Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2017, 04:41 AM   #1

Window Whistle

Minor complaint, my Driver/Pass windows tend to whistle sometimes even when latched completely, and to make it go away, I make sure it is closed all the way and open the latch. Seems kind of silly.

Is this just the way it is? Is it worth a Warranty claim? Do I just need some felt or rubber strips? What have you guys done?
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #2

we just open the latch - seems to happen when the window not fully closed and latch causes it to push the window out.
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

You need to look at the screws that hold the window latch to the frame. My coach had to long of screws holding the latch in place. The screws would hit on the screen frame and not allow the window to fully close and latch. Shorter screws allow the window to close completely.
Bicycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Attached is a photo showing the screws that hold the window latch in place, they are to look and hit the screen frame. As part of warranty repairs my dealer put in shorter screws,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0033.jpg  
Bicycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

Thank you for the tip. My 31UL is in for warranty work and that is one of the problems. It will be interesting to see if that was the dealer repair.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Got the moho back from the dealer. The screws are the correct length. Jayco told them to apply caulk but that didn't work either. Still have the whistle.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

Drivers side window on our Alante had the same issue. For us it went away on its own. Which was very annoying because I added it to our warranty list and since it wasn't an ongoing issue they charged me a $125 "diagnostic fee" at camping world. I'm still attempting to get that charged back on my credit card.
enjo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

We just bought a used 2015 31 UL and the driver/pass windows don't just whistle...they rattle and roar at highway speeds. We will check the screw length, but have found the only to get some peace and quiet is to stuff the windows with cardboard strips and foam. Gotta be a better way than that!!! Anybody tried weather stripping, etc?
jkblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #9

The drivers window on our '16 31UL also rattled badly when going down freeway. They removed the entire window assembly and added (not replaced) another piece of weather stripping around the complete assembly, re-mounted the assembly and it's been quiet ever since. Much better!
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #10

Our 2017 31UL had severe cab noise at above 30 mph from Day 1. We called it "A dozen chirping birds." That was our best effort to characterize it. This issue is well known to the Jayco service folks in Middlebury. I don't know exactly what they did, but I do know they replaced both sliding glass assemblies (including the frames). It was not a simple problem of latch screw length in our case. For those who are suffering with this annoyance, I just want to assure you that there IS a fix. Now there is NO abnormal cab noise, we have logged hundreds of miles to convince ourselves that it is finally fixed, and we are happy campers.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

Thank you---we will try the weather stripping idea and also contact Jayco for some more guidance. We thought our ACE was noisy. This is just impossible....clearly a defect!!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #12

Thank you!
Old 06-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #13

I found the window was not completely closed. Gave an extra push and it closed completely. No more window noise.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

Your problem is likely the rubber gasket at the back of the window. My gasket is bent a bit and the window doesn't go all the way back not allowing the lock to grab the screen. Whe driving down the road it shakes itself open a bit. Maybe a little silicone lub will help?
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #15

We had a lot of wind noise on our brand new 2016 and they replaced the windshield which eliminated most of the noise
J-Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #16

We just close the window and screen as tightly as possible and open the latch - magic! The whistle disappears. I suspect the screws as discussed above are the culprit.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetters View Post
I found the window was not completely closed. Gave an extra push and it closed completely. No more window noise.
This proved to be the culprit with ours also. The mating surfaces weren't exactly parallel with one another. Tilting the sliding window ever so slightly before latching COMPLETELY eliminated the very annoying problem.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #18

My husband figured it out

Our problem was in the manufacture of the window. Seems the window glass was not riding in the correct groove and could not be closed without a gap on top. My husband cut a skinny little piece of oak and slid it underneath the glass, so the window slides on the wood and now tucks nicely into the weatherstripping on top. Everything is tight and quiet now! Boo to Jayco for sloppy construction!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkblair View Post
Our problem was in the manufacture of the window. Seems the window glass was not riding in the correct groove and could not be closed without a gap on top. My husband cut a skinny little piece of oak and slid it underneath the glass, so the window slides on the wood and now tucks nicely into the weatherstripping on top. Everything is tight and quiet now! Boo to Jayco for sloppy construction!
What's especially interesting in our case is that the entire window assembly, including the frame, was replaced at the Jayco Service Center, primarily due to the window requiring extreme force to slide, but this had no enduring effect at all on the whistling problem. So I guess Jayco's window assembly vendor makes them all exactly the same, at least as related to whistling, with identical issues remaining. (Except for the screw length issue, which obviously is different).
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #20

I just moved the latches from the inner edge of the window frame to the outer edge of the window frame. The dog ears on the latch never properly engaged the frame to lock the window in place. Moving the latches to the outer edge of the window frame engages the dog ear fully in the frame channel.

I'll test drive tomorrow to see if the whistling is affected.
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote