Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

264bhw add cabinets over sofa

Wondering if anyone has added cabinets like the 26bh has over the sofa on the exterior wall? We seem to need a little more overhead cabinet space. I would think this could be done fairly easy but wondering if anyone has ventured into the unknown before I start to make the mod without any advice.
yawmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

I was actually wondering/thinking about the same thing.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

264bhw add cabinets over sofa

Ditto. I'm picking up a new 264bhw in a couple weeks. Was going to be $400 to install those cabinets along with a medicine cabinet. I was on the fence, but since they were going to take 6 weeks to order and I live 5 hrs from the dealership, I declined.

Edit: meant to add... I plan to build them myself.
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

I may do this for the medicine cabinet.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selectio...abinet/3397158
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

My 27 foot Bunkhouse has I'm on that wall so I don't think it would be that hard
Rmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Every time I camp, I look at all the open wall space up high and ask myself how hard would it be to add cabinets there... and there... and there...

Are these custom? Or is there a pre-fab cabinet from Jayco you can order?
craighope70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #7

Seems like we all have the same idea. A duplicate set like over the sink would work great on the exterior wall.
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #8

I have been eye-balling that space for a while now also. I was wondering if you could just order the cabinet from Jayco that fits in that space on the 26BH. I'm assuming that it would fit like a glove.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

Did anyone end up trying this? We just got our 264BHW and were thinking about doing this. I'm also considering boxing in the shelf above the queen bed to turn that into cabinets as well.

2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW
2014 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3L V8
acfirst05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

Never did anything with that space. Found some Rubbermaid baskets that fit perfectly on the shelf above the bed and work well for socks, underwear, shorts, etc. they have stayed in place through a couple of outings without falling and making a mess.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

Added shelf

I added a wire shelf that has been great with storage. We throw most of our food and snacks (mainly chips) up there. It works perfectly. I took a 6' or 8' piece from Lowes and cut it to size. Then used 5 sticky hooks (2 on each side and 1 in the middle). I think that thing could hold 40lbs easily. I'll add a pic if anyone wants to see it.
chaseau84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #12

I added this above the window by the sofa.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
chaseau84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #13

That's genius
Serb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #14

We have a 2017 264bhw. We decided to order a cabinet for that wall space above the window next to the couch. Our dealership just needed to supply Jayco with our camper serial number to get the right color. The cabinet was shipped in 4 pieces, so we just assembled it as we installed it.

Also ordered another door for the cabinet over the table. We removed the center blank and installed the door in this location.

Also ordered another drawer front for the lower sink cabinet. The water pump is behind this area, so that explains why Jayco put a blank over that drawer spot. There wasn’t enough room for another full drawer. But there was still at least 6 inches deep of useable space. I just attached the drawer front with 2 hinges. We plan to have a plastic bin in this new storage place for truck keys, our wallets, flashlights, etc.

The total cost of all of this with shipping to our dealership in Bloomer WI was less than $200. We are really happy with how this all turned out!
Attached Thumbnails
cabinet2.jpg   cabinet4.jpg   cabinet7.jpg  
jmkdopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkdopkins View Post
We have a 2017 264bhw. We decided to order a cabinet for that wall space above the window next to the couch. Our dealership just needed to supply Jayco with our camper serial number to get the right color. The cabinet was shipped in 4 pieces, so we just assembled it as we installed it.

Also ordered another door for the cabinet over the table. We removed the center blank and installed the door in this location.

Also ordered another drawer front for the lower sink cabinet. The water pump is behind this area, so that explains why Jayco put a blank over that drawer spot. There wasn’t enough room for another full drawer. But there was still at least 6 inches deep of useable space. I just attached the drawer front with 2 hinges. We plan to have a plastic bin in this new storage place for truck keys, our wallets, flashlights, etc.

The total cost of all of this with shipping to our dealership in Bloomer WI was less than $200. We are really happy with how this all turned out!

That’s awesome! Gota call my dealer. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkdopkins View Post

I inquired about the same door over the table at my dealer but up in Canada and it was over $175 just for that door and hardware. Unfortunately there is only 1 jayco dealer in northern Alberta so o can't really price check. That was a steal for you! Due to some unforseen circumstances I was able to upgrade to a 26bh. So my storage problems sort of solved themselves.
Serb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #17

Also, here is a picture of the new drawer front in the closed position. I should have included this picture in my original posting.
Attached Thumbnails
cabinet6a.jpg  
Old 11-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #18

Origjcc, I hope your dealer can help you with this!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #19

How did you install the cabinets?
Stateworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #20

How to install the cabinets

The cabinet was shipped in 4 pieces. There was the front piece with the doors, the 2 side pieces and then the bottom piece. The top of the cabinet is actually the ceiling of the camper. We used a stud finder to make sure we were hitting something solid. There were studs in the walls and the ceiling. We just made sure the screws weren't too long - because we didn't want to go all the way through the walls or up through the roof.

Rather than build the cabinet and then hang it, we decided to hang the pieces and build the cabinet as we went along. It was easier to get the power drill into those tight spaces (i.e. behind the cabinet doors). But you could probably build the cabinet and hang it that way as well.