Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #61

Update on the sewer solution: after a four day trial, I really like it. I like not having to level the line. It's very easy and essentially cleans itself prior to removal. If you have a Precept, just know that you will require an extension because if you try to directly mount the SS the grey water valve won't allow you to connect the water hose portion. I popped into town and bought a clear 3" extension and plan to leave it in place and cap it rather than the native tube. So far, so good. But of course, this is at a full hook-up park. I suspect at a dump station, that I would just dump with it and worry about a proper flush out (via the tank flush hose attachment on the Precept) once I'm home since I can use the SS with my sewer clean out at home. I'm a bit OCD about it and it seems to take 20-30 of flushing to get a clear effluent no matter what system you use. YMMV.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #62

Also an update on my previous post about trying to streamline operations: the handi hose is a bit different than I had envisioned. It certainly rolls up and fits into a nice compact package which makes for great organization however once you try to run water through it, it's a different story. First, if you are not careful to lay the hose out in a straight, untwisted fashion it will kink and water will not flow. You essentially have to lay it out in a sweeping arc (see pic) to allow the water to flow properly. Then when disconnecting, it is a bit of a process to fully drain the excess water. I grabbed the middle and "milked" the water to each end past the newly formed kinks. Definitely not a time saver after all but still remains a space saver. I will try a few more trips and see if this set-up survives.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5534.JPG  
Old 07-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #63

Anyone have a sun shade recommendation for the Precept? The front curtains help a little but that end always seems to bake.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #64

AugerN, I have a 2015 29UM as well. I bought 4 large automotive reflective sunshades and some suction cups from home depot. Then I cut some small slits in the shades. I hung 2 shades side-by-side up high on the front windshield and suspended 2 more shades from the middle of the windshield to the dash. Anecdotally, it seems to have cooled the coach down significantly especially when parked in storage. My DirectTV receiver is in the right upper cabinet and used to overheat. Now it doesn't occur.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #65

Cycledoc675, thanks! Can you post a pic when you get a chance?
Old 07-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #66

It's not very high tech, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4409.jpg   IMG_4408.jpg   IMG_4410.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #67

Thank you, Cycledoc675 for the pics! I will rig something similar this week and give it a try.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #68

The Precept has been used 17 out of the first 30 days of ownership! Still loving the RV lifestyle as my kids refer to it as!

Latest thoughts: The shower works well and is a nice size but the shower pan seems soft with lots of give near the door/drain. Are all like this? It's solid along the walls however.

I realize that dilution is the solution to the pollution (as the saying goes) but man I feel like I'm not helping with water conservation when I flush my black water tank! I dumped yesterday and then used the tank flush inlet to refill the tank twice by closing the valve (while observing levels via the toilet) then dumping and still had quite a lot of TP pieces and assorted residual return. I'm a bit anal (pardon the pun) and there is something satisfying about properly maintaining the system but I feel like it is going to take a lot of clean water to keep the tank fairly clean. I do however realize that the system would still function without such extensive frequent flushing but there again this has become something of an obsession.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #69

Also, the locks on the basement doors must be low quality. I have lubricated them (silicon not WD40) and they stick, often taking a jiggle to get the key in and the lock properly turned. Not to mention several doors either won't stay closed or are difficult to open even once unlocked which is more of a latch issue than a lock issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear there is much adjustment possible on these but I will see what the dealer says at the follow-up. At this point, I think I'd be OK with paying to add quality aftermarket locks.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #70

AugerN....as for the locks, mine were fairly difficult to operate with the key. I used powder graphite and it made a world of difference. I continue reapplying every 3-4 months or when the key seems to hang up.
As for the BT and flushing......it is the nature of the beast. Are you using chemicals in the BT that breaks down the solids and paper?
Word of caution on filling your BT with the valve closed...........watch Robin Williams movie "RV". The longest I have ever let the water run into the BT with the valve closed is 1 minute.........and that's after I had emptied the contents with gravity.
Yep, the shower pan fails to drain completely, is "soft" & flexes. To reduce moisture as much as possible, we wipe down the shower including the floor after we have finished showers.
Congratulations on breaking in your Precept. It's great the family is enjoying the "life style". LOL
You are building memories and experiences that will carry on for generations.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #71

Thanks Darrell as always! I haven't but will eventually get around to watching that movie. It does sound like something I would do though. I allowed it to fill somewhere between 5-8 minutes and still had quite a bit of room to go by looking into the toilet. The gauge of course read 1/3 full! :P And yes, I have been using chemicals/water each time the tank has been dumped.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #72

Drove home from the tag agency (finally has proper plates!), and the gen shut off with a stop. Typical! I didn't reset the power cut-off switch I typically do because I was close to home. But when I pulled in the drive, I restarted the generator, leveled and put the slides out. I then noticed an intermittent sound coming from under the back bed that sounded like a pneumatic wrench. Even after I was no longer moving the slides and the only thing on was the interior lighst. It lasted a few seconds at a time and occurred about every 20 seconds. Also the AC units did not come on so I realized it must be a power issue. The inverter showed yellow but no faults listed. I reset the cut-off and then everything powered up fine and the noise stopped. Was that the transfer unit I was hearing or do anyone know? I still have yet to remove the screws and look at the components below the bed.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #73

Hmmmmmm, I haven't a clue. I removed the panel & hardware under the bed on our 31 UL and boy, I need a road map to figure out where, what is.
We'll have Bertha home next week so I will do some checking. I know, that doesn't help right now, sorry.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #74

Thanks, Darrell. It stopped so I'm not too worried. Just more curious. When I have a bit more time, I'll pop the cover and have a look too.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #75

First major trip observations:
1. Just when I thought we had the hot water figured out it threw us for a loop. At first, we set the temperature gauge at about 2:30 on the dial. Turned the hot water on full in the shower with no cold. Perfect. The next time we tried it scalded then ice cold. I think it was more of a pressure issue with the camp water than with the hot water tank. Consistent pressure seems to be the ticket. We had more pressure using the coach pump than with camp water.
2. The generator is a fickle beast. Checked the oil level before we left and sure enough it was low. Filled it and took off. Determined that quick stops and rough roads give it fits. County roads in Oklahoma and Colorado shook us to pieces. Still may have an issue with the transfer switch. Microwave and air would lose power with the genny still running. Gonna check that out this weekend. Hit 50 hours on the genset so I'm changing the oil and cleaning the spark arrester.
3. All and all we had a ball.
4. We did see a couple of Precepts heading west on I-90 on the way to Wall, SD on 7/22.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #76

Day 2 of the current trip and headed into Colorado from NM. We've taken the advice of others and have the crockpot on. Ours is a bit bigger so it's in the shower instead of the sink.

Here's the recipe we use at home and used today. Best crockpot roast we've tried.

one roast
one pack of dry ranch powder poured onto the roast
one pack of au jus or brown gravy onto roast
one full stick of butter placed onto the roast
4 pepperoncinis on the roast

cook on low for minimum of 8 hrs
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender-3.jpg  
Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #77

Wish I had taken a picture when I had the cover off under the rear bed. I thought I had an issue with the automatic transfer switch recently. It was a bit messy under there but not too bad. The generator was running but no power. The transfer switch has a green light notated to light up when on generator power and my light was off. Low and behold, I remembered that I had turned off the circuit breakers on the generator the last time I shut it off (a trick I use to keep by DirecTV satellite dish from rebooting when powering down the genny) and I forgot to switch them back on! I saw another post in this forum about the generator/AC issues that pinpointed the problem with poor connections in our AC units. He recommended removing the air intake and filter, then removing each individual blade connector, tightening them slightly with pliers, and then reinstalling with dielectric grease. Not sure exactly what he is talking about, but figure I'll know when I see it.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
Day 2 of the current trip and headed into Colorado from NM. We've taken the advice of others and have the crockpot on. Ours is a bit bigger so it's in the shower instead of the sink.

Here's the recipe we use at home and used today. Best crockpot roast we've tried.

one roast
one pack of dry ranch powder poured onto the roast
one pack of au jus or brown gravy onto roast
one full stick of butter placed onto the roast
4 pepperoncinis on the roast

cook on low for minimum of 8 hrs
Now that's true ROCK AND ROLL RVing mmmmmmmmmmmm tasty
Roadmaster base plate
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #79

Odd thing - Turing on the awning LED lights, they start off very bright. Then about 3-5 minutes later they go to their typical brightness (minimal). Any ideas why?

Also, has anyone found out the proper way to operate more than one TV on the same channel without the delay/echo effect? We have the front TV on the overhead speakers and the boys may be watching the same channel on the bunk or rear bed TV and it has a bad echo.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #80

I don't know about the light oddity.

A guess on the tv echos...tone down the ceiling speakers.

Hope all is going well & CO is cool & fresh.
Roadmaster base plate