Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Bed platform mod

Hello, newbie with first mod.

I was told by a friend who also owns a Jayco that I would need to fix the bed first thing and he was right. Big sag and roll to the middle.

So looking at what others here have done I went with the create 2 separate storage spaces and cut plywood and add hinges so to lift half of platform. Went to camping world and got a bed lift kit and was amazed at how well it all worked out.

First pic shows the new wall / support. Its 1/4 plywood with 1x2 s glued and brad nailed. It is attached with screws into the existing structure. this was very lite and strong. along the top and on the other side is a second 1x2 ( visible in pic 2)to make top edge wider so there is plenty of bearing surface since the plywood 2x3 s will be cut along the center of support.

Second pic is completed mod. the lift kit is the "standard " kit. I was expecting to have to try different attach points to get it right but hit it first time.

Im very happy with the result and appreciate help that I found on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
bed mod 3.jpg   bed mod 1.jpg  
PonyExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

Wow. Great 1st mod and great pics. Thanks!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

Another mod to add to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar Crew Cab 5.7L
Neil S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

Once I pick up our camper I will confirm this but I swear my 25BH has this in place from the factory.

I remember walking around looking at the various campers and seeing how with the Jay Flight's storage was T shaped because it extended from the pass through back under the front bed. When I was looking at the Jay Feather it didn't extend under the bed and when I lifted up on the front bed there were the lift assist shocks and they had the box with the outdoor grill stored under there.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Once I pick up our camper I will confirm this but I swear my 25BH has this in place from the factory.

I remember walking around looking at the various campers and seeing how with the Jay Flight's storage was T shaped because it extended from the pass through back under the front bed. When I was looking at the Jay Feather it didn't extend under the bed and when I lifted up on the front bed there were the lift assist shocks and they had the box with the outdoor grill stored under there.
I can confirm what sennister has said. Our 25bh is sectioned off just like your pic and not T shaped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
I can confirm what sennister has said. Our 25bh is sectioned off just like your pic and not T shaped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah, the thing that made me go back and look at the bed was when I saw that T storage I was thinking that either the bed on the 25BH must lift or there is a lot of wasted storage. Sure enough when I grabbed the lower corner of the bed it popped right up and I noticed the grill. I don't know that I would have tried opening it otherwise.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Here's our version of the bed rebuild. Gutted most of it and started over. Also used thicker plywood. Original was just about to break and was one of the crappiest designs I've ever seen in a RV. The panel / board in the pass through with the hinged access is for the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6960.jpg   IMG_6989.jpg   IMG_6995.jpg   IMG_6998.jpg   IMG_7001.jpg  

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #8

I use a coleman ice chest with a 4" x 4" laid perpendicular under the 3 existing platform ribs, fits perfectly. Jayco denied my claim on the simmons mattress failure. I went with a full size Sealy Posturepedic inner spring mattress for a replacement.