Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

Two Spark & Smoke Problems Caused By Poor Workmanship

Generally I like my 31UL 2016 Precept but disappointed with issues like these:

In July I had sparks come flying from under the dining table during slide out. The problem was that the wiring for the electrical outlets on each side of the table was not tacked up so the wires caught in the slide out track. (Note to others: check under the benches for dangling wires to avoid this problem.) I'm still trying to get Camping World to get these outlets to work again.

I'm currently into day 14 of a 21-day excursion. When I pulled into our site at the RV park last night and turned on the leveling system smoke started pouring out from under the rig and the front jacks did not go down. Turns out the hydraulic line was not properly harnessed underneath the rig, had too much slack and hit the exhaust which burned the hydraulic line. Thanks to Good Sam Travel Assist and a great mechanic all is now fixed. But I'll still have to deal with Jayco/Camping World to see about reimbursement for the $450 repair bill.
NancyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

Stuff like this really ticks me off!
To leave unsecured electrical wiring and cause a potential safety issue goes beyond making the product cheaper or making more profit.
I understand that this stuff is made with cheap materials, but I don't feel installing the cheap materials properly is too much to ask.
Just my opinion.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Agreed. Very frustrating.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #4

Perspective

Just as a perspective, there are many of us out here who have never had an electrical problem. Maybe we are just lucky or not effected yet.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

I spent an hour and a half crawling around under the coach with a bag of cable ties securing wires, hoses and tubing. I used all 100 cable ties and found a tank heating pad hanging by its wires so I used large cable tie to strap it up so it wouldn't get damaged and had the dealer re-epoxy it in place.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks for that suggestion. We will definitely go on a "tour de rig" looking for more wayward wires.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #7

I also removed all the drawers and the back of the trash cabinet back and vacuumed all the construction debris out, insulated the water lines, and found the TV mechanism was smashing a bunch of the A/V cables so I cabled tied those out of the way. Next is to un-smash a water line that is between the storage compartment and the coach frame.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote