Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Another LED Awning Light dimmer thread.

So, like many others I thought the LED awning lights were WAY to bright and felt the need for a dimmer. What I wasn't willing to do was change them out for a set of multi color/flashing wireless remote controlled disco lights. I have those hanging out on the end of the awning

I also wasn't willing to mount the dimmer switch anywhere but in the control panel next to the switch. I figured if I needed to, I would find a point to tie into the awning lights inside the trailer and run the power and ground leads directly to the control panel to hook them to the dimmer. I figured at the same time I was doing this, I would separate the step lights from the awing lights.

Let me preface this by stating that in my camper ('17 24RBS) the awning/step lights, 2 lights above the counter area in the wood panel on the ceiling and the main living area ceiling lights are all on the same fuse/circuit. All three of those switches are in the control panel.

First step, pull out the control panel and untangle the rats nest of wires. I should have taken pictures of how stuff was set up before I started pulling wires and testing/cutting. I didn't because 12V is not rocket dentistry and I wasn't thinking about a write up when I did it, I was thinking drink margaritas and make this work!!

So what I found. Coming into the control panel was a pair of wires that were tied in a knot and the +12V (black) went to the bottom of all three switches in the control panel. Ok, those are feeding power to switches. Simple enough. The ground (white wire) however was attached to another white wire that seemed to loop through the control panel but was not attached to anything. This white wire also had two other white wires scotchlok'd to it. There was also a looped through black wire but it had a scotchlok connector on it and it was attached to the output side of.....you guessed it, the awning/step light switch.

I pulled all the connections to the white wire apart. I grabbed the looped through white wire and the looped through black wire and cut them in half. I temporarily tied one half of the now cut white wire to the white wire that was knotted to the black wire. Then I applied +12v to one half of the now cut black wire. No joy. I applied +12v to the other side of it and the awning lights came to life but not the step light and my suspicions were confirmed. I taped this pair of the cut in half black and white wires together. I did the same test on the remaining half of the cut wires and of course found that they controlled the step light. Sweet I had my lights separated and I had a ground wire that ran directly to the awning lights and a source ground all in the same location.

At this point, there were two untested pairs of wires left. Through the same procedure, I grouped the main ceiling light wires together and the wires for the two lights above the counter.

I now had 4 pairs of wires. +12V and GND source wires and a pair for each set of lights. With everything grouped together but disconnected, I checked every other 12 volt item in the trailer to make sure none of them shared a ground with those that I had disconnected. Everything else still worked and for giggles, I used a meter and did a continuity test between the awning ground and a couple of other items just to be sure. All good.

So, knowing how it all worked, I stuck it all back together like factory and came here to tell you all that it will work!!!

Just kidding, I did stick it all back together and promptly went inside and ordered the dimmer off of Amazon that most people seemed to be using.

2 days later I'm in the camper about to give the dimmer a shot and it hit me.... hey, the main living area lights are stupid bright two, why didn't you order two of these

I quickly and temporarily wired it up to the main lights and it worked like a champ. Then I undid that and temporarily wired it up to the awning lights and it worked like a champ as well. So, I moved some switch wiring around so that the two overhead switches would be side by side and the eventual two switches for the awning and step lights could be side by side. When wired up, you will have the source ground, the ground of the dimmer and the ground of all other lights that are not being dimmed tied together. The output of the switch that turns on the light will be tied to the positive side of the lights being dimmed and the positive input of the dimmer. Lastly, the ground of the lights being dimmed will be tied to the ground output of the dimmer. I mounted the dimmer and wired it up permanently and all is well.

I will be ordering another double gang switch plate to have separate switches for the awning and step lights but in the meantime, I can flip one switch and have the step light and the awning lights on or I can use the dimmer to turn the awning lights off and just have the step light. I have also ordered another dimmer so that I will be able to dim the main living area lights.

I really regret not taking any pics as I know this explanation may not be as clear as some would like but I think it will at least give you an idea of how it was all set up. Obviously, I am not sure if all models are wired this way. Heck, seeing the build quality on these things it wouldn't surprise me if 2 campers that came of the assembly line one after the other were wired differently.

This is the dimmer I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the write up, I have the same camper.
I do think everything needs a dimmer. Not sure when I'll get to it.
Currently we leave gang switch on and individually turn off majority of lights.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Thanks for the write up, I have the same camper.
I do think everything needs a dimmer. Not sure when I'll get to it.
Currently we leave gang switch on and individually turn off majority of lights.

Doug
Hey, if it's useful for one person, it's good enough for me. I was doing that with the lights but that got annoying. Now I mostly just turn on the under counter led lights and the light over the table. I may use other lights when needed. The skylight provided quite a bit of light but when it's real hot out, I have shade closed with a piece of reflectix on top of it which eliminates 99% of the light through that.
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

I found the black wire for the awning/step lights, but in my unit, the junction of the 2 is farther up in the ceiling. I pulled a bunch down, but no connector.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvarkjff View Post
I found the black wire for the awning/step lights, but in my unit, the junction of the 2 is farther up in the ceiling. I pulled a bunch down, but no connector.
There wasn't a "junction" in my control panel area. They literally ran the wires from the awning lights into the control panel opening and down to the step lights. A scotchlok type female spade terminal was added to the black wire and it was snapped onto the switch and then all the grounds, including the source ground were tapped onto the looped through white wire with scotchlok connectors. To separate the awning lights from the step lights, you literally have to cut the looped through black and white wires. One half goes to the awning lights, the other half goes to the step lights.
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
There wasn't a "junction" in my control panel area. They literally ran the wires from the awning lights into the control panel opening and down to the step lights. A scotchlok type female spade terminal was added to the black wire and it was snapped onto the switch and then all the grounds, including the source ground were tapped onto the looped through white wire with scotchlok connectors. To separate the awning lights from the step lights, you literally have to cut the looped through black and white wires. One half goes to the awning lights, the other half goes to the step lights.
Did some more research. Mine is wired differently. I have a common black at all my switches, kitchen light, livingroom lights, and awning/step lights. The way mine are run is that for the awning/step light switch a single wire goes into the mysterious hole in the ceiling. I assume the tie-in of both step and awning occurs up there. When I checked my wires on the step light, it is a green one that goes towards the back of the trailer and under a water tank, assuming near my fridge while the awning wires are way forward of the door at the front. Thanks for the insight, now I have more ideas to look at for this.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvarkjff View Post
Did some more research. Mine is wired differently. I have a common black at all my switches, kitchen light, livingroom lights, and awning/step lights. The way mine are run is that for the awning/step light switch a single wire goes into the mysterious hole in the ceiling. I assume the tie-in of both step and awning occurs up there. When I checked my wires on the step light, it is a green one that goes towards the back of the trailer and under a water tank, assuming near my fridge while the awning wires are way forward of the door at the front. Thanks for the insight, now I have more ideas to look at for this.
I gotcha. Well good luck on your quest.
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Fantastic write up Nismogriff!

At some point I'll get to this same project. I really like the dimmer that you found as well as the idea to dim the overheads. I've been working in studios for most of my career and dimly lit rooms are what i'm used to and strongly prefer.

Looking forward to 'spinning the wheel' and finding how my camper is wired!

Enjoy the margs!

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

I ordered a dimmer for the main living area lights on Thursday. It showed up early this afternoon and since I was already working in the camper mounting a TV in the bedroom I installed it. Works great and I can't wait to check it out at night.
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
Old 06-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

Thank you! I hope it turns out that other trailers are wired the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
Fantastic write up Nismogriff!

At some point I'll get to this same project. I really like the dimmer that you found as well as the idea to dim the overheads. I've been working in studios for most of my career and dimly lit rooms are what i'm used to and strongly prefer.

Looking forward to 'spinning the wheel' and finding how my camper is wired!

Enjoy the margs!

Jeff
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #11

Glad to see people that want to dim the lights.

Saw a camper last weekend, Leds on at midnight, bright blue, lit up 3 other campsites. Looked like a UFO was landing on the campsite.

Keep up the good work.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote