Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

13" to 14" wheels?

did a few searches, couldn't find any info...

i have a 19H... wanting to upgrade my wheels and tires to 14" from the original 13" that's on there now... i plan to go with aluminum wheels and hope to gain a bit more safety margin with the larger tires... i have brand new marathons on now, so it will be a bit before i make this swap...

has anyone done this?

is it even advisable? i understand the need to keep the wheels a certain distance apart. the bolt pattern seems standard. i can imagine it riding a bit rougher on the larger tires... maybe not.

i don't plan to carry any extra weight in the camper, just wanting a bit larger tire, if i can get away with it.

EDIT: did find this thread... http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ghlight=wheels

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

It can be done; I cannot help with ensuring the correct (minimum) wheel clearance. My Dad did it, on a trailer (two trailers back) when they had a blowout on a cross country trip. He used truck tires (that was all that was available in the middle of nowhere) with a larger sidewall ratio, this way he was able to use the existing rims. As I recall the trailer pulled better and dragged the rear end less. He never had a blowout or any issues on those tires.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It can be done; I cannot help with ensuring the correct (minimum) wheel clearance. My Dad did it, on a trailer (two trailers back) when they had a blowout on a cross country trip. He used truck tires (that was all that was available in the middle of nowhere) with a larger sidewall ratio, this way he was able to use the existing rims. As I recall the trailer pulled better and dragged the rear end less. He never had a blowout or any issues on those tires.
Just make sure you have fender clearance and at least 3in between the tires so they won't hit a bump and rub. It should ride better with taller tires. You may have to adjust your hitch to keep the trailer level.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

You should not have a problem with the 19H. My Starcraft 175K (Jayco 17C clone) for some reason came from the factory with 14 inch wheels and tires (maybe they were short on 13 inch wheels or tires that day?). Anyway they fit fine in the wheel wells of the 17C, so I see no reason the 19H would have a problem, unless you don't have much clearance between the front and rear axles.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #5

If they will fit, you will be much happier when it is time to replace tires. 13" marathons are hard to find that haven't been on a shelf for a while. 14" tires are much more common.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
If they will fit, you will be much happier when it is time to replace tires. 13" marathons are hard to find that haven't been on a shelf for a while. 14" tires are much more common.
that was another reason i wanted to switch... i've got to get out the tape measure...

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

did a few preliminary measurements on the 19H... plenty of room from rubbing on the fenderwell... but not so sure on the 3" clearance between the wheels.

i'm going over to measure a few 14" wheel setups in the next few days, so i'll report back on my findings... it might still be possible, with the proper wheel and tire combo... i also feel the 3" is a bit on the conservative side, but that's what i'm shooting for.

also, does anyone run heavy duty truck radials in place of ST bias tires?

i doubt i will do this, but on my light skiff, i run HD truck radials and have been VERY happy with the results... less harsh, they seem to run cooler, and i feel i get a lot more miles out of a set.... granted, you don't want them sitting in the sun, or still for long periods.... and i change them every two years, regardless of how they look... also, this is a very light boat... (around 1800-2000lbs total GTW)... no, the weight rating is not good for heavy rigs... but more than enough for that hewes.

hoping i can make a set of maxxis fit the 19H on 14" aluminum wheels......

Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #8

Actually, larger diameter tires = smoother ride. Which is less bumpy going through a parking lot, a shopping cart or a Radio Flyer wagon? A pebble will cause a shopping cart wheel to stop turning where the wagon wheel goes right over it. Just an analagy from everyday life.

My concern with changing wheels is the same as if you did it on your car or truck...clearance in the wheel well.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

It will not be easy to find heavy duty 14" truck tires. My old Ford Ranger came with 14" tires and I switched to 15's in order to easily get 6 ply tires for it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #10

This is a really good thread, we were just talking about looking into changing the tires on the new X17Z in order to get a little more margin than the current tires offer.
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

i have a few places around here that have them... but you can tell it's for farm use stuff... and they are taller, so i'm sure that is out.. i'll just settle for a good maxxis ST tire for it when i do the wheel changeover...

still sweating the diameter... all of my plans this weekend dashed as i smack my chin on the boat and have to go in for stitches on friday...

Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

ok... i have a question...

with a dual torsion axle setup as we have on the 19H... why the need for a minimum of 3" between the tires? i can understand this on a standard tandem setup with a shared shackle, but is this necessary on dual torsion axle setups?

it looks like a 14" wheel and tire combo would work, but i might be at 2 1/2" or so between the tires...

Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #13

Squid, what did you find out???? I have a 19H also and wanted to go with 14" aluminum wheels. Curious to know what you did and if it is possible???

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #14

see above... it looks like i'll be pushing inside 3" between the tires... but still not sure if it matters with our axle style... i'll be talking to a trailer guy here in a few days or next week, and i'll have more info....

seeing how these are not spring and shackle setups, i don't see why you would need to keep more than 3" between the tires... there is more than enough clearance in the wheel well for the slighty larger 14" wheel and tire combo...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #15

I'm going to lurk here, because come the spring, I think I am going to try to go to 14 inch tires.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #16

I did this mod on my RV and have had zero issues. Better ride, more load rating on the tires not to mention the cool aluminum rims I put on at the same time. Those wanting to make the switch should just go for it.

Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #17

Now that is pretty !!!

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #18

I did this on my 226, I use 14" Triangle radials and have towed over 10.000 miles with no problems at all...Clearance was not a problem..

2009 Jayco Featherweight 226
2009 Kia Borrego V8
Equalizer 4 Point Hitch
stevencina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
I did this mod on my RV and have had zero issues. Better ride, more load rating on the tires...
Wayne - How much additional load rating did you get with changing out the tires? Were able to fit the new 14" spare in the front tongue tire holder? We're considering this mod also and have the X17Z

thanks,
Dawn
mtn_bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoses View Post
I did this mod on my RV and have had zero issues. Better ride, more load rating on the tires not to mention the cool aluminum rims I put on at the same time. Those wanting to make the switch should just go for it.
Which brand tire did you buy?
The rims look very nice. I don't know if I want to spend the extra $$$ for the aluminum rims, but they sure do jazz up the camper.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote