Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #1

Storage ideas?

What do you do to keep stuff from sliding around in the pass through lockers?

I have a small folding table, ladder and my flag pole. They fit it the pass through locker, but how can I secure them and keep them from sliding around?

Any pics of what you guys have done?
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #2

Carpet will keep many things from sliding around. Some things like tables, and flag poles may still move around, and be strapped down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Mine is crammed so full with chairs, plastic boxes, grill etc. that nothing can move. I even installed a small wire shelving unit on one wall that I can stack smaller storage boxes that are handy. I keep them in place with a bungee cord.

electrical adapters in one, water related items in one, sewer in one and grills stuff in another. Dog stuff in another.

Even a 7" step ladder on a rack hanging from the under floor.

It drives my wife nuts but I can find anything quickly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine is crammed so full with chairs, plastic boxes, grill etc. that nothing can move. I even installed a small wire shelving unit on one wall that I can stack smaller storage boxes that are handy. I keep them in place with a bungee cord.

electrical adapters in one, water related items in one, sewer in one and grills stuff in another. Dog stuff in another.

You remind me of my Daddy. His "system" of "organization" in his workshop was "unique" but it worked...for him. He could find anything in there in a heartbeat which would take me seemingly forever to find.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:

My mix is different, but our technique is similar!

The stuff needed just after TT is set up is closest to the doors. The rest is in deeper. The tool box with small repair items is always immediately accessible.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #6

That's how my old trailer was packed and I suspect my new one will be also.
There is so much stuff in there it can't slide around. I keep all my electrical related stuff that might be needed at hook up time in one plastic bin.
I keep all the water related stuff in a 2nd bin. They are kept on one side of the pass through, along with a bag of tools, a telescoping ladder,
my PI 30A EMS, plus a couple of shore power extension cords and a couple of potable water hoses. On the other side of the pass through, I have things like my portable grills, chairs, etc.

Quote:

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:

Mine is kinda the same way. The 23B technically does not have a pass through out of the factory, but I remodeled the front dinette an removed the drawer assembly and now I have a full unobstructed pass through.

Fishing rods hang down from the dinette structure. 11 pound propane tank, 6 gallon water tank, small cooler (I have never used it) in the center, on the one side grill, stove, tackle boxes between the passage door and the tank. The other side, all the electrical cords, water hoses, wheel chocks, tool box, sewer box, and the like.

We even have our lawn chairs in the wing section that is next to the passage door. Nothing sits on the floor while traveling or at home. Everything finds the lowest location and just holds each other in place.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:

Wow! You must REALLY be vertically challenged to need a 7" step ladder. How far apart are the rungs?

Kidding aside, I find carpet helps the sliding, but the individual stacked totes with the ends labeled sure make storage, organization, and immediate access a major plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #9

Make the locker totally loaded with stuff that it resists the movement. After keeping the stuff in the locker, fill the rest of the region with old papers or fabrics. It will shield the stuff from sliding. But it won't look organized and neat. If you need to organize it conveniently, get some moving boxes or cardboard boxes as per the size and firmly pack the stuff inside it.
SherW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:53 AM   #10
Site Team

I prefer clear plastic so I can see what's inside without opening it. Cardboard turns to mush eventually in a outside storage compartment quickly.

One tip a old camper told me years ago that has come in handy several times it to carry a large piece of folded flat cardboard to lay on WHEN you have to slide under your rig to look at something.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Has anyone else out there noticed that the bottom of a storage compartment sags slightly from the weight of items being stored there? I was under my Precept the other day to look at something and I noticed that the compartment where I keep my portable air compressor had a slight depression (or bulge) on the bottom side. It's directly below where my compressor is. The compressor is not heavy as I can easily lift it with one hand but it must be heavy enough to have caused this. I can find another spot for it but was wondering if there is something I could place on the bottom of the compartment that is lightweight but would help to distribute the weight across the entire bottom. The integrity of the compartment is not compromised but I could see this happening in other compartments as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #12

Quote:
I prefer clear plastic so I can see what's inside without opening it. Cardboard turns to mush eventually in a outside storage compartment quickly.

One tip a old camper told me years ago that has come in handy several times it to carry a large piece of folded flat cardboard to lay on WHEN you have to slide under your rig to look at something.
I used to always have a old, large box to lay on. Now I have found that the outdoor rug works great! Although I'm sure the wife will be upset the first time I get grease on it.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #13

As a couple others, ours is packed pretty tight! We do have some indoor/outdoor carpet we laid down to help prevent stuff sliding, it there isn't much room left.

And considering I just picked up a 5lb propane tank that I hope will fit in the pass through, there will be even less room!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #14

Sounds like I need to haul around more crap.

I'm thinking about installing some way to attach some bungie cords to the black base of my storage lockers to strap the ladder and plastic table from sliding around. I'd hate to swerve and toss the table through a locker door.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0597.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #15

So I ended up doing this.

Not sure why the bottow two images are at a 90' angle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0604.jpg   IMG_0605.jpg   IMG_0607.jpg   IMG_0606.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #16

I just completed several storage mods on my 35S. I made a container for my 7' collapsible ladder out of a 6" x6" x8' vinyl fence post, used 2" aluminum Ell metal across the edge of the upper pass thru's to keep stuff from sliding around and built a shelf for one compartment so the BBQ and stove can be in the same compartment. I also added eye bolts in several locations to bungee down loose items like our small folding tables.And on another note I installed Yakima Kayak racks on the CRV and now we can take kayaks and bikes every where we go.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote