Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

2014 28BHBE Dometic Awning - Dimming LED lights

I've just taken delivery of a 2014 28BHBE, my first TT, which comes with a Dometic power awning and pre-installed LED lights. This sounds awesome, but Jayco also removed all the yellow porch lights. The problem is that these LEDs are super bright white. When on, they are brighter than day light, which is too bright for me, and probably annoys the heck out of the neighbors. Perfect while making S'mores, but that's about it. I'd either like to install an inline dimmer, or at least find some kind of yellow lens cover for the LED track.

For an inline dimmer, I've found an inexpensive remote controlled dimmer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AG48ONW8HFS8M

It should work, so now my next step is to figure out how to access the LED's power cable. Jayco runs the cable directly into the trailer right up by the top of the awning. I'm assuming in the end, it terminates into the fuse panel. Anyone know how to access this wiring so this could be added inline?

If there's no way to do this, then a colored lens cover might be an option. The LED's appear to be in a track, but I've been unable to find anything that might work. Maybe I'm missing the correct google terms to find them. Anyone have any thoughts?
Shmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am surprised they didn't install the adjustable LED awning lights that a lot of people on here have purchased.
$28 from Amazon.

Remote let's you change to any color of the rainbow and has a dimmer function.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats.

Jayco will provide wiring diagrams, but only after you are out of warranty which brings me to the next point. You will most likely void the warranty on the LED lights by installing the dimmer. I have the dimmer you mentioned above on my self installed lights and it works great. If your ok with possible voiding of the warranty then go for it.

Where is the power switch located for the lights? You can install the dimmer in line there and retain the original switch to put back in when you might have to go in for a warranty issue with the lighting.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

I'm not concerned about voiding the warranty on the LEDs, with how bright they are now, I won't use them. I'm still tempted to install my own LED strip if I can't find a way to access the wiring. I'd considered tapping into the switch as you suggested, but in their infinite wisdom, Jayco also tied the step light, an incandescent light, into the same switch. Which is ridiculous because, if the LEDs are on, you certainly don't need a step light. The switch only has two wires going into it, so I can't break out the LEDs. It must go back to the fuse panel from there.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #5

We have the same model and find the light also quite bright (see our 28BHBE photo thread for LED night pic with awning down), but hasn't really been a bother to other campers and can see so much better around the campsite - don't need to put up strand of awning lights, which on our old setup, was a must. We haven't and don't plan on keeping it on overnight while sleeping and also tend to drop the awning down on one side anyway which minimizes the light spread.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #6

Here is the night time shot with awning up that I had referenced...

Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #7

Just looking at your pic modmatt.... That is very bright!!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

The insects must love that!
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Welcome and congrats.

Jayco will provide wiring diagrams, but only after you are out of warranty which brings me to the next point. You will most likely void the warranty on the LED lights by installing the dimmer. I have the dimmer you mentioned above on my self installed lights and it works great. If your ok with possible voiding of the warranty then go for it.

Where is the power switch located for the lights? You can install the dimmer in line there and retain the original switch to put back in when you might have to go in for a warranty issue with the lighting.
FYI: I asked a wiring question about my 2013 264BH and they sent me the wiring diagrams that I didn't even ask for.
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #10

We haven't have any bug issues with the LED lights, where we did with our old jayco and standard light, but that could just be coincidence since we've only gone out 3 occasions so far with it.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #11

Mine are not a problem any more! Turned them on the other night and they no longer work. Step light still works as does the Blue lights on the front cap. Guess they aren't very dependable, only had my camper a little over two months!
I agree though they should have a dimmer on them! I will be watching to see what you come up with!
Vietnam Vet USMC
judgerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #12

The lights are so bright I bet the planes can see them :-)
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgerr View Post
Mine are not a problem any more! Turned them on the other night and they no longer work. Step light still works as does the Blue lights on the front cap. Guess they aren't very dependable, only had my camper a little over two months!
I agree though they should have a dimmer on them! I will be watching to see what you come up with!
I'd be curious how the dealer will replace them. I took off the fuse panel to follow the wiring from the fuse. What an absolute mess the wiring is. Glad I did this, as I found a loose staple had cut all the way through the outer sheathing of some of the 110 wiring. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell if it'd also cut the inside sheathing. Wrapped with electrical tape and will have it addressed next time I'm at the dealer.

Back to awning lights, since the wiring is as neat as a bowl of spaghetti, I couldn't trace what went where. All I could tell, is that everything low voltage went up through a hole between the stove a fridge.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

We absolutely love ours as you couldn't see a thing with the little yellow porch light. I also appreciate the added step light below the trailer.
MacMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #15

I have not googled this yet, (and it's probably a stupid question), but is there a dimmable 12V switch that can replace the existing wall switch? I know they are available for 110V but not sure about 12V. BTW, I ordered the RC remote you have on your OP. It ships from China and takes about a month to receive. If you go that way, there is a company out of NJ who has them in stock for around $8. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like there's some 12V dimmer switches

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...3A12v%20dimmer

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #17

Bump...

I'd like to know how this turns out. I'm usually the type that goes for more discreet lighting effects. Call it "mood lighting" if you will...
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Looks like there's some 12V dimmer switches

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...3A12v%20dimmer
I don't think you can do anything at the switch, as the switch controls both the step light (incandescent) and LED strip light. I suppose you could remove the bulb for the step light, effectively breaking that part of the circuit, so that the dimmer only had an affect on the strip lights.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I ordered the RC remote you have on your OP. It ships from China and takes about a month to receive. If you go that way, there is a company out of NJ who has them in stock for around $8. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Well, the good news is that it did not take a month to receive the RF controller (only about 10 days). All the controls work well...all, EXCEPT the dimmer control! RATS!!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #20

I haven't looked at mine to see if it's possible, but a lot of those style lights come in a roll and you just cut the length you want (at certain places of course). I wonder if you could just cut some off the non-wired end? What's left would still be pretty bright, but there would be fewer diodes thus creating less light...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote