Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

A little more EternaBond on the roof

I put 6" EternaBond on the roof where the fiberglass front cap meets the roof. This area had a bunch of pits in the Dicor (or whatever Jayco used) so I got it covered then applied a little Dicor to the edges of the EternaBond just to keep the edges clean. While I was at it, thought I might as well cover the seams on the bathroom vent and skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
Eterna Bond front cap (900x506) (800x450).jpg   Eterna Bond bath vent (900x506) (2) (800x450).jpg  

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

Nice....I can't quite tell by the pictures of the skylight, but did you peel up the old sealant before you put down the eternabond? I looks like you went right over the old sealant. If so how did you get a good bond to the old sealant? Does the tape stretch and form to the shape of the sealant? Never used eternabond so just curious.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
Nice....I can't quite tell by the pictures of the skylight, but did you peel up the old sealant before you put down the eternabond? I looks like you went right over the old sealant. If so how did you get a good bond to the old sealant? Does the tape stretch and form to the shape of the sealant? Never used eternabond so just curious.
It's interesting you should ask that. I had some issues getting the EternaBond to go over the spongy material without getting a bunch of air bubbles. The tape sticks to anything except silicone so sticking to the old sealant was no problem. The 4" wide tape was enough to cover the old sealant well but then I discovered that I could just peel that old material up so that's what I did on half of the area around the skylight and that eliminated the air bubbles. The tape is not supposed to be stretched. I know that because Jayco stretched a piece of it that covers the outside seam on my main slide out and it started to lift in a couple areas. I had the dealer repair that under warranty soon after I purchased the RV. I also used the EternaClean product to clean all surfaces then applied the EternaPrime before applying the tape. Probably a whole lot more than you wanted to know .

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
It's interesting you should ask that. I had some issues getting the EternaBond to go over the spongy material without getting a bunch of air bubbles. The tape sticks to anything except silicone so sticking to the old sealant was no problem. The 4" wide tape was enough to cover the old sealant well but then I discovered that I could just peel that old material up so that's what I did on half of the area around the skylight and that eliminated the air bubbles. The tape is not supposed to be stretched. I know that because Jayco stretched a piece of it that covers the outside seam on my main slide out and it started to lift in a couple areas. I had the dealer repair that under warranty soon after I purchased the RV. I also used the EternaClean product to clean all surfaces then applied the EternaPrime before applying the tape. Probably a whole lot more than you wanted to know .
Skip-
Thanks for all the info...good to hear as I am going the Eternabond route this year. BTW, where did you buy all that product and do you recall the costs?
Thanks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Skip-
Thanks for all the info...good to hear as I am going the Eternabond route this year. BTW, where did you buy all that product and do you recall the costs?
Thanks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
I bought the tape from Amazon because it was the cheapest I found during all my searches. The 6" X 50' roll cost $88 and the 4" X 50' was $57 (no tax and no shipping cost). Certainly not cheap. I also bought a steel seam roller for $20 and I think the EternaClean and EternaPrime were somewhere around $12 each. I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff so am hoping it lasts as long as they say. Good luck on your project!

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

I will have to look into it sounds good to me instead of re sealing all the time
Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Way to go Skip! You just added another project to my list of thing to do. It looks really nice. You did an awesome job.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #8

Personally I swear by that stuff. I used plenty of it over the years on my previous rig from skylight repair to questionable seams between the fiberglass roof and the gutter. I do what you did and that's put caulk (Geoflex is good, not household silicone) on the leading edges to keep the wind from lifting it. If the surface is clean that stuff sticks like crazy and is permanent.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

As others have mentioned, proper cleaning and prep is key. I discovered that an old wallpaper seam roller works well to help stitch down the Eternabond tape. I hate wallpapering so I might as well use that tool for something I don't mind installing.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
snip...... While I was at it, thought I might as well cover the seams on the bathroom vent and skylight.
Nice work on the EternaBond project , it's a great product and will last for years.

Another seam that should be watched is the slide(s) outer roof/trim edge, the OEM sealer tape has a tendency to pull-up along it's edge and isn't as robust as the Eternabond product.

My EternaBond project from a few years ago: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ct-9264-3.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote