Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Tank heaters/winterizing

I live in the Portland Or area. Our winter weather is generally above freezing. My 31UL has tank heaters. Assuming a cold snap, if the tank heaters are left on does that generate enough heat to keep the lines from freezing assuming temps are above 25 or so? Has anyone wrapped lines with heat tape or insulated them? I would prefer not to have to winterize so I can use the motorhome occasionally through the winter months. If I must winterize, what is the role of the tank heaters?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

The tank heaters aren't a substitute for winterizing. They do nothing to heat the water in the water lines. In the PNW you will need to winterize.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Our first motorhome had tank heaters and we used them on occasion while camping up north. There was also a "back seat" heater in the wet bay but some owners will just use a 100 watt light bulb on an extension cord.
We would also disconnect the fresh water hose overnight and run off the pump.

We live in southern AZ and rarely have temps down to freezing and typically only camp east and west this time of year. As a matter of fact we have more 90 degree temps on tap for this week.

Please let us know how it works out for you.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Don't count on the tank heaters.....that's not their purpose.

We're east of the hill from you and I know You get some pretty nasty ice in PDX during the winter so your best bet is to winterize. It's cheap and easy...and a lot less hassle than busted lines or fittings.

You'll not be able to heat wrap every line and fitting. You also need to get the water out of the faucet cartridges inside the coach.

Why not blow out the lines? It's easy too. Just keep the air pressure down to 45 or less.

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank heater, winter camping, winterize