Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Well folks, nothing to report on the safetplus stabilizer. I bought it preowned and found out today it was for a 31ul instead of a 35s so now I have a 9 month old, lightly used stabilizer for sale.

I can report though I was pleased so far with the Five Star tune as much as I can tell in a 15 mile trip. I need more windshield time to see how it really performs. Seems like it won't shift into 6th gear until it gets over 55. Wish I had the gear indicator like my diesel truck had so I call tell for sure what gear it's in.
Nick, according to the Safe-T-Plus website a 35S needs the 41-230 steering stabilizer. I'm going to order mine tomorrow. If it doesn't rain all weekend I'll get my CHF done.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #22

My understanding is the only differences in the two models is the length or the amount of movement the Safe T Plus will allow.

Steve
Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #23

That's what the factory people said. But they said the changes in the 2016 to 2017 call for a different model on the 31UL. Will give update on what they say after installation in 2 weeks.
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #24

We had a Safe-T-Plus installed at the factory Monday, it was $683.70 out the door. I highly recommend the Safe-T-Plus
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #25

Scheduled installation?

Mitch,

How far in advance di you need to schedule your installation?

Nick
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #26

Travel update

Drove about 300 miles today in the 35S, less than 50 miles on I75 in FL, the rest on 4 lane and 2 lane state and county roads.

I75 was not fun at all. Running 63 mph I was twisting the steering wheel like a NASCAR driver warming his tires. Wind gust and big rigs took full concentration.

The 4 lane wasn't bad because it was stop and go with tons of red lights for 50 miles or so. Max speed was about 50 so steering required less concentration.

The 2 lane was great running up to 60 mph, much of it was one handed, very little steering wheel input. The road was all asphalt, much of it fairly new and well crowned.

Bottom line, DW saw a Class A rollover video and that sold her on the stabilizer, no sales input from me!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #27

Nick, we were in FT Myers getting a protector put on all the fabrics, I called them on Thursday the 2nd about 10:30, and they told me I could come in Monday at 1:00. We got there about half an hour early and they started on it when we got there. We were there about an hour and a half total. I guess it would depend on how busy they are.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #28

Thanks Mitch, I'll call tomorrow. Did you camp anywhere around Atlanta?

Noticed you were from Beckley. I used to spend a lot of time there, originally at the old holiday inn on Harper road and later at the Hampton inn. I sold conveyor gearing, motors and mounted bearings to,the mining industry.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #29

We stayed at the Interstate Campground in Byron, Ga. from Friday evening to Monday morning. My wife doesn't Like being around the bigger city traffic. We went from there to a little campground NE of Chattanooga.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #30

Me too

I agree with your wife, I don't like big city traffic either, especially when driving a 36' motor home and toad.

There's a campground near Austell that doesn't look bad. The Atlanta west campground has some bad reviews so I'll check out the one in Byron before I commit.

Thanks very much, appreciate your help Mitch.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #31

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
This should help, positive caster wedges. I think F-53 spec is 4 1/2 degrees positive caster.
jaymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #32

The one in Byron is basic, no frills electric, water, sewer, no cable, wifi only at office. It's run by a widow who tries to do it by herself. Reasonable at $30.00 a night for 30 amp service. Basic but adequate for us. I live about a mile (as the crow flies) from the hotels you mentioned. Things are slow around the area, but hoping things will pick up in the near future.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #33

Installation scheduled

Talked to STP today, scheduled installation for 8am Monday morning. We will stay in their parking lot Sunday evening without hookups.

Spoke with Jim Miles about the need for the 41-230 stabilizer. The heavier weight of my 35s and length (36.5') dictates more required force from the stabilizer. The 41-180 would likely work but may not always be able to return to center. The 41-180 has a spring rating of 180 lbs. while the 41-230 has a spring rating of 230 lbs. The extra 50 ponds of force will ensure a positive return to center every time.

It will get a good road test, heading to Myrtle Beach in the afternoon. I'll report back then my thoughts.