Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Too much play in steering wheel!

Our 31L has a huge amount of play in the steering wheel. We bought the 2017 instead of an earlier model thinking the JRide would improve handling. Every 5 seconds you have to turn the wheel right then left then right to stay on course.

Is this a problem because we got a shorter class A or is there something that can be fixed? We love the RV parked but driving it is exhausting. We could go for hours driving the Class C we traded in, but are exhausted driving this one
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

Have you got it aligned yet?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

At the PDI the steering wheel was crooked. They sent it to the Ford dealership to fix that and realigned the wheels.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

Two things to do #1 is the Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer and #2 is the Cheap Handling Fix. Many posts on both, just do a Search.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #5

I had the Safe-T-Plus installed at the Safe-t-plus factory. Everyone there was extremely nice and it was installed in about 45 min. It took about an hour and a half from time we arrived until we left. It helps a great deal and was worth every penny, I still have to get a front end alignment and do the cheap handling fix.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Problem isn't so much sway as loose play in steering wheel. Is that related or separate issue.
Also I thought the 2017 had better shocks? Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

Same here

My 35s is the same way, when we brought it home empty it was wandering like a lost dog. Loading the camper with our stuff and running the tires at 100 psi showed a little improvement. Also, don't look down at the camper front end and lane edge stripes, look out about 100 feet or more and you won't concentrate as hard trying to maintain your lane.

I'm having my safe-t-plus installed this Friday along with the cheap handling fix so I expect to see improvement in the handling. I think it is totally amazing that Ford didn't think a st earring stabilizer was needed on the f53 chassis.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Nick - Please let us all know how it works out. That is our plan and we hope not to have to go for the expense of the SUMO springs. It's crazy to spend 6 figures on a unit and have it so unsafe!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Saturday evening!

We are leaving Sanford, FL Saturday morning and will arrive in Carabelle, Fl late afternoon. If I can get an internet connection I'll post my opinion in the evening.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

What did it for me was simply inflating the tires to 100psi. Now my 35UN tracks straight as an arrow down the road and is a pleasure to drive. It had 85psi before.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #11

Loose play in the wheel can also be the steering gear or the steering shaft going down to the gear. Probably more than one shaft since it's a class A. And they have u-joints on them that wear out. Just throwin' that out there...
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #12

We only have 80 lbs so no wonder ride is sloppy. Need to find out how to inflate rear tires. Service place wanted $60 for a house call. Have to find a place to help us and see if we need to buy something to do the job. Suggestions appreciated

We are going to Atlanta to get a Safe T Plus too. Want to have them install it at the factory so it's done right
Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #13

Probably much less expensive to pick up a small air compressor capable of 150 psi or so. That ensures your tires will be fully inflated. There are 12 vdc models for automotive applications, with a plug for the power port on the dash. But the cable won't reach, and any voltage loss will dramatically affect the performance. I'd go with 120 volt, and just crank up the generator when using it. It can reside in one of your storage cabinets for use while on the road. Probably just about the cost of a single service call, and you'll always have it with you.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #14

I am having Valve Stem Extenders added next month to the Dully so I can easily maintain rear tires. Having it done at Jayco when the coach is there for the spider cracks
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

Thanks all. We are set to get valve extenders added at Discount Tires so that we will be safe for return home. Lifting back, removing outer tires, adding extenders is about 90 min job. $64 The next day we get the SafeTplus. So happy to have this forum and access this treasure chest of information
Old 03-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #16

Wasted day

Well folks, nothing to report on the safetplus stabilizer. I bought it preowned and found out today it was for a 31ul instead of a 35s so now I have a 9 month old, lightly used stabilizer for sale.

I can report though I was pleased so far with the Five Star tune as much as I can tell in a 15 mile trip. I need more windshield time to see how it really performs. Seems like it won't shift into 6th gear until it gets over 55. Wish I had the gear indicator like my diesel truck had so I call tell for sure what gear it's in.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by suscamper View Post
Thanks all. We are set to get valve extenders added at Discount Tires so that we will be safe for return home. Lifting back, removing outer tires, adding extenders is about 90 min job. $64 The next day we get the SafeTplus. So happy to have this forum and access this treasure chest of information
If you don't mind, what is the out-the-door costs at safetplus?

Nick
Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #18

I was just quoted 638. Out the door, this was for a heavier model (a 26k lbs chassis). Not sure if that made a price difference.

Steve
Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #19

Amazon pricing

The 41-230 on Amazon is $471 with free shipping and uses the same bracket kit I have on the 41-180 that is too light.

The thing I don't get is my f53 chassis uses a 41-180 unless the length is over 34 feet, then safetplus tells me I need the 41-230.

I may just bite the bullet and get the 41-230 and use my existing brackets. Hopefully I can recover some of the costs by selling the 41-180.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #20

They told me that the 2017 with the change in wheel size and other changes needs one typically used for over 34 feet even though we have the 31 UL. It will be a different one than used for the 2016 Otherwise the steering will be too difficult on turns. I don't think they would have realized that at a camping place so glad we are going to the factory where they have all the models