Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

23b Shower Shelves

23b Shower Shelves

I've installed shelving in other travel trailer bathrooms. Many people don't mind using campground facilities. I just got around to installing shelves in our 23b.

We absolutely never use our trailer shower. My original intent was to install shelves which were basically the same size as the shower itself. When I actually got around to looking at things I realized that making the shelves too big would really cramp the bathroom area. I decided to extend the useable area of the vanity and install a couple 16" deep shelves.

Shelving installed in trailer showers can be designed to easily remove so the shower can still be used. I have installed cleat boards and wire shelves in other trailers with that in mind. Corner showers do make that a bit more complex. For our trailer I decided to not worry about things being easily removed. Our vanity extension is fairly permanent. The shelves would remove fairly easily though.

I decided to suspend the shelves by using one of the existing shower curtain track screws. That leaves the little tub open enough that a small child can still be washed using the trailer tub. We have grandchildren with a possibility of another on the way.

The shelves are intended for light duty like bedding materials. The shelves are installed upside-down to provide a lip on the edge. That is not optimal for strength, but will be fine. I used plastic angles with sealed ss screws so that the rails could be left in place should the shower ever be needed. The shelves are secured from moving off the plastic angles by drilling holes and using a few cable ties.

My installations are typically very utilitarian. I work with what I have on hand. I used some perforated strap to hang the shelf corners. I used a hook shape secured with a small cable tie for the bottom shelf. The top shelf is attached using a heavy black cable tie. Something fancier, or even more simple like high tech cordage could also be used.

Enough text. Here's some pictures.

vic

Click image for larger version

Name:	23b01Shelves.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	17647

Name:	23b02Shelves.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	17648

Name:	23b03shelvesUpper.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	17649

Name:	23b04Shelves.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	17650

Name:	23b05shelves.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	17651
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #2

I mentioned easily removable and hi tech cordage for suspension in the original post. It occurred to me that the shelves I installed could be made fairly easily removable by using strong cord and ss "S" hooks. The cord can be secured to the shower curtain rail screw and the "S" hooks attached to the cord at the appropriate height.

When the shelves are removed for showering the cord with hooks can just hang loose. The plastic angle supports with sealed ss screws will be fine to leave in place and get wet. A couple 6-32 ss machine screws could be threaded into the plastic angles to work as retaining studs for the resting wire shelves.

Just a suggestion for anyone who might be looking to have shelves and only use the shower infrequently.

A 3rd shelf placed below the two I show in my pictures could easily be included. If a 3rd shelf is added, for additional pullout strength I would consider adding another screw with a small strap bridged over to the existing shower rail screw.

I probably shoulda used cords and hooks in my 23b shower shelves. Thought of it too late.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post290927

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote