Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Transfer switch

Just went on a long trip in new precept 35UN. When we hit a big bump in the road the a/c' s and all electrical would go off. The generator was running and could hear it trying to kick in. We turned off all breakers and back on and then things would start working again. This happened about a dozen times in 8 hours. When I opened up the space under the bed the wires to switch from the generator were not even tightened down. Jayco sent a new transfer switched that I installed. Started home and worked for about 6 hours and hit a big bump and this started again. This happened just 3-4 times on way home. There has to be loose wire somewhere. Any suggestions? By the way, I have found tons of loose screws and other problems. The quality control guy at Jayco needs to be fired.
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 AM   #2

I'm thinking the QC guy needs to fire some line workers. I was always of the opinion quality can not be inspected in, it has to be there in the first place.

IMHO

I am on my 3rd transfer switch after the two previous ones smoked.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #3

Just noticed this and posted about our similar experience. Noticed the same would happen with hard stops (sometimes even regular stop lights). Generator kept running though. Has anyone asked Jayco about this?
AugerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

I took a test ride in our 35UNm and just got home. It is currently 108 degrees but is supposed to warm up later today (joke).

I had genny running and both A/Cs going as we drove. All went well for 30 minutes or so and then the A/Cs went off. Wife restarted them as we traveled and they ran a few minutes and then stopped again.

I have a voltage meter in one of the AC outlets she can see from her seat so she began watching it. Things would be fine and all of a sudden voltage would drop to zero and everything shut down. The genny never missed a stroke and ran well.

Once home I was just sitting in coach waiting for her to open the gate so I could park and the A/Cs went off again and I was not even in gear.

I'm thinking a wire is loose, prolly on switch box, and have appointment to take RV to shop on the 6th. This will be on the list as we are driving this rig on a 3500 mile trip beginning 7/24.

BTW - I took this test drive today after installing the 5 Star 3V RV tune to my coach. WOW!! That is certainly a HUGE improvement!! It really is like having two more cylinders, just like they advertise, and the transmission has perfect manners now. I RECOMMEND THIS UPGRADE!!
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

You need to have them look at all wires. Most of mine were never tightened down. I take mine in on the 3rd with a very long list of repairs
Old 06-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #6

I took the wood cover off under bed and checked the lugs yesterday afternoon. They were all tight and I could not find any problem with the switch box. I did fix two other issues I had on my list while there so it was worth doing. I may check the wires at genny if I get time or else let dealer earn his money.

Did you get your level system recalibrated OK?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

Yes I got jacks leveled. I need to do again to tweak a little bit but now know it works. I am hearing of a lot of people with same issue as mine with generator. I hope they can figure mine out.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

We have had problems with the generator stopping with both the 31ul we had, and the 35un we have now. I've narrowed it down to the generators getting overheated, or the oil level dropping to below the full line. As far as quality control goes, all the builders don't have ANY!!!
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

Jacobsnc.... My generator keeps running, but you can hear it trying to switch over. Everything electrical stops running and will start back when you throw the breakers and turn back on.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #10

My genny runs good too, just loses voltage for no reason? I'm thinking switch box problem.

Hey, remember when you are using your level system that ANY movement in the coach can mess it up. That goes for simple leveling at camp site or if you are recalibrating the system - you must be very still when the controller is "thinking". After you get the level you want you should sit down and wait a few seconds before hitting the retract 3 times to remember the setting. Give the coach time to settle after you walk around and sit down.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

Thanks for the info all. Great exchange. So far our genny has performed as supposed to. Used it 3 days in the last 10 and no shut downs.
mowdoc............thanks for the BTW on the 5 star 3V tuner. I'm gonna have to look in to that.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #12

What breakers are tripping? If the genny is still running it sounds like you have loose wires or a bad transfer switch. Are the two breakers on the genny tripping?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #13

None of the breakers trip. But when you turn them all off and back on everything works. We tried figuring out which breakers made it work, but was different every time. And no the Benny breakers were ok
Old 06-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #14

Does everything work ok on shore power? I'm leaning toward bad transfer switch, but I am no expert.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #15

Everything fine on shore power. I replaced the transfer switch but think I have another bad one.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFireman View Post
Everything fine on shore power. I replaced the transfer switch but think I have another bad one.
OK,,,,,,,,,,,spoke too soon. Last weekend we had no AC working with the generator running. Genset started fine, ran smoothly, both breakers were in the "on" position. No AC or microwave or outlets had power. Everything worked fine with shore power.
So I am thinking the transfer switch may be the culprit.

You replaced yours once, where is it located, what does it look like. I'll be talking with my dealer tomorrow but if I can replace it myself, I will.
Thanks
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

I mentioned this to the service manager here in the OKC CampingWorld and he said he had never heard of this. I will drop it to him in a few weeks for the 30 day punch list follow-up and he said he'd investigate in the meantime. I will report back as I figure out our similar issue.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #18

Transfer switch located under the bed. Let me know if your wires are even tightened down.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #19

It is a big silver box. Shore power and gen wiring go in. Wire comes out other end and goes to inverter
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #20

Thank you TheFireman. I appreciate it.
Roadmaster base plate