Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Thinking of Transitioning from TT to Class A or C

Other than price, floor plan, fabric, and fit & finish, what should a guy consider to determine if transitioning to a class A or C is a good idea or not? Any help with this decision would be appreciated.
WhiteHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

One factor that pushed me towards a motorhome years ago was travelling with young children (now I have graduated to grandchildren!) and my parents and in-laws when they were alive. The ability to have everyone in the coach while driving has been a blessing. A bathroom is instantly available, as well as snacks or drinks for them and the driver! For the kids, having the dinette space available for on-the-road games helped pass the time, as well as having TV with that can be viewed by the passengers going down the road while a DVD movie plays. And passenger napping is usually more comfortable when you can stretch out a bit, as compared to the cab of a truck while on the road with a group. And to get the space I would want today in a trailer would probably mean a 5th wheel, so many of them are gorgeous inside and out! But I would have no other reason to own a suitable tow vehicle at this stage of my life. Many others today decide they do want a truck even when they are not towing. More power to them, whatever you can afford and want is great!

I know I spent more on my MH than many do on a trailer/tow vehicle combo, but I like travelling in my unit and having those amenities right there while going down the road. I do tow a car, I actually have both a '13 Focus and a '14 Explorer set up to go depending on who is (or is not) with the DW and I. But if you tow a vehicle, that brings a whole other set of decisions that have to be made such as flat tow, dolly, stick shift, towable automatic, etc.

I am on my third Class C now, never regretted going the MH route.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

Considered a MH when upgrading our TT but stayed with the TT after considering our usage pattern, front end cost, need for a toad, and the realization that I would end up with a $$$$$$ [fill in the figure] motorized vehicle sitting in storage for most of its life getting a max of 10k - 12k miles per year.

Bought a White Hawk and upgraded to a Duramax that we use regularly for non towing and towing. The WH doesn't require any regular maintanence other than the wheel bearings and winterizing.

Going MH is in my opinion a lifestyle issue and if you place extra value on creature comforts while on the road, a MH might be your ticket. Keep in mind that Many MH's with multi slides have limited interior access when closed and on the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #4

I did a truck camper years back and every time you want to move everything had to be packed. I like being able to drop and use the TV to get around. With a toad you have two vehicles to maintain. I have slowed down and don't drive over 250-300 miles a day most of the time and I can get all my travel companions in the my super cab. Having everyone together could in a class A could be fun while traveling.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

I agree with Bassdogs, We sold our class A MH then bought a White Hawk and a Duramax which we drive almost every day.Now the wife's car sit in the garage for weeks at a time.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I did a truck camper years back and every time you want to move everything had to be packed. I like being able to drop and use the TV to get around. With a toad you have two vehicles to maintain. I have slowed down and don't drive over 250-300 miles a day most of the time and I can get all my travel companions in the my super cab. Having everyone together could in a class A could be fun while traveling.
X2 You are "king of the road going down the road" but MH lose there advantages when you get to your destination. Most MH's don't have the room of a FW or even some TT's when you are set up and you still have to pull another complete drive train!! And if you can't get a pull thru spot in the campground, you have to unhook the toad just to park for the night!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruckerbob View Post
I agree with Bassdogs, We sold our class A MH then bought a White Hawk and a Duramax which we drive almost every day.Now the wife's car sit in the garage for weeks at a time.
Great minds think alike! Like I said MH's are a lifestyle and great for those whose usage pattern involves a lot of roadwork with passengers. There are also as many negatives as positives. When we overnite at a WallyWorld, we simply find a flat spot off to the side and put out the slide and we are good to go for the nite. Same at a rest area for a brief comfort stop and lunch. Close up [and do a double check] and back on the road in no time. Like the convienence of a truck after we set up as we use it to transport kayaks, firewood, and sometimes friends to the beach.

Before you jump on a MH, suggest you rent one and take a trip. We went that direction twice in Alaska and again in Oregon. Fly, rent, RV, and fly home. Spent our time on the vacation and not on the road just driving to our destination. You will get a feel of MH'ing and can decide if it makes sense for you. For trips where getting there is part of the fun, we pull the WHawk. For our trips [even some long ones] East of the Mississippi we decided the WHawk was the ticket.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Yes i agree a mh is the way to go if you want comfort on the road .
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #9

Thanks folks! Lots to consider but hard to adequately weight the pros and cons pointed out. I guess it's all about what's considered convenient and at what cost. I like my TT and the fact I have something to putt around in while at the destination. If I want a toad with the MH, I'm still towing and still need to uncouple. Again, thanks for the comments.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHawk View Post
Thanks folks! Lots to consider but hard to adequately weight the pros and cons pointed out. I guess it's all about what's considered convenient and at what cost. I like my TT and the fact I have something to putt around in while at the destination. If I want a toad with the MH, I'm still towing and still need to uncouple. Again, thanks for the comments.
Like I said, try renting a MH and see how you feel after a week on the road. You've experienced the TT thing, so you will be able to contrast the difference. Yes there are +/- with a MH. Maybe that will help. It is a big $$ decision and not one that you want to make on a whim.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #11

Counter Opinion

I will offer the counter opinion to Bassdogs...

I was tired of driving a full size truck every day for the sake of pulling a trailer 18 days a year. My roundtrip to work was 80km (45 miles) a day and I was getting killed on fuel. Truly our trucks only purpose was the days we towed, once you arrive at a destination, a family sized vehicle works to get you to your day trips.

We did the math probably 50 times before we pulled the trigger on the MH, for us there was a monthly cost savings of about $140. That was taking into account truck payments, trailer payments, monthly fuel expenses and insurance costs. A big part of that was trading my 1500 in for a Chevy Sonic... Not the most manly commuter car, but my V10 Dually ensured I was allowed to keep the Man Card.

Besides the dollar value we like the advantages on the road as well. With the TT and pickup the kids were limited to 1 friend on any trips and doing that meant my daughter had to squish into the front bench seat. The back seats housed the other two kids and our dog. Now we ride in comfort with 8 seatbelts and all the room the pooch could possibly ask for.

For my wife and I, one of the other factors was the lack of wasted space the overhead bunk offered. Our TT had a bunkhouse in the rear... 8 feet of real estate that would be rendered useless in a few years when our teenagers no longer wanted to travel with us. In the C Class the overhead bunk will be very useable storgae space for us in the future.

So far our only negative is the challenges the toad presents on long trips. We just finished 18 hours of driving to arrive in Myrtle Beach. We had some real frustrations on the first day finding places along the road we could stop for meals. The inability to reverse makes most parking lots impossible to pull into. We alleviated that on day two, once we had groceries, by stopping at the rest areas and makiing our meals.

We have had a 21ft Hybrid, a 34ft TT and now our 32ft Greyhawk... For us this was the way to go, we have loved all our camping adventures but the MH is awsome!!!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I will offer the counter opinion to Bassdogs...

I was tired of driving a full size truck every day for the sake of pulling a trailer 18 days a year. My roundtrip to work was 80km (45 miles) a day and I was getting killed on fuel. Truly our trucks only purpose was the days we towed, once you arrive at a destination, a family sized vehicle works to get you to your day trips.

We did the math probably 50 times before we pulled the trigger on the MH, for us there was a monthly cost savings of about $140. That was taking into account truck payments, trailer payments, monthly fuel expenses and insurance costs. A big part of that was trading my 1500 in for a Chevy Sonic... Not the most manly commuter car, but my V10 Dually ensured I was allowed to keep the Man Card.
!!
Not sure how a $100k MH, a toad, off set by some fuel savings for the daily driver, and payments for a TT and HD truck. But if it works for your family, Great!! My 2014 White Hawk's cost was less than $25k, the upgrade [my choice] to a late model duramax with trade in for my 1500 was another $20k. No payments, so my net outlay compared to a MH was probably a savings of over $65k and it would take a lot of savings on fuel cost to cover that. Insurance on a MH and toad compared to a TT and 3/4 ton has to be way more on the MH side. Now figure in depreciation and there is no way owning and operating a MH is a cost saving.

Like I said, it works for you so Great'
Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #13

Monthly Payments

My math is all about the monthly payments...

If my numbers look high... Remeber I am in Canada... vehicles run 20-30% higher here. And fuel is $1.10L OR $4.40/Gal

Trailer Option - Chevy Silverado $730 + Sunset Trail $220 + Fuel $500 = $1450

MH Option - Greyhawk $700 + Chevy Sonic $220 + Fuel $240 + MH Insurance $110 = 1270

Monthly savings of $140

There is actually a bit more savings there because the insurance on the car is cheaper then the Silverado as are the maintenance costs... I will call that an even swap on the annual licencing fee for the MH.

Those numbers are good for the 6 years the truck would be financed over... With the miles I put on I suspect the truck would not have gone past 7 years so there is one year where my math fails because the truck would have been paid for. Althought what my numbers do not take into accounnt was I had no business pulling a 34ft trailer with a 1500 and desperately needed to upgrade.

I bought the motor home long term... replacing a $40,000 TT and a $45000 Truck. That truck will be replaced at least once in 15 years so $130,000 total investment. The MH and two commuter cars will be about $160,000 in the same 15 years, minus the fuel savings.

At the end of the day though Bass is right... It really is all about preference.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

[Like I said, try renting a MH and see how you feel after a week on the road. You've experienced the TT thing, so you will be able to contrast the difference. Yes there are +/- with a MH. Maybe that will help. It is a big $$ decision and not one that you want to make on a whim.]

We'll take your advice. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #15

Bassdogs - using that quote option thing didn't work quite right - but anyway, you understand my response. Thanks again.

And thanks Griswald One - looks like you worked the figures and found what works best for you. Not sure what I'm going to do just yet but reading the responses from everyone has been very helpful and I do appreciate folks taking the time to comment.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #16

As has been discussed already this decision is a matter of life style, personal preference and economics.

However I'll add a 3rd element -- Safety. I have read where Class A MHs are not required to adhere to the same safety requirements as a passenger vehicle, where as Class C and Super C are since the my are built on a convention cab and chassis. For this reason I would only ever seriously consider a class C and likely a super C.

Someone correct if I wrong.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
As has been discussed already this decision is a matter of life style, personal preference and economics.

However I'll add a 3rd element -- Safety. I have read where Class A MHs are not required to adhere to the same safety requirements as a passenger vehicle, where as Class C and Super C are since the my are built on a convention cab and chassis. For this reason I would only ever seriously consider a class C and likely a super C.

Someone correct if I wrong.
Clubhouse, I've read the same thing - I think you're right.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Not sure how a $100k MH, a toad, off set by some fuel savings for the daily driver, and payments for a TT and HD truck. But if it works for your family, Great!! My 2014 White Hawk's cost was less than $25k, the upgrade [my choice] to a late model duramax with trade in for my 1500 was another $20k. No payments, so my net outlay compared to a MH was probably a savings of over $65k and it would take a lot of savings on fuel cost to cover that. Insurance on a MH and toad compared to a TT and 3/4 ton has to be way more on the MH side. Now figure in depreciation and there is no way owning and operating a MH is a cost saving.

Like I said, it works for you so Great'
And the 100K sets in the drive/storage for the 18 days a year?
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #19

Not Quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
And the 100K sets in the drive/storage for the 18 days a year?
Not Quite... the 18 days are just the driving days... I am in the unit 45-50 days a year at this point. Right now it is my home for 16 Gloriously wonderful consecutive days.. But yes it sits for the same 315 days a year that the $40,000 TT did.

If that was the basis for my investent... well it probably sucks either way

And on those 315 days, I drive around in my $20,000 commuter car instead of the $45,000 truck. It comes down to personal priorities and preferences. I have picked mine and I love the choice, I am pretty sure Bass is very happy with his set up and sometime in the near future Whitehawk will have finished his research and figured out what rig works for hiim.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #20

Don't own a MH but please also consider the cost of licensing the vehical. In Michigan you pay for a trailer plate once and our insurance is a rider on our homeowners. For us its about $200 a year
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote