Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Air Bags and On-Board Air

I added rear airbags to my Greyhawk not because i needed them for extra weight or stabilization, but because I needed another 1.5” clearance to get up my driveway. I have the heavy duty skid wheels, but the dump valves would still just touch. The bags gave me 2.5” more clearance and that did the trick for me. I also use them when coming out of gas stations etc where I’m worried about hitting.

I added onboard air and control panel so I can control the air bags from the cab. I use air for tires etc to so I added a type “T” hose coupler. I had extra room in the panel so I added an outside temperature gauge with ICE warning. I used the coin holder area because that's completely useless to me.

The compressor i used was a VIAIR 440C and the tank is a 5 gallon AirMaxxx.

I made the panel using a company called Front Panel Express.

This is so cool! You go to their website and download the free designer software (PC, MAC or Linux).
It’s pretty simple to use. Once you figure out the size of the panel you want, you just drag and drop holes, squares, lettering etc where you want. It calculates the cost as you’re going. When your done, save and send. In 2 weeks your panel arrives. My panel was about $40 delivered. A little pricey, but not considering I would have put a couple hours minimum to do it plus materials and, it wouldn’t look as good. I learned about this tool from another RV enthusiast. I have the blank template for the late model E450 coin holder if anyone is interested in making their own custom panel for this area. Just start with the template and start adding your holes and lettering.

Front Panel Express:

Front Panel Express: Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service: Home

I hope this information helps someone!

James
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2033.jpg   IMG_2060.jpg   IMG_2097.jpg  
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

Air Bag Picture

I forgot to add this picture of one of the air bags...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2019.jpg  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #3

jgerhard,

Very nice job!
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Very cool indeed! That panel is an excellent piece of work.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

Hey thanks! That panel company makes it so easy.

James
Old 03-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

I cannot believe the timeliness of this thread. I just started looking for a legend plate for a golf cart key yesterday. I'm doing a full custom build on this cart and have decided to use a round 3 position key assembly made for a Harley Davidson Dyna to get away from the "one key fits all golf carts" world. The legend that comes with the key is just a decal and I wanted something better. In less than an hour, I have downloaded the program, learned to use it, custom designed a black aluminum legend plate with color-filled text for the "OFF", "IGN", and "LTS" functions I desire, and placed the order. Yeah, it's $30 for a plate that measures less than 2"x2", but when you're doing custom work these little details make all of the difference. Thanks for sharing. You made my day!

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Hey that's great SparkDr! Glad I could help!

JG
Old 03-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #8

I hope the bags are inflated separately and not together. Otherwise when you go around a corner the air will be forced out of the bag on the inside and to the bag on the outside. This would adversely affect handling.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #9

Thanks for your comments Seann45. Like I said, I only use the air bags when go in and out of driveways.. I did keep the lines separate all the way to my control board so I could separate them in the future should I ever want to. On my old class A, I had the air bags separate, so I could "level" the rig when driving. The manufacturers layout was "weight lopsided". They Greyhawk seems balanced, at least so far. With all the crap I'm adding i may screw that up.

James
Old 03-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

jgerhard > Thanks for the link to Front Panel Express - I had no idea a service like this existed! Pretty nifty. May have solved a problem I have with an old boat.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

That's great MzLiz! Glad to have helped.

- JG
Old 03-29-2016, 05:30 AM   #12

Here's a couple of pics of my project. One picture is of the switch I have chosen for my golf cart. It is a 3 position for off, on, and on w/ accessory (lights in my case). The other picture is a screenshot of the legend plate I designed and ordered using the software. I'll chime back in with some more pics once the plate arrives and I have it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (3).jpg  
Attached Images

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

It looks great SparkDr! Nice design work.

Jgerhard
Old 04-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #14

Any details on where the pump and tank are installed, as well as some of the circuits/power?
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Any details on where the pump and tank are installed, as well as some of the circuits/power?
Hi CarlB,

I'll take some pictures and post as soon as I can. I installed the tank and pump between the propane tank and steps on the passenger side near the front (2016 31FS). I didn't drill any holes. I used all-thread rod and angle iron to mount everything. I grabbed heavy power for the pump right from the rear battery and fused to the pump relay. The control panel gets power to activate the pump relay and air bag solenoids from the front battery accessory wire.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #16

Can you add a parts list and cost of it all. I have a 2015 Greyhawk and I'm looking to do the same thing. Great work and very clean finish!
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #17

Hi RangerBob. I purchased most things on Ebay because the prices were the best I could find. Below is the list with prices and links. I didn't include the air bags or temperature gauge but can if you want those too.

The total cost (not including air bags or temp gauge) was ~ $549.

- JGerhard

Compressor with Air Tank, relay and pressure switch $197

Viair Air Compressor Chrome 444C 5 Gallon Tank for Air Bag Suspension 120 150PSI | eBay

Extra Air Line 36’ $20

Firestone 0938 Air Line Tubing | eBay

Compressor Mount Bracket $30

Viair Compressor Mounting Bracket 444C 480C 380C 400C Air Ride Suspension 95900 | eBay

Dual Needle Air Gauge $35

Air Gauge Dual Needle 200psi Air Ride Suspension System Part 2" Black Face LED | eBay

Air Valves for air bags $25

air ride suspension 1/4"npt brass valve electric solenoid for train horn fast

8 Brass Push Fittings $32

X4 1 4 NPT 1 4 Hose Fittings Push Air Ride Tank Bags Horn Bagged Connect Brass | eBay

2 Brass fittings for gauge $10

Air Ride Suspension System 2X Gauge Fittings 1 8NPT Female to 1 4" Air Hose Push | eBay

Dash Control Panel $50

Front Panel Express: Front Panel Design Software and CAD Conversion Service: Home

Misc wire, connectors, bolts, all-thread, angle iron, electrical switches $120

Hose reel in compartment (plus ball valve) $30

Ironton Mini Air Hose Reel — With 1/4in. x 26ft. Hybrid Polymer Hose, Max. 180 PSI | 1/4in. Hose Reels| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #18

I was looking at that second picture and it looks like you got the ride rite kit from firestone part number 2458 or the hellwig 6102. Do you have a helper spring on your leaf pack? I am having issues because firestone offers two kits and I'm not sure which one to choose because I will have that leaf pack and the helper spring there in the way. Thanks btw for the quick reply on the parts list.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #19

I have the 2458 kit. They don't interfere with the Hellwig helper springs that came on my 2016 Greyhawk. I used the heat shield that came with the kit on the passenger side, and I also had to move a brake line slightly to clear the drivers side bag.

It was not easy to install, mostly because of the top nut on the air bag. If I had to do it again, I would toss the luck nut they give you and use a regular nut and lock washer. It's hard to get to, and there is a lot of thread to work that lock nut down.

I hope this helps!

2008-2014 Ford E450 Motorhome Class C - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs (NO-DRILL) [REAR] [2458] | $397.68 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

JGerhard
Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #20

I figured it was the firestone bags. All of the firestone and airlift bags didn't have applications for the 2015 models and I was hesitant to get them for the 2014's. After talking with sd spring rep they convinced me the hellwig bags were the way to go and I pulled the trigger. I also went with an airlift compressor, but can't figure out if it can fill a tank then go to the distribution valve for the two bags (dual path) or if I need a separate compressor for it with an air tank. the compressor doesn't seem to be heavy duty like that one you purchased so ill have to see. Im looking forward to making that bracket and having it all installed. Thanks again.