Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #1

A/C Fan Speed

How much difference is there between high and low fan speed in noise and air flow with the Coleman A/Cs?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Site Team

I do not any means to measure it except my wife's opinion. She says it is much quieter, yet does the job. We leave it on low. Have not been in extremely hot areas yet to get more experience. On our rig, closing some of the vents on the unit make it quieter in the immediate area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #3

I don't see enough difference in mine to justify one setting over the other. I leave it on high when it is terribly hot outside and usually on hot all the time because I forget to change it. I see no reason for the low setting.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #4

On mine - I literally can not tell the difference. I have a ducted system so my hi/low switch is opening and closing the quick cool doors.

I installed an aftermarket thermostat and just left the low wired capped.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #5

We can tell the difference although the high setting is not terribly loud. But however, since our trailer isn't terribly huge (length of a football field) we leave ours on low and even when it is real hot (I live in Lower AL) the low setting is more than enough to keep the trailer cool.

John

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab Z71
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
NewToMeJF26BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #6

I can tell quite a bit of difference in the sound of ours. If you have it on hi and open the quick cool vents it is quite loud in the main living area. So unless absolutely necessary we will leave it on lo and leave 2 of the 3 quick cool vents closed. Usually leave the one open that directs the air toward the table. I just recently did the digital thermostat mod and made sure I wired in the hi/lo switch. It has been a bit of a challenge to teach the wife that the middle off position isn't to be used. We camp out the county fair for 10 days in August. It is usually on hi w/ 2 of the 3 quick cool vents open - the 3rd hits the stove bad and makes it hard to cook.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

This topic has come up on several different forums at different times. I know when I initially got my camper I thought there was a problem with the AC, but quickly found out that other folks experienced the same thing. Seems like every unit has its own personality on how loud it is and the differential in air between high and low.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
This topic has come up on several different forums at different times. I know when I initially got my camper I thought there was a problem with the AC, but quickly found out that other folks experienced the same thing. Seems like every unit has its own personality on how loud it is and the differential in air between high and low.
Good point. Let me rephase the question. Since the 330RLTS is the TT I plan on getting, could just the 330RLTS owners tell me how much difference is there between high and low fan speed in noise and air flow with the Coleman A/Cs?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Not a 330 owner but a 324 is close. I personally have never had my fan on low Because my single 13,500btu AC will not keep up when its hot out. My point is if you have not gotten this trailer yet I would opt for either the single 15,000btu upgrade or the 2 AC option.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Although I have no scientific evidence to support this, I would think an A/C unit that has ducted cold air registers would, overall, be slightly quieter than one that doesn't.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperx2 View Post
Not a 330 owner but a 324 is close. I personally have never had my fan on low Because my single 13,500btu AC will not keep up when its hot out. My point is if you have not gotten this trailer yet I would opt for either the single 15,000btu upgrade or the 2 AC option.
Actually, what I am strongly considering is trying to talk Jayco into NOT installing any A/Cs and thermostats (and credit me for them) then putting a couple of Coleman 15k heat pumps on top and Coleman digital thermostats inside. As far as I can tell, the thermostat wiring running from the A/C locations to the thermostats is four conductor (12v+, 12v-, compressor, high fan, and low fan). Coleman heat pumps also need a reversing valve lead between the heat pump and the thermostat (they refer to it as "heat pump"). If there isn't a whole lot of difference between low and high speed, I could "steal" the low fan lead to use for the reversing valve. To make sure some "helpful" person (or me before I fully wake up) doesn't come along and switch the fan speed from high to low, thus shutting off the fan, I would run a jumper from the low speed terminal in the thermostat to the high speed terminal.

Using the low speed fan wire would save me the hassle of trying to fish a new thermostat wire through the ceiling and down the wall (which would be fairly easy in the bedroom if the thermostat is on the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom; long story why) but a total bugger from the kitchen to the hall thermostat.

I could use the old thermostat cable to pull the new one from the kitchen to the hall wall but even if the hole at the top of the hall wall was fairly generous, the cable would probably hang up there. I could cut a hole in the ceiling in the medicine cabinet and probably reach the hole where the cable dives into the hall wall without too much trouble (more like agony with my bum shoulder but then using it is good for it) and help guide it down with my hand. Afterward, putting up a panel the same size as the inside of the medicine cabinet over the hole would yield an invisible patch. But if there isn't much to be gained in air speed or noise reduction, why bother with all that?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #12

So the vents on the actual unit in the ceiling can be closed so the other ceiling vents are working?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
So the vents on the actual unit in the ceiling can be closed so the other ceiling vents are working?
Assuming the TT has ductwork (which the 330RLTS does), yes. The vents on the actual unit are intended to be used for quick cool down when first turning the A/C on in a hot room but, as others have mentioned, sometimes using them at all times seems to work better in some RVs
Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

When it is really hot outside - like in the 90s - and folks are coming in and out a lot - I usually have to keep the quick cools open to keep up. At night I can close them and it runs at about 1/3 of the noise and pumps plenty of air back to the bedroom - which I like.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
When it is really hot outside - like in the 90s - and folks are coming in and out a lot - I usually have to keep the quick cools open to keep up. At night I can close them and it runs at about 1/3 of the noise and pumps plenty of air back to the bedroom - which I like.
Forgive my ignorance, but what are "the quick cools"?

John

Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #16

Our air conditioners are always on low. It is a lot quieter that way. If the main one can't keep up we just turn on the front ac.

Even on low they make some noise so when we go to bed we turn off the front one and it is easier to sleep. They are both connected as far as ducts go so the main one will still cool the bedroom.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMeJF26BHS View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what are "the quick cools"?

John
The quick cools are just three sliding lovers on the main AC unit. When you open them, most of the air blows out of main grill. When you slide them closed, it pushes more air out the ducted vents. You can close one, two, or all three of them. The AC pushes more air and cools better when they are open - thus "quick cool" name - it just produces more nose when they are open.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #18

Quote:
The quick cools are just three sliding lovers on the main AC unit. When you open them, most of the air blows out of main grill. When you slide them closed, it pushes more air out the ducted vents. You can close one, two, or all three of them. The AC pushes more air and cools better when they are open - thus "quick cool" name - it just produces more nose when they are open.
Thank you for that explanation.

John

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #19

Quote:
"Three sliding lovers" "produces more nose"?

Sorry! Couldn't let straight lines like that just lie there.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
"Three sliding lovers" "produces more nose"?

Sorry! Couldn't let straight lines like that just lie there.
Maybe you should ask him if he has a "thick" skin first.:hihi:
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote