Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Water coming back from black tank flush

Today on my 2017 Precept 35 S, I connected the hose of the black tank flush while emptying the tanks. After allowing the black tank flush to fill for a while and when I completed the maceration, I remove the black tank flush hose. While doing so a considerable amount of water came back out through the black tank flush connection. Any idea as to what maybe is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #2

Depending on how it's routed it could just be the residual water draining out of the line. The back flow preventer is right at the tank.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

Back flow valve is above toilet level in most rigs. Usually under a vanity or in a wall at an inconvenient spot. I won't go into how crappy they are. I get rid of them and use an inline one at the intake due to leaks in every one I've owned. What you saw is the inlet side draining back and is normal.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Would the inlet side be draining through the black tank flush? I'll probably be dumping again today and will see if it comes back out. Didn't have this problem in our previous trailer and the MH before it didn't have black tank flush so this is a new experience. I'll report later if it did it again. The inconvenience is the amount of water that goes into the bay floor.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Would the inlet side be draining through the black tank flush? I'll probably be dumping again today and will see if it comes back out. Didn't have this problem in our previous trailer and the MH before it didn't have black tank flush so this is a new experience. I'll report later if it did it again. The inconvenience is the amount of water that goes into the bay floor.
After a recent flush valve disaster I will not use the flush again until I remove the valve and reconnect the flush input directly to the hose going to the tank.

With that said, you do not need to flush your tank every time you hit the dump station. Remember on a sunday afternoon there are typically others waiting in line to dump before heading home. If you do need to flush, you might consider a rest area on your way home. Many states have dump stations at interstate rest areas. They are almost always empty and you can take all the time you want.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

We're at a campground with full hookups so not going to delay anyone. Just dumped and again an inordinate amount of water came out of the elbow I installed at the black tank flush inlet. I'll turn the flush water off and wait a minute or two before disconnecting to see if it's latent pressure or what!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

Can you hear it flushing, or confirm water is actually making it to the tank and out the dump? As in do you have a clear fitting on the sewer outlet to confirm water flow. Just checking as I did have one rig where the nozzle in the tank became clogged and would just pressure up the line and spit it back out the inlet when the hose was removed.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Arrived at the house and will be using a clear elbow and hose instead of the macerator to dump and will listen to hear if I can detect water going into the tank through the flush. Has anyone adapted any kind of clear fitting on the macerator hose/connector/outlet? I sure miss the use of one as I had in the past and will be trying tomorrow. The macerator has advantages but really miss the ability to see "what's going on" to ensure all is really clean.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #9

Well I connected the black tank flush and could definitely hear the water going in. I also installed a clear elbow on the traditional hose instead of using the Sani-Con and did a really good flush. When I finished, this time I turned off the hose (as I had done before when I was getting all the water back out from the inlet) AND disconnected it from the spigot side. When removing the hose from the black tank flush elbow inlet, all is good. Moral of the story? There was enough pressure in the hose at the previous location after turning off the spigot to cause the back flow so problem solved. Now, if I could only find a way to put some kind of clear piece between the Sanicon and it's hose to verify a good flush without compromising the integrity of the system!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #10

You'd think somebody makes a clear piece for that.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #11

I wonder if it's proper to start another thread to find out if anyone has been able to adapt a clear plastic "something" to their Sani-con. I'd certainly buy that!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #12

I probably would since the titles catch the attention. You got this thread figured out.