Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Why I change my own oil!!!

Frustrated - that is the word. I just changed the oil on my 31UL after Camping World of Longmont Colorado had done the previous oil change. I had to use a cheater on my wrench to eventually get the filter off!! It took 3 revolutions before it would easily spin off. The oil ring was stuck on the mount. Thank goodness the moron "mechanic" had not stripped the drain plug or the filter. Attaching a photo of the oil filter. The only good thing ... they used a Wix/Napa filter so it had good metal on the sides, otherwise it would have had to been chiseled off. Moral of this story..... change you own oil and it will be done correctly. (Also stay as far away from Camping World as you can)
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Filter.jpg  
jdmeyerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #2

Probably didn't put a thin film of oil on the gasket of the oil filter before installing it last time.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Agreed

I figured that and brut a strength contest to just see how tight he could get it on.
jdmeyerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

I changed my own in our motorhomes and still do in our vehicles, for reasons like you mentioned. Ford blamed me for a stripped oil pan plug once, which I have never done. Hard to trust anybody these days.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #5

I enjoy doing my own oil changes and believe in the merits of synthetic oil. Some of it is a trust thing, I guess. Unless I'm able to actually see what oil the garage is using, I'd always wonder if they're dumping in standard oil & charging me for synthetic. Regardless, I have found that the built-in hex on the K&N filters makes for a much easier change on my 2010 Sierra 1500. There is a frame member that limits access and movement on these trucks. I own at lest four different styles of filter wrenches (sleeve, belt, cam) and none of them work as well as the built in hex for this series of truck. Just my 2 cents as I don't have a vested interest in the product. I only offer up the info as an option for someone who might not be doing their own changes for this reason or for someone who may be looking for an easier way to get the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0484.JPG  

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #6

Just wondering sense the oil fill tube is tucked way up high under the hood how were you able to get the oil in?
fish8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

I had to use a funnel with a flexible fill tube on it on our class A if I remember right. A bit more aggravating the first time but piece of cake after that.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

As long as I am able, I will do all of our vehicle maintenance, save recalls and jobs too large for my tools and facility. Unfortunately, I Know too much about dealers and "service" shops.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
snip -- Some of it is a trust thing, I guess. Unless I'm able to actually see what oil the garage is using, I'd always wonder if they're dumping in standard oil & charging me for synthetic.
There have been several investigative reports from different parts of the nation on dealerships and several of those "quick oil change" companies who shall remain nameless but have the same first name as a popular campfire popcorn...
I helped my ex wife and her husband in finding and providing proof that a major dealership company who had been servicing her Jeep and her husbands Dodge had been doing exactly that. They had been paying for full synthetic oil changes and the dealership was putting in regular oil.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #10

I went to get my oil changed when I got my new Ram pickup, and ordered up full synthetic. I watched as the numbskull started filling it with regular dino oil. I stepped out and stopped him. He said it was synthetic. I said call the manager. He drained what had been put in and got the good stuff off the shelf... broke the seals... and added the oil. After they couldn't find the fuel filters, I told them never mind, I'll do it myself. Needless to say, I've not been back there, and I've warned off a few. Now it has changed franchises and owners... I don't wonder why.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #11

I just did my first oil change in 31ul and used Aimsoil 5-20 xl it came with a flexible screw on cap that fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk