This is my mod to
- Add additional storage behind the dinette of the x23b (there is significant empty space back there, not being utilized) and...
- Increase the space in the pass-through storage compartment, which was being limited by a useless (to me) drawer that is under the dinette and occupies tons of good storage space underneath.
Full disclosure, I got this idea from Jagiven (http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f30/x23b-dinette-rebuild-8192.html
), but wanted to give back to the forum with my pics of my work as well.
My Father-in-Law and I winged it, but the basic plan was to
- Remove the drawer from underneath the dinette
- Extend the dinette support structure all the way to the front wall of the camper to create the bottom of the new storage area.
- Rebuild it a little to be beefier and hold more weight. It was a little flimsy.
- Create storage area behind dinette with flip top lid
- Add an electrical outlet to the top of the dinette area for use by those in the front bunk
I don't have all the details on the cost, but it was next to nothing. Very small amount of lumber, nails/brads/screws I already had, and a piano hinge for the lid to the new storage.
I can only include 10 pics (I have a ton more), so here they are:
Removing the drawer from under the dinette (We kept the face of the drawer to attach later, but only for optics)
Extending the support to the front wall, where we built the bottom of the storage area
Bottom of storage area in place (all the tools are now on it
Building the storage area. Put front panel back on, and sliced up the top panel to make two flip-top lids
Added and electrical outlet here. Ran this off the outlet that is underneath the left side of the dinette seating area. I love this as I sleep in the front bunk and always want to get to my phone at night/morning, but also want it charging.
View of piano hinges for the flip-top lids
Added a piano hinge for the access to the underneath storage, as well
A Happy DW
View of Storage Area "Before"
View of Storage Area "After"