Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Suspension Clunks/Squeaking

Started noticing this on our Precept this week and has gotten progressively worse. EVERY little bump in the road at any speed generates a loud clunk and/or rattle and squeak from the front wheel under the passenger.

Removed everything from basements to isolate and research thus far leads me to believe I have something that has come loose with either the front suspension or shock or away bar.

Going to call Jayco Monday but wondering if this is a short term safety issue if anyone has experienced similar and what specifically they had repaired to eliminate the noises.

Thanks!!

McGarrett
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

Can't help with the noise, but since it is a chassis issue I would call the FORD MH hot line and locate a FORD dealer that will check it out. That way you save a step and get it done faster.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks Grumpy. Getting it checked tomorrow.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #4

Please have your front wheel bearings checked. Our 31UL had the same symptoms. The castle nut was either not pinned with a cotter key, or the wheel bearing assemble was installed incorrectly. When we had our front axle lifted off the ground, the mechanic was able to wiggle both front wheels in and out from the top to the bottom of the wheel / tire. We found no cotter keys. Either weren't there or had gotten sheered off. If we'd gone a few more miles down the road, our left front tire would have fallen off the axle spindle. The castle nut has about an inch of thread. Our castle nut was 3/8th inch from coming off the spindle. The wheel bearing had been turned into dust - looked like wet graphite.
Reidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

Have to agree with Grumpy. Recently called the Ford MH hotline (800-444-3311) and had great service. They'll locate a dealer close to you that can handle your problem under warranty.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

Turned out to be a loose bolt atop the shock on the passenger side. Tightened up and good to go. Camping World in North Milwaukee fit me in and got it done same afternoon under warranty This is a great location! I'm very grateful and happy.

Problem solved and I'm now a CW advocate. Jayco customer service was terrific again!!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Turned out to be a loose bolt atop the shock on the passenger side. Tightened up and good to go. Camping World in North Milwaukee fit me in and got it done same afternoon under warranty This is a great location! I'm very grateful and happy.

Problem solved and I'm now a CW advocate. Jayco customer service was terrific again!!
Glad it was something easily and quickly remedied. And given all the CW bashing I see on another RV forum, it is good to see that some of their service departments are on top of things.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote