Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

3 or 4 Backup Camera Addition

Just bought a 2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS and put it in storage for the first time last night. It was a tight spot and luckily my wife went with me or I would have had to get out and in the truck over and over.

I have a backup camera on my truck and on my boat trailer that I installed. I will be adding a three camera setup to the trailer after last night. I was going to just add one, but since I am already going to be there running wires, I might as well do it right.

I just started researching the components I need. Since I only have two inputs for video on my truck, I will be adding a 4 port switch. Selection 1 will be my current boat trailer cable, 2 will be the left Jayco trailer cable, 3 will be the center Jayco trailer cable, and 4 will be the right Jayco trailer cable. That is why I need the 4 port switch.

Currently I have power to the two cameras on anytime the truck is on, so I will just add these other three cameras power cables to that connection at the fuse box. Then the video switcher would just select which camera I want to see. I also have my backup switch over ridden so I can see behind me as I drive down the road (I can turn it on or off from the stereo). I move the current boat camera cable to the video switch on port 1 and then the output from the switch will go to the input for backup camera on the stereo.

I will have to find a waterproof box of some kind that will allow me to connect the three video RCA cables from the truck to the trailer during hookup. Right now, the camera's that I have use waterproof aircraft cables so I haven't needed anything for those. The camera's I am thinking about using for the trailer are really cheap and don't come with good cables.

I am not sure where I am going to mount the two side cameras yet. I was thinking about somewhere forward of the wheels. I would like to be able to see the wheels, but the camera needs to be safely away from them in case of a blowout. I want them to be pointed down the body line of the trailer so I have a reference to gauge distance between me and the stuff next to me. They also need to be mounted somewhere out of the way, probably under the trailer on the outer edge.

Here are the camera's I think I am going to go with. They will need to be waterproofed better after reading the comments from Amazon. They are pretty cheap and will probably break after a while so I will buy a couple extra.
http://amzn.com/B005Q65JHM

Here is the 4 port video switch I think I will go with. No need for power and I think it will fit in my dash where I have a slot for change or a wallet.
http://amzn.com/B00005NCWK

Other than some power cables and some RCA cables, I think this will work. I will post pictures as I go along. Probably start it in a couple of weeks after I order the parts this weekend.
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote