Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Tri Fold Sofa Bed

I am re-posting this here as I can't seem to upload pictures to the post I did under the social group.

We have the 2017 Precept 35S. It came with the tri fold sofa bed, which makes out into an almost king size bed. HOWEVER, when we set it up, and put the back cushions in the middle, they stick up a good bit higher than the fixed cushions on either side. And the whole thing seems to slope down (head lower than feet). Even if we got the height difference resolved, there is a somewhat wide gap at the top side of the middle section - third picture (two-tone cushions sit on the beige section). I'm thinking, over the course of a night, the cushion edges might sink down into the gap. Overall, it seems poorly designed.

We contacted Jayco and they said to to take it to the dealer and get it adjusted (this was apparently what they were told by the supplier). We looked at it and couldn't see anywhere it could be adjusted (my hubby is a good handyman), so took it in. The dealer couldn't find anywhere, either, that it could be adjusted. We recently shared the unit with family, and this big bed could only be used by one child sleeping across on the inside cushion. The rest of the bed was pretty much unusable.

This is not a regular sofa bed with a mattress. It folds out and the sections of the sofa, along with the removable back cushions, make up the bed (kind of like the dinette). The back cushions seem to be filled thicker than the rest of the sofa, thus the difference in height when you put it together. I don't want to have to pack around and store a topper for the occasional time it will be used.

I'm working with Jayco and the dealer to get it replaced. Not clear yet whether that means just replacing the unit with another from the same supplier, or replacing with something completely different. As it probably won't get used that often, may look at upgrading to theater seating.

In the meantime, if anyone has had a similar experience and was able to remedy without replacement, or having to haul around and store extra toppers, etc., please let me know what you did.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170511_113609.jpg   IMG_20170511_113714.jpg   IMG_20170524_095039432.jpg  
Naulty60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

Tri Fold Sofa Bed

We also have a 35S with the same sofa. It is truly a shameful thing. If you do get your situation resolved, we would be more than interested in learning how. It is uncomfortable to sit on and impossible to sleep on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #3

Didn't anyone sit on it or open it up before buying the coach?? Ask the dealer if Jayco will swap it out for a '16 couch, ours is very comfortable both as couch and bed.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

Honestly we didn't open it. We also wanted the unit we purchased from stock and no theater seating equipped units were available nearby. I contacted Jayco about ordering one and retrofitting locally with no reply. The 35S marked the immense majority of our must have's. Too bad the sofa isn't one of them but not significant enough to have had us choose any of the other alternatives considered. Like the Girard, which Jayco changed, I sat in an 18 sofa that is quite better. Loved the new chairs with adjustable armrests. Didn't care for the change in the island, no wall decoration. Back to the subject of the OP, yes, the Tri-fold leaves a lot to be desired in both capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

So Jayco advises that the supplier told them it could be adjusted. Since it can't (and the rep I have been corresponding with says he has only heard of this problem once before), they have offered to send a new one for the dealer to install. At this point, it appears to be our only option without forking over more money.

I had inquired about possibly upgrading to theatre seating and they said that would have to be arranged through the dealer. Sent an email to the dealer asking them to get a price and they came back with US$4,000, plus $700 for shipping. I think the dealer misunderstood that I was looking for replacing the sofa they have already agreed to ship - in other words the difference in value between the two. The website shows theatre seating as a $1684 option, so I had expected something closer to CAN$2200 allowing for exchange. Regardless, even at $1684 plus exchange, we can go into any furniture store in the area and find something ourselves for much less, and probably better quality.

I know it's not uncommon for convertible sofas in RV's to be a bit uncomfortable, so we'll go with the replacement sofa for now, and if it's still totally unsuitable as a bed, or, as some have mentioned, too uncomfortable as a sofa (haven't sat around inside too much since we got it), then we'll look at pulling it out and replacing it ourselves.

They are also sending us a new mattress for the main bed, as the one that came with the unit started to form definite dips where we slept, within less than 10 nights of sleeping on it. Hopefully it was just a defective mattress, but I know the manufacturers don't usually put the best mattresses in at the start, so we may be looking to upgrade that on our own dime as well.

Otherwise, we love all the other features.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

Check out this site Allure Series 2-Seat Reclining Pillow Back Black Leather Theater Seating Unit with Cup Holders, BT-70295-2-BK-GG by Flash Furniture | BizChair.com
Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #7

Jayco refered me to the supplier of the sofa. I called them, and they recently purchased the original supplier company. They have opened a warrantee ticket.

We had originally planned to purchase the 31 footer, and even have pictures of us laying on the sofa bed in that unit. It came with a set of flat cushions to go in the middle space. We saw no reason to open this one up after seeing the Kitchen and saying "gotta have it!" Who would think it would be so dramatically different??

Don't try buying a topper to minimize the problem. Your hips and knees will still be too high (Well, in my case my daughter and S-I-L).

Darn it, that king sized sofa bed was perfect size for two adults traveling with you!

If I get a resolution, I will post it here.
DianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #8

Interesting. The latest (via the dealer) is that even if they replace it, we will probably have the same issue. No point in going through the hassle, just to have the same result. Their answer to the dealer was that the centre cushions need to be "massaged" into place. No idea what that means, and haven't had an answer back yet from my direct email to Jayco again.

My DIL and granddaughter tried it out one night and said it was OK, but they slept across, so each one was basically on their own set of cushions. Not the way it's intended to be used, though. We will be taking the rig out in a couple of weeks, and will try out the bed ourselves. My hubby thinks the cushions will settle under our weight and will be fine, but I have my doubts. We don't expect it to be used as a bed a whole lot, but we get visitors when we snowbird (usually older folks like ourselves), so we don't want to have to put them up on the overhead bunk.

Would you mind letting me know who you are dealing with. No one yet has offered direct dealings with the supplier.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #9

my daughter didn't like the 'comfort' (haha) of the couch sofa when opened up.

so, we went to local foam company and they cut a piece of foam padding to
put on top of the couch. much more comfortable and eliminates the
gapping from the sofa cover when opened.

we simply put the foam in top of the drop down bed over cab area when
not being used...

works great.

mike
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote