Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

2014 264BH mods so far

Hello to all. This is my first post in the mods area. I just got a 264BH 5 weeks ago and have used it over 2 weekends so far and we love it. We bought it because we can tow it with our 2013 V6 Durango and it will sleep 10 people!!!! It pulls it just fine. First trip at a campground and second boondocking in the mountains. This is not our first trailer but is out first Jayco and it's been a few years without one. We are planning trips every 2 weeks and are even going to tailgate at monster trucks this year. We need to get out. Lol. We are in Las Vegas and the weather has been incredible. It's been in the high 70's for a couple weeks now. We will go to Utah as soon as it thaws but for now we stay close where it is warmer.

Many mods so far. I can't seem to leave anything alone. Here is my list.

2-stabilizers on each scissor jack. This eliminates 95% of the rocking. A must have IMO this was the first mod the day it came home!!!!!!!
Tornado black tank jet. This is a must if you want a clean tank.
Wrapped loom around the wires below the trailer- the factory left all the wires exposed
Added a propane line and quick disconnect for the camp chef( don't leave home without it)
Max air vent cover
All LED light bulbs everywhere
2-6 volt batteries - Costco 205 amp hours
Inside fridge fan with switch and wire thru drain
Propane tank gauges
Carpeted step covers
Metal door hold open - plastic always breaks.
Reinforced back of front dinette seat with metal braces and screws - pulled apart on first trip
Countertop extension - always need more counter space
Light in front pass thru - makes setting up in the dark much easier
Built wall separating front pass thru and under bed storage
Rear bumper rack - receiver hitch on bumper and aluminum rack
Rear bumper flag pole holder - custom modified. Always need the American flag flying!!!
Reese dual cam hitch set up with 1,200lb bars and friction sway
Storage spot for hitch bars in front pass thru
Lockable BAL where x chocks
Wheel covers
3" thick mattress pad - soooo much nicer
22" TV and wall mount above dinette and DVD player
Kipor 3500 generator
3M hooks. Many of them
Key hooks by door
Sealed floor around bathroom with clear silicone. Always gets wet with the kids.
New hitch power jack
Clear sewer hose adaptor.
Water filter
New shower head with shut off

Mods still left to do:
2000watt pure sine inverter and rewire batteries with larger wire. Trying to figure out where to put it still - any ideas? Will be here this week.
Propane tank covers
Solar back of fridge fan
Solar panels and controller
Move 12volt outlets on the interior
12 volt TV DVD combo
Water heater electric lightening rod heater
New toilet
Possibly another roof vent in bedroom
LED under awning strip lights
Another pair of batteries
New tank level sensors in percent full
Digital volt meter
New security locks on compartments and entry door that match with same key!
Larger fan in bathroom
Bring hammock to put between trees

Wow writing this all out seems like a lot. I guess I have been busy.

This seems to be a great forum. I have gotten some great ideas. Thank you for all of the ideas.

What have you done?

Thanks to all!!
apscubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

Welcome apscubaman....nice list of mods under your belt. When you get the chance, put up some pics!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

Can you explain you stabilizrer on the scissor jack mod? Sounds like something I may want to try on my 26 bh
jaycorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycorider View Post
Can you explain you stabilizrer on the scissor jack mod? Sounds like something I may want to try on my 26 bh
Please see the link
http://www.amazon.com/BAL-23216-Lock.../dp/B001UGNJ60

I added 2 of these on each corner and it makes a huge difference. It is. Rey solid now. Very easy to install. It took me less than 2 hours by myself to install all 8of them. You need to drill and bolt the mount to the frame. Then it replaces the bolt in the jack

Thanks!

I will try to add some pics soon
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycorider View Post
x2, we have a deposit down on a 2014 264BHS and are supposed to pick it up within the next 2 weeks...

And I like some of the mods you have done and plan to do. Giving me ideas already.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #6

Just bought 2014 Jayco White Hawk.....has the Glacier Package underneath.....sounds like I might want to install tornado black tank jet after looking at forums on this topic but underbelly might be a problem.....can't get out there now because of snow...any thoughts on difficulty?

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #7

I'm not exactly sure how that underbelly works but if you can get to the side of the black tank opposite the drain.Mine was the back of the tank it is very easy to install if you can get to the tank fairly easy. Hopefully that helps a little bit. It is a must if you want to keep your tank clean. There is no other easy way to spray the inside of the tank to clean it. A hose In The toilet is a rough way to do it but if there is no other way then it's worth it to keep the tank clean.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by apscubaman View Post
snip...... Wow writing this all out seems like a lot. I guess I have been busy....snip
...... to say the least, and all completed inside of 5 weeks along with a couple camping weekends thrown in !!

My TT is an '05' and my MODS list still falls short of yours

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #9

new inverter install

Just installed my new 1500w inverter and it works!!!! It is not 100 percent complete but I wanted to post a couple of pics.

I will explain also.
I wired it completely with 1/0 stereo power wire. I installed a fuse right after the battery on the 1/0 wire just to be cautious.

I installed a round box on the front of the trailer in the diamond plate. I installed wood backers so the it would be solid.

I wired the positive to a 12v switch mounted in the counter on my side of the bed so I can turn it on and off while in bed.

I got a 12/3 heavy duty extension chord and ran it into the same box and out to below the trailer. This will go back to a weatherproof box with a 30amp RV plug so I can plug in the shore power chord to it.

I ran a 12ga speaker wire with that power chord below the trailer and that will go to a relay that will shut off the converter when the inverter is switched on. This will prevent the converter from trying to charge the batteries from the batteries. This is not completed yet but it will be soon I just need to go get the parts.

And the amount of wire on the positive and negative sides of the inverter are both 7.5' each. I used more wire than I thought I would considering it is so close to the batteries.

I am running this off 2 6v golf cart batteries.

The first pic is of the light inside the front storage compartment and the separation between the storage and under bed storage. I added an area for my weight distribution bars when they are not on the vehicle. There is never a good place to put them so I found made a place and gave me an area to mount hooks to hang items from.

The second pic it the inverter installed. That is 1 1/4" plastic electrical conduit coming through the front wall from the box. The positive go up to the switch and then back to the inverter.

Third and forth pic are the box on the front of the trailer. All the wire in loom.

Thanks!! Let me know what you think.

I will post pics of the other mods soon.
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg   photo 3.jpg   photo 4.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Site Team

As Rustic Eagle said you have been busy!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

more pics

Ok I will explain the pics. The first 3 are the finishing of my inverter install

pic 1:
switch by bed to turn on/off the inverter

pic 2:
12v powered relay that splits the 120v going to the converter so that when I turn on the inverter the converter is automatically shut off. no need to turn off the breaker and forget to turn it back on.

pic 3:
outlet box mounted to the frame to plug the shore power chord into with inverter power.

pic 4:
interior fridge fan with switch

pic 5:
extended counter shelf

pic 6:
reese dual cam setup on frame

pic 7:
Atwood 3500lb powered jack

pic 8:
rear of trailer with rack for wood/gas/generator, flag pole mount and spare tire

pic 9:
close up of the flag pole mount. I modified a tire holder.

pic 10:
another pic of the rack

More pics on the next post

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   7.jpg   13.jpg  

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

more pics

Ok here are some more pics of the mods

pic 1:
strengthening the rear of the dinette seat. This pulled apart on our first trip.

pic 2:
more brackets on the inside of the seat

pic 3:
key and flashlight rack on cabinets by door

The inverter works perfectly (no fires). It will even run the microwave if I wanted to. I tested it all out and now its time to use it while camping.

I have new non master keyed locks coming later this week. All of the locks will be keyed the same. No more multiple keys to open the storage doors and the front door. Also nobody will have a key to get into the trailer. Not even the dealer!!!

I am thinking that the LED strip below the awning will be coming soon.

That's it for tonight. I will try to get more pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails
10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #13

Hello - I'm going to request a wiring diagram from jayco. I also would be concerned about the inverter trying to charge batteries. Also I just think it would be so simple for me to splice my inverter to feed all outlets. They are on their own breaker. The inverter has a transfer switch built in for when I apply shore or generator power. This unit is a hardwire unit so I have no outlets on unit. I just thought it would be super clean install. The inputs and outputs of inverter are completely isolated. Should this work in your opinion? Am I thinking it through correctly or will I create some sort of loop or feedback?
Sharko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #14

Sharko, As for the inverter trying to charge the batteries that is why I installed the relay to shut off the power from the converter. I connected it to the switch that turns on the inverter so it will automatically turn off the converter so I would not forget to flip the breaker on or off. My inverter did not have an transfer switch to detect shore power and that is why I did not hard wire it into the panel and just to an outlet that I can plug the shore power chord into. It sounds like it should work that way you are explaining as long as you have a way of shutting off the converter when the inverter is on.

I hope that helps!!
Thanks and happy camping!!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #15

As I understand the converter only is in use on shore/generator power. I assume it just passes dc when not on shore. It should be on a completely different circuit than the AC distribution lines. The outlet are the only thing the inverter will feed. I'm just concerned about any feedback. Thanks happy camping to you too!
Sharko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Just bought 2014 Jayco White Hawk.....has the Glacier Package underneath.....sounds like I might want to install tornado black tank jet after looking at forums on this topic but underbelly might be a problem.....can't get out there now because of snow...any thoughts on difficulty?
Doesn't the Whitehawk already have a black tank flush on it? Mine does and it works great!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #17

Yes the converter is on its own circuit. I'm not an electrician but if you connect power just to one circuit it will back feed into the panel if the breaker is not turned off. That back feed could put power to other circuits. That would concern me and installing the relay to cut all power to the converter if the inverter is on is a cheap easy way to be sure that this will not happen. Connecting to one circuit or the entire panel in is really the same thing if all of the breakers are turned on.

Thanks. I hope that makes sense. Happy camping!!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #18

I finally installed all new locks. Now the door and compartments are all keyed the same and not a mastered key so the dealers won't have a key to open them. So much easier. Replaced them all for about $50.

Now this weekend I am going to add additional 12v outlets so it is easier to charge items. Went camping last weekend and had to charge 4 phones with 1 outlet and could not run the fan when we were charging phones. Also had to hardwire the rc car battery chargers since there were no additional outlets. I already ran wires into the front compartment for the light so the outlet on each side of the bed will be easy. The others I will have to find wires to tap into. I will post pics when I get them installed.

Happy camping.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #19

Hello all. Finally got my 12v outlets installed. 3 extras to charge phones and other items. Also got rid of the stock mattress and the mattress pad I bought and put in a nice queen mattress. WOW what a difference. It is a few inches longer than the factory one but I can still get buy at the end.

When we were out last weekend the door for the storage below the j-steel couch fell off. So now I am planning on building a drawer so it will be easier to access the items stored there. I'm searching for the correct slides now.

The battery set up with he 2 6 volts will last me 2 days. I charge every day just to be sure but I only need to charge for about 1-2 hours so it is great. After 4 trips I still have not filled up the gas in the Kipor 3500 watt generator. I am surprised at the efficiency of the generator.

The rack on the bumper is strong. I carry 18 gallons of water. Firewood and 12 gallons of fuel and no issues so far. I have one of those u bolts that hold the rack tight so it doesn't shake. I think this helps a lot.

Happy camping!!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #20

Thanks for the updates....keep the pictures coming.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote