Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Adding Combo Washer/Dryer in RV

I am about to embark on another RV modification. I have a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE. It was not designed to have a washer / dryer unit. However, we take a number of long trips annually and would really like to be able to run at least a small load of laundry at the RV each evening.

So... if you look at our floor plan you will see that we have the fireplace in the center rear of the RV. To each side there is a countertop with a narrow tall window facing the rear of the RV. Above each counter is a cabinet and below is another cabinet. I measured the recessed space available and found it is about 33.5" tall (allowing for the light at the top), 24" wide, and about 17.5" deep allowing for about 1.5" rear clearance for the window blind.

I found that the Splendide 7100XC combo washer/dryer (non-vented) will just fit into that space. I may need to add some 1/4" plywood to the top of the counter to extended it out a few inches to support the feet of the unit. I won't know for certain until I receive it.

I plan to drill a grommet hole about 2" in diameter into the countertop in order to feed the power cord, water line, and drain line down to the lower cabinet. I have a 15amp outlet at the countertop that I will tap off to create another outlet inside the lower cabinet. I plan to drill through the back of the lower cabinet through to the outside of the rear of the RV in order to create a city water hookup to supply the unit by using a "Y" connector to run one hose to the normal RV water supply and a second dedicated to the washer/dryer unit. I will also add a drain line going through that cabinet out to the exterior wall. This will accept a regular water hose that will be connected to a sewer hose rinse cap that is then connected to a regular sewer hose, which is finally connected to the sewer via a "Y" sewer connection in which the other side is connected to the usual grey/black drain of the trailer.

Basically, I am setting up the washer/dryer as a stand-alone component that has it's own exterior water supply and drain. I won't be able to use this without a sewer site since there will be no holding tank but really we only stay long enough to do laundry at campsites that have full hookups.

My only concern is that the installation manual indicates that the drain requires a stand-pipe of at least 1.25" allowing for 7 gpm flow. The hose connection won't be that large of a diameter. However, from what I have read, the hoses I planned to use can handle more than 7 gpm of water flow. So... I am thinking that this should not be an issue provided I am allowing for the required volume of water. I will probably try this out before actually making any holes in anything to see if it works as expected.

Perhaps when I am done I'll have the only 30DSRE out there with a built-in washer/dryer set-up.

I will have to give up the narrow window on the left side of the fireplace but really we never open that one anyway and up to this point I had a sizable multi-function printer / copier sitting over there blocking most of it. I will also have to settle for cold water only washing... which is better than nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts about how I could set-up the drain? I am not sure of a good way to do it aside from what I've proposed. I am just worried about the restricted diameter size. I don't know what else I could use though to create a drain to the exterior that goes to the sewer line.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Are you planning to beef up the floor of the trailer to handle the weight of the unit while going down the road and also when using the washer / dryer? Not sure if it's needed, but those machines can get pretty heavy for an RV floor.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
Are you planning to beef up the floor of the trailer to handle the weight of the unit while going down the road and also when using the washer / dryer? Not sure if it's needed, but those machines can get pretty heavy for an RV floor.
This will be in the back corner of the RV sitting on a counter that is part of the built-in cabinetry which also contains the fireplace and television. It seems like a pretty rock solid part back there. I can put my full weight on that counter and even jostle around on it and it doesn't budge. This built-in goes straight to the floor so there would be no way for me to do anything at the base. I may end up blocking the underside of the counter (which is accessed from inside the cabinet below) to give it additional support if that looks doable when I get into this project. The counter is 3/4 inch thick and is a solid piece as it is. It seems to be pretty strong and with some blocking beneath it I would be very surprised if it would "go anywhere".
Old 08-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

I ended up putting the combo unit on the floor in the corner rather than on the built in shelf. We've taken a trip and used it everyday for 5 days. It's working great.