Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #11

Very easy to duplicate, if you weld.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Very easy to duplicate, if you weld.
Only reasons I didn't go the full DIY route is time (though the hitch didn't arrive in time for our big trip like I hoped!), and not sure I would TRUST my welding for something like that! Lol

I will say the hitch is VERY STOUT for only having a 300lb rating. Could be due to the mounting tabs on the frame.

Here is a couple pics before mounting.

As a comparison, here is a couple pics comparing the factory '10 Silverado 1500 hitch I replaced with a more stout Curt square tube hitch.

The factory GM hitch had a "tin can" sound when set down on the driveway or garage floor. The Curt and Jayco hitch, weighing at least 2x as much, were a dull thud when set down. The difference was night and day.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

Only thing I really did was reweld the brackets on the frame. From the factory, they are only stitch welded, which didn't satisfy me. I just prefer a continuous bead on something like that. The hitch itself is pretty well constructed, so I left it alone.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #14

I plan on keeping an eye on the hitch frame mounting tabs. Will do the same if needed!

SO I finally added a switch to the battery!!! Ordered a group 27 battery box, and a Blue Sea Mini Series single on/off switch. Just enough room to mount the switch in the box with a group 24 battery. I just cut a 2x8 to fit next to the battery to keep it from sliding.

I mounted the switch on the back side, facing the front of the trailer. Wanted to have it somewhat hidden so if someone decides to mess with the trailer, or worse, try to borrow it, they don't have any 12v power unless they find the switch! It is hidden pretty good unless you really look for it! Used a 2-1/2" hole saw, and filed the little bit needed to fit the switch (specs show 2-5/8" hole needed).

What you would see IF you could squeeze between the trailer and the battery box! Lol

From the side.

It is sad to post this is the last mod for the year! I dropped the trailer off this evening for inside winter storage. Won't see it again until spring!!!!

I still have a few mods to do in the spring. And it is possible that list will grow before then!!!!

Would like to say Thank You to all who have helped or given me ideas for the mods I have done, or have yet to do!!!! Or should it be, "Thanks a LOT", now I have ANOTHER mod to do.... Lol

Seriously, Thank you to all!!!!!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #15

need-a-vacation, How about some details on how you attached your clothes dryer? I done something similar with broom handles and I bolted plastic flag pole holders to the bumper. After being on 4 different campers, the holders are about shot and I'm looking for new ideas. THX in advance.
Fred K.
Fred Korz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #16

Fred,

It is a kit that actually came on our last trailer (bought used) that I pulled off for our new rig. It just attaches with u-bolts to the rear bumper. I have considered buying new "poles" that are longer for more drying space (add more lines). Just didn't get to that yet. When on our big trip of the year we have at least 6+ families camping (this year was 9 or 10), and it fills quickly. Normal family it would be fine though.

I would take some close up pics, but our trailer is now in storage until spring, sorry. Hopefully the link helps.

YW!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #17

I had decided to add another set of scissor jacks to the middle of the 32, so I ordered a set of 30" BAL scissor jacks to mount at the rear of the trailer, and will move the factory 24" scissor jacks to the middle.

Due to the longer length of the 30" jacks, they would either need to be mounted at an angle, or if mounted "normal" to the trailer frame they would stick out past the trailer side. To solve this issue I mounted 2- 2"x2"X1/8" steel square tube across the frame, using the holes from the factory jacks. Then mounted the 30" jacks inward a few inches so they didn't stick out past the side of the trailer.

I need to pick up a couple more bolts for one of the rear jacks and both middle jacks, and mount the center jacks. I am cnsidering using some of the 2x2 to space the middle jacks down so I don't need as many blocks underneath. If I do it will only be short pieces under each jack. No need to go all the way across the trailer with the 2x2.

I did set the jacks under the middle to see if all this was worth it. It does seem to eliminate a lot of the bounce. I still felt a little movement, but the X-chocks were not installed either.

I went with the 30" for the rear for those campsites that may be sloped a fair amount. Over time I may consider a set of 30" for the fronts as well if I can mount them the same as the rear jacks.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #18

Fred,

I forgot about taking a pic of the clothes rack after getting the 32 out of winter storage.... We have the trailer at the house so I will try to take one tonight!

Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #19

That turned out really good. You ought to top it off with some 2" end cap inserts for the tubing ends. Not sure where you could get that size. Lowes only had the smaller ones I used on that 1" tubing. Had to notch the part of the insert that goes in the tubing a little to clear the bolt, but still worked.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #20

John,

TY!!! Pretty happy with it. Just need to finish installing a couple bolts on the tears and mount the middle ones as I mentioned.

Funny you posted about the end cap.... I was looking at the tubing yesterday wondering where I could get some caps! Lol worse case maybe some super sticky black duct tape! Lol Time to do some "surfing" for a set!