Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
snip... I also picked up the sewer solution as a possible solution to dumping in my sewer clean-out at home. I figure if I don't like this, then I might eventually graduate to the macerator pump. I'll let you know soon as we have a 10 day coming up.
I'm interested for the exact same reason. I have a septic hookup at home, but it's a bit too far away for normal hoses; the Sewer Solution seems like it would be perfect. I've read that you can even hook the SS hoses to the appropriately sized PVC and it works great.

Quote:
Oh, and I just assumed with this system I wouldn't really benefit from the tank back flush and would still rely upon the built in flush system.
I think you're right on here; I don't think the backflush would do as good as an on-board tank flush (which I also have), but it might be useful in a pinch.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #42

AugerN:
I don't have anything to add as far as a time-saving measure, but I do have a question from a health standpoint. You are not planning on keeping your fresh water hookup hose in the same storage bag as your sewer hookup items are you?

It has been stressed to me over the years always keep fresh water items and grey/black water items separated. And it is good practice to develop a procedure you stick to so as to eliminate any possibility of cross-contaminating your fresh water. I do it by forcing myself to hook/unhook water connections first, electric and cable next, and sewer last, carefully washing after the sewer items before touching anything else.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #43

That probably wasn't clear in the post but the SS water hose stays with that kit in sewer kit storage bag. It has the dedicated back flow preventer which distinguishes it front the other hose and I will also add some red tape as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #44

For my next mod I ordered a Clarion DVD brake bypass circuit from Ebay. And now having seen how easy it is to access the wiring harness, I will soon add an amp to power the in ceiling speakers and a small sub.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #45

Stupid water pump (stupid owner). See my thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...sue-28846.html

Update on the Clarion issue. So I figured out to remove the faux wood panel to expose the nest of wires behind the Clarion. Turns out that the mass of wires was heavy enough to made loose the connection of the wire harness to the Clarion and causing it to turn off with every bump. So I used wires ties to take some of the pressure off of the mass of wires and more importantly to tightly secure the wiring harness to the body of the Clarion. I will try to post a pic later as the CG wifi isn't that good apparently since I've tried 5 times so far! Anyway, a 5 hour pressure test on a bumpy road went well and the unit didn't turn off once. Also making sure all connections were tight has resolved my camera issue and it works as prescribed (even underway).
Old 07-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Thanks, Camper Bob! The rate limiting step for me thus far has been the sewer - both set up and dumping. The set up slows me down because I spend some time trying to get a good downhill flow and it never seems to work out anyway.

AugerN try this Sewer accessory for your downhill flow issues, I use mine anytime I have full hook ups:

Camco 15' Sidewinder - Walmart.com
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Stupid water pump (stupid owner). See my thread: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...sue-28846.html

Update on the Clarion issue. So I figured out to remove the faux wood panel to expose the nest of wires behind the Clarion. Turns out that the mass of wires was heavy enough to made loose the connection of the wire harness to the Clarion and causing it to turn off with every bump. So I used wires ties to take some of the pressure off of the mass of wires and more importantly to tightly secure the wiring harness to the body of the Clarion. I will try to post a pic later as the CG wifi isn't that good apparently since I've tried 5 times so far! Anyway, a 5 hour pressure test on a bumpy road went well and the unit didn't turn off once. Also making sure all connections were tight has resolved my camera issue and it works as prescribed (even underway).
Yahoo........congratulations. One of my dealer's techs told me "the factory builds them and we (the dealer) finish them".
From all the posts it seems that we (the owners) do the real finish work.
Enjoy,
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #48

So in heavy rains last night the rear slide let some water in. It was an issue with the vertical rubber gasket on either slide had slid down and when extended, didn't really provide a seal. I had noticed that the side slide had this happen often (enough so that I check it and have to put it back in the right spot every time I extend the side) but hadn't noticed it with the rear. Brought the rear slide in a bit and pushed the gaskets back to the right spot and extended the slide. Rains continued but no more leak. It would be nice if those stayed put. I may have to look and see if it's something that can be secured, glued, zip tied, duct taped, something...
Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #49

Funny story: Our 10 year old loves to cook and loves spicy foods. So we brought fresh jalapeno peppers to stuff with cream cheese and grill. Turns out that this is a bad idea in a confined space. They began to slice and deseed the peppers and suddenly all 5 of us start coughing and eyes began to burn. Not as bad as when I've was sprayed with OC (pepper) spray but definitely not fun in a small space...
Old 07-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #50

We went through the same experience with a "Sirius ready "radio versus you expect when you buy a car. After seriously considering installing the antenna and trying to find the discontinued module, we opted instead to use our Sirius Internet radio add-on option to our car's subscription. Couple bucks a month more. Then we use our iPhone through the "iPod audio input" on the Clarion radio and just manage usage in our data plan when driving and connect through Wi-Fi if available at the campground. A lot easier and cheaper!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #51

Good idea McGarrett50. I noticed while having the dash off that the GPS antenna is run just slightly forward of the radio and mounted on a board just under the dash - basically where the slope of the dash almost meets the windshield. I wonder if a Sirius/XM antenna would work sufficiently mounted in the same area so that one wouldn't have to mount on the roof and risk a leak.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #52

I was afraid of a leak too. I'm not an engineer, but I would wonder if a Sirius antenna would work if not exposed to the sky, even though the GPS antenna is inside. There must be a reason they are on top of automobiles. May be worth exploring.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #53

Quote:
So in heavy rains last night the rear slide let some water in. It was an issue with the vertical rubber gasket on either slide had slid down and when extended, didn't really provide a seal. I had noticed that the side slide had this happen often (enough so that I check it and have to put it back in the right spot every time I extend the side) but hadn't noticed it with the rear. Brought the rear slide in a bit and pushed the gaskets back to the right spot and extended the slide. Rains continued but no more leak. It would be nice if those stayed put. I may have to look and see if it's something that can be secured, glued, zip tied, duct taped, something...
AugerN.........those rubber seals shouldn't move up and down. If they have movement, put that on your punch list for repair. They should be secured so they keep water out.
Also, as a side note, it is almost always necessary (at least for me) to manually flip the vertical rubber seals once I deploy the slides. With one exception........the bedroom slide (31UL) has different seals and they never need adjusting.
By flip, I mean pulling the rubber that has curled in when the slide is put in. It is supposed to roll out when the slide is deployed and lay flat against the slide once fully deployed.
Because of the height, I use a 4' step ladder (I carry with me) and a yard stick to slide behind the rubber to the top of the slide.
I hope that makes sense.
I also treat the rubber seals 3-4 times a year with the rubber seal spray offered at any RV dealer to keep them from drying out and staying flexible.
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #54

Boy that is odd Darrell. That shouldn't happen. Just checked my seals and they seem to be operating as expected. I think I will step up treating my seals more than 1x/ year. Thanks

Wanted to ask you, other than DIY, any tips or tricks on the best way to get your generator oil/air filter changed while on an extended road trip?

I put this out in a new general thread also but wanted to see what you think or have done. Todd

Old 07-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #55

Almost any RV dealer can service a generator. Advance appointment might be wise. Also, any Cummins-Onan dealer can/will service it.
Also, when making campground reservations, ask them if they have someone in the park that does minor repairs/oil changes.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #56

Thanks as always guys! I continue to learn!

Another story: My 10 year old son loves to cook so helped my wife with the grocery list. The first night of this trip we planned to do some grill work and he wanted to do grilled jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese. So he and my wife began cutting and de-seeding the fresh jalapeños and suddenly we all start coughing and then our eyes began to burn. Not as bad as when I was sprayed with OC (pepper) spray but definitely cleared out the coach for a bit. Needless to say, the boys have another RV life story to tell...
Old 07-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #57

Clarion rigging!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5456.JPG  
Old 07-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #58

Quote:
Thanks as always guys! I continue to learn!

Another story: My 10 year old son loves to cook so helped my wife with the grocery list. The first night of this trip we planned to do some grill work and he wanted to do grilled jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese. So he and my wife began cutting and de-seeding the fresh jalapeños and suddenly we all start coughing and then our eyes began to burn. Not as bad as when I was sprayed with OC (pepper) spray but definitely cleared out the coach for a bit. Needless to say, the boys have another RV life story to tell...
AugerN............The stories that we can sit around and enjoy, share with others is a huge part of why we do with this RV thing.
There are non-RVers that don' get it. Just like the Jeep saying goes :
IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.
Keep on making memories...........and some day you can share your OC incident.
Enjoy,
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #59

AugerN. Thanks for your updates & pics. It is really helpful to have followups.
A big help to new owners as they join us in search of answers.
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #60

Thanks Darrell! That's part of why I post, is that I learn a lot via forums such as these and I know that other people run into the same issues and threads/posts/pics help. We were just discussing the RV experience tonight and how that there is no way (unlikely anyway) that you would strike up a two hour conversation with someone in a hotel yet the people you meet in an RV park are almost always friendly, helpful and often willing to help out!