Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Question 23MB - Adding Storage

We recently switched from tent camping (in a VERY large tent) to camping with our beautiful new 2016 23MB. We've enjoyed taking it out a few times since purchasing it. The one thing we've noticed is an issue with the # of beds is almost zero storage for clothes. We have two teenage boys, so you can imagine how quickly the dining room table piles up. Yikes!
Under the bunks, there is a flat panel that looks perfect for some type of drawer mod. Behind it is simply the storage accessible from the outside of the rv. The bunk does lift up to also access that are, but let's face it - that's kind of a pain. So what are your thoughts? Would this void any warranties? What other options do we have? The only other clothes storage are the two miniature cupboards on each side of the murphy bed (if you have mods for those, I'd love to see them! They are deep but very narrow).
Thanks!!

*Attached is the outside view. The curved piece is the panel I wrote about.
Attached Thumbnails
6620811_3.jpg  
skdcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

I'm wondering the same thing for our 26bhsw. We have a lot of kids (6) so we need to use the space wisely! Mine may just have to keep their clothes in our tow vehicle Let me know if you find any great solutions!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #3

I don't know about warranty issues. However I would make it mine. I know it's really hard to drill that first hole. Or take out that 1st panel and finding 4 sq ft extra space.
I got really tired of fighting the cable in and out to plug into 110v. So I did the 30 amp conversion. During the experience I found 2 places in the camper that measured 8x8x20 ea. one spot has the drain pipe for the shower. The other was where the cable was stored.
It was really hard to open up the spaces until I found the extra room. So go for it as I said before make it yours. Who knows the next owner might be happy you did it.
Rockram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #4

I just got the same trailer, and one thing I did was make the panel for the front of the fold down couch removable... There are just two screws holding it on! Before I removed the screws, I installed the hardware for cupboard doors that hold them shut ( those things with 2 little rollers and a metal tang other the other side... Can't for the life of me remember what they are called) to the panel and couch frame, then removed the screws (kept it all lined up) we went to Ikea and got 3 containers to go under... It adds 57"X30"X10" of space!
604Ex-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604Ex-Tenter View Post
I just got the same trailer, and one thing I did was make the panel for the front of the fold down couch removable... There are just two screws holding it on! Before I removed the screws, I installed the hardware for cupboard doors that hold them shut ( those things with 2 little rollers and a metal tang other the other side... Can't for the life of me remember what they are called) to the panel and couch frame, then removed the screws (kept it all lined up) we went to Ikea and got 3 containers to go under... It adds 57"X30"X10" of space!
Congratulations on the new trailer. Welcome to the JOF and thanks for the info on your mod.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #6

congratulations! There are lots of possible mods.

Have fun

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the welcome! I'd post a pic of the mod, but I can't figure out how to attach it to my post!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #8

Here is a pic of what I did...sorry the pic is sideways!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

what we did was we got some cheap plastic drawers from Walmart and just put them in the far corner of each bunk. the kids keep their camping clothes in those drawers (these clothes are a completely different set of clothes from their regular clothes so we don't even have to pack when we hook up) The kids think this is awesome since it turns their bunks into bedrooms. We also got plastic drawers that fit on either side of the couch. we pack some the adult clothes there Under wear, socks, t shirts, short, etc). The plastic drawers also act as side tables. All good. we use the closet nearest the door for jackets for everyone. We use the for other closet for adult shirts, pants, etc. No good mods yet. They are deep closets so if anyone has ideas....
wcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the ideas.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23mb, bunk, mod, storage