Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

Axle Lift 2004 Jayco Jay Feather 18F

I have a new to me 2004 Jayco Jay Feather 18F. Beautiful trailer with one MAJOR flaw, ground clearance. When I went to pick it up, the dealer had panned on installing a lift kit. Unfortunately, they found out that this particular model does not have that option. They tech advised that it could be done, but it would need to me manufactured custom. My question is, the dealer may have been wrong, so has anyone who has experience with this ever done what I need done? It is possible, because nothing is impossible, just want to see if anyone else has done this?

Thank You,
Jeff
2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi's (Leinie Red-12 & Badger-3)
1 5 year old son John
Yoti14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

You probably have a Dexter torqueflex axel & if it is the correct style( call Dexter) they do have a lift kit. It is a lot of work for the 2" you get, I know I've done it except I used square tube instead of the channel they sell in the kit. If you are only concerned about raising the drain meet your" blue budy", you could lower the nose of the tt,as far as you can , and get 2" or more height on the drain pipe & dig a hole for the "blue buddy" Kinda a pain I know but you would need to raise the tt about 4" ( very expensive)Larry
Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

Jeff, do some searches on rv.net. I've seen quite a few people there over the years do this. Lots of pictures too. I have to say that when we bought our old Kiwi 17a it too had really low ground clearance. After scraping a few driveways with the drag bars I learned how to handle it and in 10 years never had any real issues with it.

Larry, for some JayFeather models they used a frame which could not accommodate the factory lift kit. I've seen posts on other forums where members contacted Dexter directly. Unfortunately Jeff is probably stuck with a custom lift.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #4

I talked to Dexter today. They do have a lift kit for that axle. Its for a tandem, but will still work. After looking at the diagrams it appears some frame drilling may required because of the design of the frame. Some more research is in order, but at least I have a good starting point. Thanks 19 & Doc Brown for your input.
1 5 year old son John
Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #5

Jeff
I have the same concerns with my Jayco 165. I just ordered the tandem kit from Dexter for the #10 Torflex axle. Will let you know how it works out. If you decide to go this route, I only need one set of the spacers for the Jayco 165 and will be selling the second set

Mike
Mikemvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

The only drilling should be in the spacers you install. To make your life easy drill those holes on the bench. I used 2" sq tube as my spacers and welded it in after all the bolting was complete. Basically you raise the tt, put on jack stands, use a jack under the axel remove the 4 bolts on each side, lower the axel, bolt the bracket back on the frame using the top holes in the bracket and the lower holes in the frame. Fill in the gap with sq. tube drilled to accept the bolts going thru the lower holes of the bracket. It is a little trickey tightining those bolts in the sq. tube but it can be done it the tube isn't too long. Larry
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemvg View Post
Jeff
I have the same concerns with my Jayco 165. I just ordered the tandem kit from Dexter for the #10 Torflex axle. Will let you know how it works out. If you decide to go this route, I only need one set of the spacers for the Jayco 165 and will be selling the second set

Mike
Mike that sounds great,please keep me informed and take some pictures. Any visual help can be a bonus. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Thanks!
1 5 year old son John