Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Battery security

I store my TT at a gated and well secured facility which happens to have a workcamper who knows me located about 25 feet from my space.

How worried should I be about my battery? There has not been a battery stolen ever at this place, BUT as I was driving out I noticed that not many people leave their batteries behind. Maybe 1 in 20. It is also a sizable self storage facility so most people that come and go are not looking at the outdoor storage areas.

I do have access to electric to trickle charge. I am also thinking of adding a small solar tender. Dragging the battery is work as we all know. Plus I have an extra deep cycle which is about a year old which I am thinking of leaving there.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

I wonder if the other TT owners take their batteries home to maintain? We store our 2015 WhiteHawk in front of our house. Never had a problem with the batteries 'walking off'. However I did just replace both batteries and added a cutoff switch because after two years they would no longer take a charge. (Learned my lesson about those parasitic little led lights that won't shut off.) also got a battery tender for Christmas which I intend to start using regularly. I do worry about that walking off though. Ideas on how to conceal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #3

The long extension cord seems to be the tip off. I'm working on concealing the solar. If I could point it north no one would see it.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

What kind of solar charger are you using? I've seen some inexpensive ones locally but figure you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

I'm still deciding and thinking the same thing. $10 harbor Freight and don't worry if it walks. $40 Battery Tender and worry.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #6

My trailer is stored in a lot approximately a mile from the house. I always pull my battery during storage or extended periods of non-use and connect it to a battery tender in my garage. I regularly check to ensure the water levels are correct and have never had any issues. I personally have no issues having to take the battery with me to install or disconnect and take it with me.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I store my TT at a gated and well secured facility which happens to have a workcamper who knows me located about 25 feet from my space.

How worried should I be about my battery?

I do have access to electric to trickle charge. I am also thinking of adding a small solar tender. Dragging the battery is work as we all know. Plus I have an extra deep cycle which is about a year old which I am thinking of leaving there.
- The first plus is that you have a work camper located near the TT. When they are around that is defiantly a plus.

- If this is a typical storage center with those long steel sheds for other than RV's... then you have a problem with NON-RVing customers, which opens up to a PROBABLY lesser honest category of customers (based on my previous use of them). You should be able to look up all the past police responses to that address on the public services website for that area. I would at least have some sort of basic security for the batteries, like a chain wrapped around the case(s). This should eliminate the group of thieves that just want to go in, grab and run in the least amount of time possible.

I am not sure if you have a "Battery Disconnect" switch, but you will need to install one before thinking about what method you will go with to keep the batteries topped off. All of the TT's electronics (CO alarm, fridge ckt board, radio...) are still creating a load on the battery(s).

As for hooking up to a smart charger, a good/bad idea. As mentioned it is like an illuminated arrow pointing to your battery box(s), I would bypass that idea.

SOLAR.... here is a topic that will have a lot of PRO's/CON's/Opinions. Is your TT stored under a tree or in the open? Shade... I would not go with SOLAR!

First off if you purchase a 2 watt SOLAR charger to keep your batteries topped off, this means that you will need to fully charge the battery(s) before you put the TT in storage. The smart trickle chargers, low wattage SOLAR panels can only keep a battery topped off if fully charged and NO loads on the battery(s).

When someone suggests that a 2 watt panel will do the job... that panel needs to be in FULL sunlight at least 5 hours a day 7 days a week. Clouds, rain bring the output to an unusable output. I never recommend a SOLAR panel less than 50 Watts.... and an output voltage of 17VDC or greater. WHY? You will have more than enough power to keep the battery(s) topped off, with or without FULL sunlight. Even on cloudy/rainy days you will be able to produce enough energy to keep them charged. Oh, and do not forget that a SOLAR panel needs a SOLAR Charge Controller to ensure that the battery(s) do not get overcharged or drain them when the sun goes down.

So, where to put that SOLAR panel. Personally, mount it flat on the roof of your TT. Can't be seen. Installing, is easy, and you install it and forget it... well you still need to clean it every now and then.

If you are thinking of dry-camping in the future.. now is the time to purchase a basic kit that can be expanded to meet your current and future needs. Just remember mount your first panel with a layout that allows you to add more panels. SOLAR is addictive once your get started. A small Renogy 100 watt starter kit would be ideal as a basic system with future options to grow.

I installed a residential 250Watt (31 VDC) panel and (2) Trojan T145 batteries 4 years ago. I have not turned on the TT's battery charge controller since installing SOLAR.

Good Luck,

Don

My Registry
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #8

The 100 watt Renogy kit (expandable to 400 watts iirc) is on the list. But first I'm considering battery security.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #9

I use one of these when travelling. Bring the batteries home when it is in storage and place on a tender in the garage.

I wrap it around the two battery boxes on the A frame and cinch it tight.

Model No. 8413DPF | Master Lock
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Out TT is in the driveway, right next to the house, and I still remove the battery, and put on a tender after winterizing. Not in a bad area, just keeping it safe. On season, it stays on the tongue in the battery box. So far no problems, as the price of scrap lead is down.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
I use one of these when travelling. Bring the batteries home when it is in storage and place on a tender in the garage.

I wrap it around the two battery boxes on the A frame and cinch it tight.

Model No. 8413DPF | Master Lock
They can't be wiggled out?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
They can't be wiggled out?

Actually they can't, if the cable is tight enough. I used my old race-car tow chain, painted it and it locks snug around the battery boxes. the boxes have raised parts above the terminals and the cable/chain can not be slid over the top of them... again if they are tightened around them.

Granted, a cable cutter will go right through either of them.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Secuity Chain.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

I have my battery boxes screwed to the A frame and the boxes are touching each other, so no, cannot be wiggled out.

As many have stated, a lock keeps honest people honest, and slows down the other guys.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote