Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #1

Very odd charging problem

I bought a new 2016 Precept 35US a month ago, and as far as all electrical systems go - everything has been fine.

I took a three hundred mile trip last week, driving through heavy rain at times, and things still seemed fine. Came home and plugged it in, which I always keep it plugged in.

Just went out and found the chassis battery to be dead - 2.86 volts. Coach batteries are fine.

I tried using the boost feature, and I could hear the thunk of the solenoid kicking, but no assist, no boost to start the engine.

Started trouble shooting and right now it appears that when the coach is connected to shore power, and properly charging the coach batteries, it pulls (drains) the chassis battery.

If I put a charger on the chassis batt with no shore power it charges the chassis battery. But when I plug in it starts to drain the chassis battery, even with an external charger connected. That's some drain!

First question is obviously whether anyone has heard of this problem. Second question is shouldn't the on-board charging system from shore power also keep the chassis battery hot? Thanks!
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Start by cleaning all the ground connections involved and if that doesn't help then move on to troubleshooting the Aux Start relay.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Here is one thing I know that when I drive in heavy rain in my 35S a whole crap load of water gets on my electrical system in the battery/ propane compartment. So much so that I am going to enclose it. Your chassis battery being drained is just plain weird, some how there is a load on it or something is causing a short to ground but one of high enough impedance to not cause a fuse to blow. I would plug in and then start to check for hot chassis battery wires. I wouldn't screw with this too long if it were mine I get it into the dealer and let them fix it. The last thing you want is a fire and you have a warranty so get it in!
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

I would isolate your chassis battery by disconnecting and then see if the battery will take a charge and hold it with a battery charger. If you have a shorted battery, it could be giving you strange issues. I don't own a precept but I don't think your chassis battery is charged off of your converter.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

The chassis battery is charged of the converter in a Precept.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

So far this is what I know...
The chassis battery is in good shape. I removed the neg cable and charged it, removed charger and took a reading, measured again in three days and no drop, solid 13.4vdc.

The converter definitely is not providing any voltage to the chassis battery when coach is plugged in. Differing opinions on whether it should by design or this is not a feature. Nothing in the book.

Tomorrow I will reconnect the chassis battery with the coach not plugged in and check for drain. I expect a very minor drain from misc parasitic guys like radio memory, but nothing of significance.

If the drain does not appear I will then plug in the coach and see what happens...
Old 11-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Let us know what happens. One thing we did after we purchased ours as well as our previous motorhomes was to put a meter on the chassis battery when plugged in to check if there was a charging connection between the two. We never did find that to be the case so we have always installed a Trik-L-Start connecting the coach battery to the chassis battery for charging.

Some of the smaller motorhomes also have a connection in the reverse where the engine alternator will charge the coach batteries while underway.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevfra View Post
So far this is what I know...
The chassis battery is in good shape. I removed the neg cable and charged it, removed charger and took a reading, measured again in three days and no drop, solid 13.4vdc.

The converter definitely is not providing any voltage to the chassis battery when coach is plugged in. Differing opinions on whether it should by design or this is not a feature. Nothing in the book.

Tomorrow I will reconnect the chassis battery with the coach not plugged in and check for drain. I expect a very minor drain from misc parasitic guys like radio memory, but nothing of significance.

If the drain does not appear I will then plug in the coach and see what happens...
I would very much like to hear from you when you find your problem!! It sounds like you are going thru it in a logical way. Interesting situation!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Here is one thing I know that when I drive in heavy rain in my 35S a whole crap load of water gets on my electrical system in the battery/ propane compartment. So much so that I am going to enclose it. Your chassis battery being drained is just plain weird, some how there is a load on it or something is causing a short to ground but one of high enough impedance to not cause a fuse to blow. I would plug in and then start to check for hot chassis battery wires. I wouldn't screw with this too long if it were mine I get it into the dealer and let them fix it. The last thing you want is a fire and you have a warranty so get it in!
Please show us how you end up enclosing that bay, because I want to do it as well. Maybe you have something in mind regarding materials or a prefabricated enclosure?
Old 11-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

thanks for all of the info. great to read these posts and continue to learn.

my only issue has been drained engine battery while at storage .
to help correct this I added a battery quick disconnect on the chassis battery to
reduce this problem. I will post a picture of it... you simply turn the dial
to engage/disengage the connection...

Mike
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote