Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Alternate Bike Rack while towing TT

Hi All,

This *technically* isn't a post about modding a 'Jayco' per se, but many of us need to transport bikes while hauling travel trailers.

I decided I wasn't interested in a rear rack, and the "Jack-It" style front racks would obviously require the trailer in tow to move bikes, and sometimes we just want to go riding off campground.

And finally, I wanted to elevate the bikes above the bed, just because they (the bikes) are so darn obnoxious and bulky.

So, I designed a bike rack to span the bed rails, and I used 80/20 extrusion.

https://goo.gl/photos/oQe3KFoDwHosFpuc6

Sorry for the link to the Google album, I'm trying to find a good way to host and post photos - I've always used the public DropBox folder, but they (DB) are shutting it down in September.

After measuring the truck body, I started in AutoCAD and drew up the plans. I then went to http://www.8020.net and ordered the parts. They will cut the material for you at the dimensions you need, including any drilling and/or tapping.

Many lessons have been learned - it turns out that working with 80/20 has a rather steep learning curve. (read "expensive.)

I'll edit this post with build pics as I figure it out.

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

How much time and money do you have in it? You can do the same thing with Thule or Yakima components, if you are willing to part with about $700 (for 4 bikes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Looks great. Out of curiosity, was this cheaper than buying something like a Yakima or Thule' unit that is made to go on the bed rails?

Apparently, I was typing my question while bearcat77 was posting, lol.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
BCK

Nicely done!

We take 5 bikes so I have 2 on the back of the tt and I mount 3 on a similar Thule rack on top of my truck canopy.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Very cool. I can't do that because my solid Tonneau cover goes over the bed rails and covers the stake mounts.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #6

Thanks everyone.

I have about $450 into it. Now that I've done a couple projects with 80/20, I know exactly which bag of screws to purchase separately from amazon. 8020.net has a hefty markup on screws and the like.

Plus, I'm also seeing just how simple running a screw-tap really is, so I won't be ordering any additional "machining" from 8020.net either. As shown in my photos I did use my own personal table top drill press for some customization. The aluminum material is a dream to work with. My next tool purchase will likely be a bandsaw to cut this stuff.

The profiles that I used for this project are the 1.5" heavy duty bars, and I could easily use this rack for MUCH heavier items, like a Thule Gear box for example.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
How much time and money do you have in it? You can do the same thing with Thule or Yakima components, if you are willing to part with about $700 (for 4 bikes).

Thanks BearCat.

I looked and looked and looked for Thule "towers" that would work, and I could not find any.

Plus - I wanted a very specific set of criteria met:
1. The current tonneau is mounted using clamps to the bed rails. When the tonneau is rolled, the roll gets to approximately 12" in diameter, and my rack needed to stand taller than the roll.
2. Because the tonneu uses rail clamps, the rack needed to be self-supported on the bed rails.
3. I needed to keep my Stake pockets open, because I have a ladder rack that mounts into the stake pockets.
4. My tonneu is a combination cover AND toolbox (since been discontinued by Truxedo, and I want to keep the box, tonneau, rack, and ladder rack all functional.

So... that laundry list of "criteria" is what forced me into custom bike-rack-land.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Thanks BearCat.

I looked and looked and looked for Thule "towers" that would work, and I could not find any.

Plus - I wanted a very specific set of criteria met:
1. The current tonneau is mounted using clamps to the bed rails. When the tonneau is rolled, the roll gets to approximately 12" in diameter, and my rack needed to stand taller than the roll.
2. Because the tonneu uses rail clamps, the rack needed to be self-supported on the bed rails.
3. I needed to keep my Stake pockets open, because I have a ladder rack that mounts into the stake pockets.
4. My tonneu is a combination cover AND toolbox (since been discontinued by Truxedo, and I want to keep the box, tonneau, rack, and ladder rack all functional.

So... that laundry list of "criteria" is what forced me into custom bike-rack-land.

Yeah, you would have clearance issues with a roll up cover using the Thule system. Yours looks good, and probably will be rock solid. The Thule is fine for bikes, but the load bar has some flex in it, so I wouldn't push the load much beyond the weight of bikes. Always nice to save a couple hundred bucks too. Here's pics of the Thule rack for anyone comparing.

bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Nice job! What type of bike racks do you have mounted to them? Will Thule racks fit?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #10

What is wrong with posting the pictures here? That way in a couple years when you no longer have your google account forum members can still see your project.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

How about the Sea Suckers Bomber rack for the tonneau cover? Here's a pic attached to a car but Sea Suckers attach to any smooth surface.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1110.jpg  
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote