Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Question Tow vehicle

Precept 31ul - I'll be picking up my new 31UL soon and will be towing my 2014, Ford C-max. (flat tow) I'm coming out of a Class C (450 E-series) which towed it easily. Kept speeds on freeways around 67 or 68, to keep up with flow. No issues. Any towing issues or concerns (on freeway) at those speeds to report with the 31UL? Some say they try to keep it at 65, probably safer but that just seems a tad slow. Also, thought the J-ride was supposed to be the answer to a smooth ride and stabilizing scenario!?
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #2

We tow a Ford Fusion Hybrid with no issues at any reasonable speed. Average 62-65 but have done 70+ with no difference. Our ride is great with or without the tow car. Enjoy your Precept!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #3

I tow a 2012 Jeep wrangler with no issue at all. I don't even know its back there. I also use a blue ox tow bar.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

x2 for me. I keep my rear camera on my Equinox because I can't believe I can't feel it. I also keep my speed between 60 and 65 because I've noticed that since I turned 70 years old I've become "a tad slow"
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

We flat tow our Honda CR-V and don't notice it at all. I try to keep our highway speed maxed at 60-65 as I tend to be in no rush wherever we're heading.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

Wink Thanks

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. I feel more comfortable about the tow already. I know I'll find the sweet "cruise" spot between unit and tow, fairly quickly.
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #7

I would like to know how many tow a vehicle and how many have the significant other drive the other vehicle. When we retire we will probably never venture more than 100 miles from campsite to campsite every other week. The cost of setting up all the equipment to tow and the low cost of gasoline at this time has me wondering whether towing has any advantages.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

We do both - tow and drive separately. Mostly drive separately when I come directly from work if we are camping close enough. We normally tow if I take off work and we can go together.

You are correct that setup is expensive. We just moved from the Greyhawk, where we towed for two years without a brake on the Jeep, to the Precept, where it seems much harder to stop with the Jeep in tow. Don thinks it is the weight of the Precept. So now we have an appointment this week to get the brake added to the Jeep ($1400!). Is it worth it? Definitely if it prevents an accident. Probably should have had the brake all along, but we really don't tow much or far. Should save wear and tear on the Precept brakes in the long run.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

megalucky, when we had our Greyhawk, we rented cars at destination when we needed and that was satisfactory for 5 years. With our new Precept, we had it equipped to tow in the event we would winter in the South. Sure enough we became Winter Texans and that’s a must have situation.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #10

Tow vehicle

Since the Precept 35u has the same engine as the 31 but obviously weighs more, does that mean it tows less?
New Honda Pilot ( 4000#) cannot be flat towed, so was wondering if a tow dolly could be used. Tow dolly weight. 400#, so that would be total of about 4500#. Is that doable With a Precept 35?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote