Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Adding Electrical outlets

Has anyone ever added a couple of extra electrical outlets to your trailer?
Our new 28BHS does not have a plug on the counter where I would like to plug in my coffee maker.. Just wondering what my options are?

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

I have added extra electrical box's to a older TT in the past. What I did was to find the closest box daisy chain wiring using an electrical square conduit, wiring and a surface mount electrical box. It worked just fine.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
I have added extra electrical box's to a older TT in the past. What I did was to find the closest box daisy chain wiring using an electrical square conduit, wiring and a surface mount electrical box. It worked just fine.
I did the same with an older TT back in the early '70s except I cheated; I gutted the entire trailer and completely rewired it (among other things).

What the OP can do is steal power from another outlet in the same wall and fish the power over to it. If there are too many studs nin the way, then a Wiremold adapter box can be mated to the existing outlet box or installed nearby then surface mount Wiremold can be used to get the power to a surface mount Wiremold box in the new location. A more sanitary option that would also allow stealing power from another wall or the electical panel would be to go down through the floor and back up in the new location (trickier but doable).

The easiest option would be to plug a power strip into an existing outlet and let it set on a counter or on the floor (don't let dangle). Some can also be fastened to the wall.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

We use a strip in the trailer for our Linxis, two phone chargers, and my computer. We have another under the table for Sallies computer and sewing machine and any other thing that needs to be plugged in. We have one outside for the extra refirgerator, outside lights, and crock pot when it is used. They all have a breaker built in and we have never had to reset.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

I've never lived anywhere that had adequate outlets. Heck, I carry a 6' extension cord and a one to three outlet adapter when I travel. One of the first things I do when I move into a new place is to start adding outlets. I added seven 120V outlets, five hardwired smoke detectors, and one 30A dryer outlet to the mobile home I'm living in within a year after moving in(also added two ceiling fans with lights and one without, and two ceiling lights).
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #6

I added an electrical outlet in my camper. Did it just like I would in our home. I installed the outlet in a cupboard with the face of the outlet on the outside of the cupboard. The outside walls are too thin to put an outlet (to be used inside) in them, at least in my Z.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

Make sure whatever you add is GFCI since it is in a wet location. Unless you tie in behind the first one in series where the whole circut is protected as a result.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Site Team

We plug our coffee maker in the recept between the small window and the stove. A nice feature of the 28BHS is the L shaped kitchen with LOTS of counter space as far as trailers go.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Lee
we have the same layout.. for our new 28bhs, but when we looked at it today it appeared that the cord would probably not reach...
What brand of coffee maker do you have?

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
Lee
we have the same layout.. for our new 28bhs, but when we looked at it today it appeared that the cord would probably not reach...
What brand of coffee maker do you have?
Its a Cuisinart. We also had a cheapo Black & Decker that worked there.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Site Team

I will also add that we place the coffee maker right in front of the outlet so no need for a very long cord there.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #12

I put in 2 new outlets in my gally. Have a RK so I put one in the underside of the overhead cabinet behind the sink. That is for the coffee maker with the plug overhead I can see at a glance if i forgot to unplug. The 2nd plug I put in the wall next to the refrige use it for the toaster.

Have A 2008 Jayco Jay Feather LGT 31E
2005 F150

:)
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #13

I just found a special outlet from our Rv dealer that is designed to install in 1/2 inch-1" walls and does not require a box. I will post some photos when we do this mod.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

I to wanted an extra outlet by the kitchen sink. My soultion was to add an entire seperate electrical service for this purpose. I used the shore power cord from an old pup added an 20 amp male external connection beside my factory 30 amp service. This way I can plug straight in to the 20 amp cg power. I have one gfi outlet by the bathroom sink and one by the kitchen sink. This way DW, DD's curling iron, hair dryer and my coffee pot, toaster, crock pot etc. is not on the tt electrical circuts at all.
2007 Jayco Jayflight 27bh/2003 Ford F150 (7700) heavy half, 7 lugger, 5.4, 3:73s, r100 trans.
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #15

I like that idea, Jaybird and welcome to the JOF.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote