Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

TV Help!

Our broadcast stations work great.

We stayed in a resort that had cable, turned the amplifier off, hooked up the cable, scanned the tv. Had cable but, I found out a day or two later we didn't have any hidef channels, just thought it was our spot and didn't worry about it.

We are now at another resort and all cable is hidef/digital. Turned off the amplifier, hooked cable, scanned all three tv and nothing, doesn't see a channel

We have a 31ul, 2016, three Seki tvs, any ideas??

Thx,
Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #2

No TV signal at your site? Will your cable reach another site to verify?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

Over time we became surprised when the cable actually worked. Lots of campgrounds with poor to non existing cable service. Since TV is not that important to us we usually just give it a try and if it works great and if not up goes the antenna .

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #4

Everyone else has tv, hooked my neighbor up to our lot and he has over 200 channels using our connection. At least the tv works on the Prevost!

I'm lost....

Thx,
Steve
Old 10-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Over the air works?

Steve,

Can you get channels over the air?

If none of the tv's find any signals on your cable hookup you may have a broken lead between the cable input and splitter. Make sure your cable has the center copper wire intact on both ends, sometimes these break off.

One thing to try, if you have enough coax is to run a cable from your pedestal
direct to the tv, bypassing the coach cables. Kitchen and bedroom would be easy in my 35S, not sure how I could access the outside tv yet.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

You don't have a switch, do you? My trailer does the same thing if the cable button isn't switched over. In my trailer, it's behind the TV where all the cables are. There's a looped cable and another cable (from outside connection) with a button that needs to be pressed to get cable.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
You don't have a switch, do you? My trailer does the same thing if the cable button isn't switched over. In my trailer, it's behind the TV where all the cables are. There's a looped cable and another cable (from outside connection) with a button that needs to be pressed to get cable.
I believe that's the "amplifier" he's talking about?

That's the only "button" in my setup anyway. It turns the 12V antenna amplifier on and off.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

That's the only "button" in my setup anyway. It turns the 12V antenna amplifier on and off.
Ahhhhh..ok
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Steve,

Can you get channels over the air?

If none of the tv's find any signals on your cable hookup you may have a broken lead between the cable input and splitter. Make sure your cable has the center copper wire intact on both ends, sometimes these break off.

One thing to try, if you have enough coax is to run a cable from your pedestal
direct to the tv, bypassing the coach cables. Kitchen and bedroom would be easy in my 35S, not sure how I could access the outside tv yet.

Keep us posted.
Yes, channels over the air are just fine. Actually I'm impressed with the reception!

It may be a couple weeks now as we are back home to try directly from the pedestal, I like the idea.

Thx,
Steve
Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:

Yes I have one amplifier switch in the far right cabinet over the couch, I have turned this off.

Is there something somewhere else that I'm not aware of?

Thx,
Steve
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

When you scan for channels you have 2 choices. Either Antenna or Cable. With my Furrion TV I need to scan for channels with the "Cable" selection when hooked up to campground cable. It made a huge difference for me. I checked the Seiki web site and looked at a user manual and your TV should have the choice of scanning Antenna or Cable. Only thing I can think of is the frequency is different for cable vs. over the air antenna.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
When you scan for channels you have 2 choices. Either Antenna or Cable. With my Furrion TV I need to scan for channels with the "Cable" selection when hooked up to campground cable. It made a huge difference for me. I checked the Seiki web site and looked at a user manual and your TV should have the choice of scanning Antenna or Cable. Only thing I can think of is the frequency is different for cable vs. over the air antenna.
Yep I'm familiar with that, did the scan with all TVs on cable and amplifier off.

Didn't work

Steve
Old 10-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Yep I'm familiar with that, did the scan with all TVs on cable and amplifier off.

Didn't work

Steve
This does sound like a connection issue from the outside RF connector on your unit to the distribution of connections inside.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #14

Outside possibility: Is there a chance that you needed a CG provided box? I stayed at a CG once that gave me a box. I hooked the cable to the outside port on my trailer from the pedestal, and then wired in their box inside my trailer to get channels.

Seems like it would be pretty obvious, but you never know.

Those connections behind the plates in our trailers have been known to be of "questionable" quality and completeness. Perhaps one of them has come loose? Hopefully it's one of the "easy" ones behind the junction near the TV.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Outside possibility: Is there a chance that you needed a CG provided box? I stayed at a CG once that gave me a box. I hooked the cable to the outside port on my trailer from the pedestal, and then wired in their box inside my trailer to get channels.

Seems like it would be pretty obvious, but you never know.

Those connections behind the plates in our trailers have been known to be of "questionable" quality and completeness. Perhaps one of them has come loose? Hopefully it's one of the "easy" ones behind the junction near the TV.
Yep no box required, everyone had cable tv except us. Spoke to several around us and they did nothing but scan cable.

I hope you're correct, I hope I find a cable or fitting loose. I did check the fitting where the cable comes in and it was barely finger tight.

Thx,
Steve
Old 11-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #16

Okay, I'm now thinking I needed to select a new input from my "HDMI 4x4 UTP Matrix" switch.

Never thought much of it but I now believe it can select an input and which TV to send that to.

Electronics Challenged,
Steve
Old 11-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #17

Don't believe that's the problem.

Steve,

I believe the hdmi switcher just works to send audio and video signals to your 3 tv's, not rf. But I could be wrong also, I have the connex switcher and I'm pretty sure it only shifts an audio/video from one source to other destinations. That's one of the items I have put off reading the manuals until we get to FL in January.

I would presume if we had a satellite receiver we would have to bypass the coach coaxial cable. Not sure if the splitters Jayco uses would provide power to the dish through the splitter.

Running cable directly to the tv bypassing your coach wiring will be definitive.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
Site Team

First thing I would do would be to eliminate something.

Run a coax cable thru a window and bypass the camper coax to the tv and re-scan. Some campers have a coax loop box that allows you to break the loop and bypass the antenna amplifier for use with a satellite dish. They have been known to be wired incorrectly.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...s-39049-2.html
I'll see if I can find a diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Tv - Antenna-Cable Connections - .jpg  
Attached Images

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #19

The wiring behind/ under the TV looked like spaghetti in my 35S. I took the cabinet apart to get to my wiring and spent and hour laying there straitening it out, cable tying and strapping it so the TV 'elevator" hardware would stop crushing/ cutting into my AV cables. While under there I found all the coax connectors were barely screwed onto the amplifier and other connections. There is a good chance that the OP has had a cable fall off a fitting.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
First thing I would do would be to eliminate something.

Run a coax cable thru a window and bypass the camper coax to the tv and re-scan. Some campers have a coax loop box that allows you to break the loop and bypass the antenna amplifier for use with a satellite dish. They have been known to be wired incorrectly.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...s-39049-2.html
I'll see if I can find a diagram.
I had no idea this was behind my amplifier switch, I'll check that first, if it looks wired correctly and everything snug then on to straight cable to tv and try a scan.

Thx,
Steve