Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
RWK

Towed to Ford

Funny thing,
I got this from the forum yesterday:

(Happy Birthday from your friends at the Jayco Owners Forum!

May the coming year be packed with excellent adventures, perfect camping spots, lovely crackling campfires and good friends to share in the fun.

All the best)

It arrived while I was broken down on the roadside after the engine cut out for no reason while doing 60 miles per hour. It's an adventure alright..... Not an excellent one though.

Now I wait for Ford to figure it out.... Again. Not our first RV, we know the game. Only 6K miles in this beast.

Peace
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170427_214740710.jpg  
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

I hear ya! Sounds like it's an adventure, nonetheless. One of these days, you'll be able to look back and laugh at the irony of the situation. Hope you get back on the road again soon!
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Ouch!

My worst fear, broken down on the side of the road. Let us know what Ford says.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
Funny thing,
I got this from the forum yesterday:

(Happy Birthday from your friends at the Jayco Owners Forum!

May the coming year be packed with excellent adventures, perfect camping spots, lovely crackling campfires and good friends to share in the fun.

All the best)

It arrived while I was broken down on the roadside after the engine cut out for no reason while doing 60 miles per hour. It's an adventure alright..... Not an excellent one though.

Now I wait for Ford to figure it out.... Again. Not our first RV, we know the game. Only 6K miles in this beast.

Peace

You were driving and it just quit?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
RWK

Spoke with Citrus Ford in Ontario CA, they can't get into the repair for us until Monday, but think the fuel pump failed based on my descriptions of the events. Apparently fuel is important for movement.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
RWK

Alante woes

So after the breakdown on the 15 freeway Ford has had the coach for a week or so. It wasn't a fuel pump as first thought. Ford found a wiring loom under the coach on the drivers side of the chassis/engine area that had rubbed itself raw against the chassis. It shorted out various systems and caused a complete shutdown of the coach. Burned out a big fuse and sent the system 9 or 10 various trouble codes. They spent some time tracing the wires and found the loom, then they found another loom that was wearing on the other side of the engine. The mechanic told me it could have been avoided if Jayco had zip tied the loom away from the chassis. He repaired, replaced and strapped it away from the chassis. I will take pictures of the loom / location when the coach gets home. Its still with them right now. I picked it up yesterday and after paying Ford (now I get to petition Jayco to reimburse me which they have been good about) I hooked up the jeep and begin my drive home. 20 minutes into it I got an engine light. I turned around and went back to the dealer. The long and short of it is I have a bad catalytic converter......They say it's unrelated and it's a ford warranty item not a Jayco issue. Looks like it will be a few weeks before I see it again. The tow company, Ford roadside assistance and Citrus Motors Ford did a great job taking care of us.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

I feel for you. Our 35un Precept was brand new on our first long trip. In the middle of nowhere Kansas the right front wheel bearing let go. Thank god we were towing and had a vehicle. Two weeks and high anxiety later got the coach back. Ford and Jayco stepped up and we were taken care of.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Low Standards for Wiring Routing

When I was under my 31UL doing urgent mechanical repairs in the right rear wheel well area, I noticed some very poor wiring installation practices - unprotected wire bundles stretched over 90 degree steel angle corners and the like. Haven't been up front yet but this thread should serve as an alert, even a WARNING, that there are problems lurking in that area. When was the last time a new buyer got under his RV with a tech during PDI to look for the REALLY important stuff like this? Loose or missing screws in critical areas, wires dangling halfway to the ground, chaffing wire bundles; you name it, I've seen it.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #9

It takes weeks for a catalytic converter replacement? Ugh.

As to the wiring I always look at these A's and think how Jayco essentially builds most of it as opposed to the C's where at least the Chassis is almost all Ford. I've seen the rats nest wiring job Jayco does under the bed and other places; I guess it follows through to everything.

Which is pretty sad.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
RWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
When I was under my 31UL doing urgent mechanical repairs in the right rear wheel well area, I noticed some very poor wiring installation practices - unprotected wire bundles stretched over 90 degree steel angle corners and the like. Haven't been up front yet but this thread should serve as an alert, even a WARNING, that there are problems lurking in that area. When was the last time a new buyer got under his RV with a tech during PDI to look for the REALLY important stuff like this? Loose or missing screws in critical areas, wires dangling halfway to the ground, chaffing wire bundles; you name it, I've seen it.
Yep when it comes home, I'm going underneath and photographing, telling and zip tying it up.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #11

we broke down on side of the road on our first trip with our new jayco, water hose came off. apparently the hose was not properly clamped when installed at ford factory. Ford came through for us, paid towing fees, repairs, all expenses while waiting for part to arrive and for our trip to Houston and back.
Terrell/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
So after the breakdown on the 15 freeway Ford has had the coach for a week or so. It wasn't a fuel pump as first thought. Ford found a wiring loom under the coach on the drivers side of the chassis/engine area that had rubbed itself raw against the chassis. It shorted out various systems and caused a complete shutdown of the coach. Burned out a big fuse and sent the system 9 or 10 various trouble codes. They spent some time tracing the wires and found the loom, then they found another loom that was wearing on the other side of the engine. The mechanic told me it could have been avoided if Jayco had zip tied the loom away from the chassis. He repaired, replaced and strapped it away from the chassis. I will take pictures of the loom / location when the coach gets home. Its still with them right now. I picked it up yesterday and after paying Ford (now I get to petition Jayco to reimburse me which they have been good about) I hooked up the jeep and begin my drive home. 20 minutes into it I got an engine light. I turned around and went back to the dealer. The long and short of it is I have a bad catalytic converter......They say it's unrelated and it's a ford warranty item not a Jayco issue. Looks like it will be a few weeks before I see it again. The tow company, Ford roadside assistance and Citrus Motors Ford did a great job taking care of us.
We had the same issue. Rig shut down on highway ramp.
Ford dealer identified small wire that had insulation worn off and shorted out ignition system.

My worst fear has happened. It's now a good story to tell.

Despite the "pucker factor" that resulted from a sudden stop on a highway ramp, and 18 wheelers wizzing around us; Ford, Jayco, and Coach Net came through for us.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote