Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Winterizing

Is there a step by step for Winterizing my precept 35 UN?
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

Where I live the temps really don't get cold enough for a hard freeze very often, but it can happen so I do winterize. If I miss a couple drops I will be OK and I have never had any freeze damage yet.

On my Precept I have opened all facets with pump off and water heater off. Then I opened all four low point drain valves. One is the water heater drain, one is the fresh tank drain and the other two are hot and cold plumbing drains.

I drove around town a little and let as much water come out as would with these things still open. Not much came out on road - maybe a quart.

Next I closed all valves and pumped RV anti freeze fluid thru the entire system. Only thing left is the ice maker and there is a thread running for that now.

Be sure you dump the toilet water and pump A/F to it. Also be sure to get some A/F in all drains.

That is more than I need to do but better safe than sorry. Perhaps some people from cold climate will chime in with tips for that?
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #3

Your Jayco Owners Manual also provides step by step winterizing. It really makes the process go smoother if you have a helper. M & I use our cell phones. I run the pump from the AF bottle and she opens/closes faucets one at a time.
Like mowdoc said, look on the Precept Owners Group forum for more details.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #4

Here is how I did my ice maker, Fireman. Take the panel off the side of coach that covers fridge. You will see a solenoid that has a waterline coming to it from the left along floor. There is a valve just before the line goes into the solenoid and the line is connected with a brass fitting similar to a garden hose female fitting. Close the valve and unscrew this fitting.

Next you will see a smaller plastic line coming out of solenoid running up the fridge and is covered with foil and has wires enclosed with the line under the foil. Unscrew this plastic fitting. This line goes to the ice tray and is used to deliver water from solenoid valve to ice tray. All you need to do for this small line is blow into it and it will clear easily. Once blown clear, you can reconnect it to the solenoid.

To pump A/F thru the large supply line with brass fitting just pump A/F thru it with valve open exactly like you would any other faucet inside the coach.

All those wires wrapped around the ice maker fittings are supposed to be there so be careful not to disturb them. They are heater wires that help with fridge operation.

Looking back at all this writing I see this seems difficult but it really is not. Winterizing the ice maker is pretty simple once you get into it and see things.

One tip, use a straw or tube of some kind to blow the small line clear. It is hard to reach this tube with your mouth. Another person can stand by freezer door and listen for air at ice maker when you blow the line. Then you know you got all the water out.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

Wow! I didn't even think about the "Ice Maker". Thanks for bringing it up.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

I live in Las Vegas so it does not really get a deep freeze here, yet . What I did is in the main box I turn all 4 valves on and drain whatever in the tanks and in the line so I could drain. Not sure what valves are what because they are not marked. Then I drain the hot water tank. After that I hooked up my air compressor to the water intake fitting and I put 25 pounds PSI into the freshwater tank with drain valves open. I was surprised how much more water came out of the drain valves. Then I switched to city fixture and had the wife turn on the hot water side and the cold waterside of the Fossetts and showers. Also had her flush the toilet. After that I poured antifreeze into the sink in the kitchen and bathroom and also in the shower. Also poured antifreeze in the toilet without flushing it. I've never use my icemaker but I'm gonna check that out today.
Terry2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #7

Terry2000..........outside shower?
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

oh Yes, I also did the outside Shower. Thanks D&MAKAFUN
Terry2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

One little hint that I'll share. As I was attempting to siphon the antifreeze into the system like the manuals states, I was unable to get any suction. After several tries I finally called Jayco customer support. Got Bill on the phone in a very short time. Told him my issue and within seconds he asked if I had reversed the screen on the input fixture. I had not even thought to do so. He explained this helps keep the input valve open when there is low or no pressure. It's not a problem when hooked up to normal city fill. After switching the screen, antifreeze was sucked into the system in no time. Took about 5 minutes and I was done. Jayco CS is GREAT!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote