Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Smile Traded in the C for an A

After debating and weighing the pros and cons for the last two years, we purchased and took delivery of a 2016 Precept 31UL yesterday. Traded in our 2011 Greyhawk, 31DS which had issues from day one. The extended warranty (which ran out in May) more than paid for itself. Hoping our experience with the Precept is better than our Greyhawk. However, started off kinda iffy.

Arrived yesterday at dealers 2 hours from home for scheduled pickup appointment. First thing they told me is the water heater did not work after they tested it, so they had a new one overnighted, but it had not yet arrived. By the time we got through our walkthrough and signed all the paperwork, the new heater had arrived, they installed and tested and then we waited while they washed the camper. They said they installed the most recent version of the Girard tankless water heater. However, it was installed after our walkthrough, so I was not really shown how to work it.

Drive home was fun with huge windshield. Have started making my notes of small issues as I heard a whistle from either the windshield or drivers side window (Don was driving), drawers popped open, bathroom and closet doors would not stay shut, and what is it with the crummy plastic shower door latch? How do I replace that quickly?

Arrived safely home, and have an issue with the curb height going into our driveway. Motorhome went in after putting some wood in the gutter, but we are looking for a better solution. Once in, the electric power cord was too short to reach the plug installed on the outside of our house, so we could not charge or really do much last night.

I'm sure to have loads of questions as time goes by. Love the floor plan and can't wait to test everything. Booked for this weekend, so I am keeping all fingers crossed things work as they should.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

Get yourself an extension for your shore power cable. As far as the curb thing, the only real way to fix that would be to put some high strength concrete in the "V" where the driveway meets the street or replace the entrance of the drive. I think I'd deal with the wood remedy. The whistle you hear is kinda sketchy. Definitely have that looked at. It could be something outside whistling or worse, an opening letting air into the cabin. Which in turn, will let water in. But anyway, good luck to you two and have fun!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Don has already purchased and added the extension cord, so we are now plugged in. As far as driveway goes, no way would township let us add the concrete. I am looking at ordering some curb bridges. They aren't cheap, but would be well worth it if they work. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also still looking for a solution to the plastic latch that holds the shower door open while driving. Greyhawk had a really strong metal latch and I never once had it pop open. It was always closed when driving, Precept seems the doors need to be open when driving and the latch did not hold on the way home yesterday.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

Regarding the noise from the Windows, check to make sue the window is all the way closed. You can tell by the lock, if it's in the correct position. The Windows can seem to be closed and it latches but the latch isn't catching. We had this problem. We realized the window wasn't all the way closed. You really have to push.
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #5

Our 2017 26 X Alante also has issues with the passenger window. I have tried everything to lubing slider and making sure it is latched properly and it is still a whistler. I have to make a 300 mile round trip to my dealer.
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the hints. I will try that. We are two hours away from our dealer and have to go back for a roof satellite install in the next 3 - 4 weeks. I am working on my "bug" list.

We had ongoing issues with the slide unit in our Greyhawk and was one reason we decided to trade it in. Last night when I brought the kitchen slide in on the Precept (unit was mostly level, but not completely), the kitchen slide actually tilted as it was coming in. I could see the microwave tilting backwards. Brought it out and in several times and then tried to sync the slide. The slide is in, but there is a gap at the top on one side only of about 1/2 - 1 inch on the outside.

Any suggestions until we return to the dealer? I am already beginning to panic!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #7

No suggestions on the slide but here are some of the issues that I had and I fixed most of them myself
1) the radio speaker shut it5self off but the radio is still on and it will not turn on again until the master power switch is cycled off & On. still not fixed.

2) swivel seat base locking lever went south. Jayco sent a new base and I had it put in. Not sure if I will ever get reimbursed.

3)LED ceiling light, Jayco sent a new one that I put in.

4)Retractable steps door switch fell on the screen door and I fixed with screws

5)Kitchen sink drain leaked and I had to replace all the piping for both basins

6)Screen door gas lift cylinder anchor stud on the door casing was loose so I did my own fix for that. I could see no way to hold the nut to tighten it.

7) when the bedroom slide is out I can see an big air gap and this will make the AC work harder, still not resolved.
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellen30 View Post
Thanks for the hints. I will try that. We are two hours away from our dealer and have to go back for a roof satellite install in the next 3 - 4 weeks. I am working on my "bug" list.

We had ongoing issues with the slide unit in our Greyhawk and was one reason we decided to trade it in. Last night when I brought the kitchen slide in on the Precept (unit was mostly level, but not completely), the kitchen slide actually tilted as it was coming in. I could see the microwave tilting backwards. Brought it out and in several times and then tried to sync the slide. The slide is in, but there is a gap at the top on one side only of about 1/2 - 1 inch on the outside.

Any suggestions until we return to the dealer? I am already beginning to panic!
We've owned our 2015 31UL for nearly 2 years now and much like you (and others) had a number of small things for the dealer to take care of. We are very satisfied.

Regarding the kitchen slide, ours does the exact same thing on retraction. We've been told by many that this is normal. Not a technical person, the slide has to pivot like that to slide in I'm told. However, if your slide is not all the way in, that's a problem.

We have a slight gap on the INSIDE, when closed, where the slide meets the pantry above the sink, but after some debate with Jayco & the dealer at delivery, we've determined it is just cosmetic and our slide is sealed tight when in or out.

The hot water heater is pretty straight forward. In the 2015 the temperature control is in the bathroom. If you keep in the temperature in mid range, you should have plenty of hot water & not cause the "reset" button on the actual heater (outside) to pop.

The one time (on our shakedown cruise) this occurred, I called Girard directly and was good to go in just a few minutes.

You'll find plenty of discussion about this (and everything else) on the Precept owners group forum:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html

Good luck and enjoy your adventures!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #9

First trip out this weekend in the new 2016 31UL. Loved it! So much more room than the Greyhawk had.

Couple of small issues we found, but will address with the dealer in a few weeks (jacks came up, but panel said one was still down, bedroom closet drawer opening when driving and I can't figure out how to adjust). Hubby fixed the bathroom door that did not stay shut. Not sold on this tankless water heater at this point. We filled the grey tank WAY faster than we had with the Greyhawk. Hoping it is just because we are learning. Luckily we were in full hookup. I have read everything I can about them. Anybody know "ideal" temp to set them? I had it set at 114F and shower was good ,but kitchen faucet never seemed to get hot enough for the dishes. Seem to have to run loads of water before getting to hot on any of the faucets.

Kitchen slide still needs adjusting. Top corner above the kitchen is out about 1/2 - 1" on the outside.

We only found one remote that worked for all three televisions. Shouldn't we have three remotes? There is another remote that says Seiki, but couldn't get it to work on any tv.

Had a great first trip in the Precept, even though it rained all day Sunday. Don loves the new macerating system!

Input appreciated!