Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

29.5 Dining Room Table Mod

OK, so the DW & I were getting real tired of the wobbly dining room table in our 29.5 so I decided to figure something out. At first I was considering a rail like some TT use for outside grills. But I think the Camco kit is only 1 rail as it assumes your grill already has the 2nd rail built-in. Anyways, I went to my local Lowes to have a look around. I found this rail:

which is made for the use of hanging tools and things. They offer different hooks you can mount but they also have these Brackets. The brackets drop down on the top part of the rails and then swing down and Snap into place. They are designed for you to add your own shelve. So I thought these might work. Once I got home and took the table out, I noticed that the brackets had a small lip on them:

keeping the brackets from being flush with the table. Nothing a hack-saw can’t fix in about 30 seconds:

Then just file it smooth. Now just drill some holes in the brackets and screw them onto the underside of the table:

Make sure your screws are not too long. Don’t want them poking through the other side:

Now dry-fit the table in place and mark where the rail should be mounted and screw in-place. BTW I did cut the rail down from the original 50" length.

Now that I no longer need the rear table leg, I just removed the brackets from the floor and the table:

I also had to move the front table leg floor bracket out about 1” due to the rail and brackets now cause the table to be about an 1” more away from the wall.
I used a black sharpie pen to hide the silver on top of the brackets:

Now just set the table on the rail, with the front of the table raised about 6-12” then just lower in place while using one hand under to guide the leg into its bracket.

The table is now extremely sturdy and removing 1 of the legs just give you more leg-room under it. All in I think this mod cost me around $22.

Dave...

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

That's great!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Great solution! And one less table leg to bump your feet on under the table.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:21 AM   #4

I think this might be something I do in ours. The two "wobbly" legs isn't doing it for me
X213_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Very nice indeed! Wish I could do that but our TT has window instead of wall. But on the bright side we rarely use area as cook and eat outside most the time.

Larry J
2015 264bhw
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

I like this mod but it will not work for me. Here's why: About a year after purchasing my 5er, the floor in the slide (where the table is located) drops dramatically when the slide is pulled in. When this happens, the table follows the floor, drops and pulls away from the wall about 1". I tried to fashion a bracket, similar to yours, using wood and attaching it to the wall and underside of the table. However, when I retracted the slide, the floor dropped and pulled the screws and bracket right out of the wall. As a precaution, if someone is thinking of doing this, you may want to see if your table pulls away from the wall when the slide is retracted. Not intended to rain on anyone's parade

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I like this mod but it will not work for me. Here's why: About a year after purchasing my 5er, the floor in the slide (where the table is located) drops dramatically when the slide is pulled in. When this happens, the table follows the floor, drops and pulls away from the wall about 1". I tried to fashion a bracket, similar to yours, using wood and attaching it to the wall and underside of the table. However, when I retracted the slide, the floor dropped and pulled the screws and bracket right out of the wall. As a precaution, if someone is thinking of doing this, you may want to see if your table pulls away from the wall when the slide is retracted. Not intended to rain on anyone's parade
Yes, my table does the same motion. Thanks for reminding / letting everyone know this. With my mod, you must break-down the table for travel (as we normally do).FYI, my mod does Not make the table a perminate mount, it's still easily removable by just lifting the front and then the rear off of the rail.

Thanks,
Dave...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #8

Great mod. Thanks Aero Dave. Been trying to figure out that wobbly table solution and you just provided it for us. Headed to Lowes tomorrow to pick up the K-rail and 2 shelf brackets.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Great mod. Thanks Aero Dave. Been trying to figure out that wobbly table solution and you just provided it for us. Headed to Lowes tomorrow to pick up the K-rail and 2 shelf brackets.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Jeff, its an easy job for sure. The brackets already have 3 holes in the sides of them, you'll just need to drill a hole on the back side to get a screw into them. I angled-drilled the holes as the screws kind of need to go in at an angle though the holes already in the sides. Then after you cut the rail to the length you want, you can snap the rail onto the brackets before dry-fitting the table into place. Makes marking the wall with a pencil easy to do, before mounting the rail onto the wall. I used 1 1/4" screws for the rail. There isn't much wall thickness for the screws to grab onto. But since all of the weight is straight down, I think the 8 screws I used should hold ok.

Rail snapped into place to dry-fit the table.

Dave...

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Great solution! And one less table leg to bump your feet on under the table.
Agreed!

Better patent your solution before the manufacturers start doing it, too.