Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #41

Command hooks have not worked. they keep falling down all over the place. I'm back to the drawing board. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the command hooks and getting the shortest screws I can and doing a command hook screw combo.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #42

Sorry to hear that. Especially in light of the fact that I just used Command Hooks in one of my really skinny closets. I went with a 3/16" shelf and don't plan to put much weight on that shelf so hopefully, it will stay up.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #43

My experience with Command Hooks on anything which has a bit of texture has been less than excellent. They stick very well to gloss painted surfaces or smooth tile like subway tile, a bit of texture and not so great. It does seem to help to first clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, let dry completely, and then install the hooks.

As to using the hooks with wire shelves, if I had already installed them I would simply add a small screw to each hook unit as mentioned. That will make them stay put for light/medium shelf support duty. The screw will add support and keep the adhesive in contact. Two good things to have.

In fact, it may be a good idea to just use the Command Hooks figuring on needing to add a screw. They will still make shelf installation quick and easy as opposed to some other support methods. I believe that thinking to apply them for shelving support is a basically great idea.

Just my 2 cents.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #44

I engineered and built this whole structure in my closet using 1x1 for framing and 3/16 hardboard tempered panel for the shelves. It was a SERIOUS PITA, but it will hold some serious weight.

I don't know what I was thinking. I needed it to hold socks and t-shirts, not for a bowling ball rack!!

Anyway, I'm probably going to just screw/glue come cleats in my wife's side and use the same hardboard for the shelving and call it good 'nuff. After all, like I said, it's holding a few clothes, not stacks of bricks.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #45

The commad hooks in our bed room aren't holding up either, so gona try Gorilla glue.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #46

If you wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol, the command hooks stay put. At least that's been my experience.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
If you wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol, the command hooks stay put. At least that's been my experience.
As I mentioned earlier, that is my experience with smooth surfaces. The trailer interior surfaces I've worked with have a bit of texture. Not much texture, but enough to affect adhesion.

Command hooks have their applications. I doubt that they were ever intended as shelving supports. In my opinion, using them to support shelving without an extra fastener is just asking them to do more than they were intended to do.

Just my 2 cents.

vic
Old 04-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post

Command hooks have their applications. I doubt that they were ever intended as shelving supports. In my opinion, using them to support shelving without an extra fastener is just asking them to do more than they were intended to do.

Just my 2 cents.

vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
The commad hooks in our bed room aren't holding up either, so gona try Gorilla glue.
I'd agree with your point, Vic. My comment was directed at Swinepartner's, not for using them as shelving supports. That doesn't seem like a good application of them to me but they work great for holding up photos, hooks for hats, jackets, towels, etc. We had several around the camper and when it was time to sell it, they came off clean and easy.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:02 AM   #49

I decided I will add a small screw to the hooks to help with support. I will just need to be super careful I don't hit anything I'm not supposed to. They are light duty shelves for kids clothes and towels and such. Wanted to give each kid a shelf and have some of their older slightly worn clothes live in the camper so we have as little to pack as necessary to hit the road. i'm a teacher and summer break is fast approaching and I have an itch to really break in our new camper
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #50

Another possible mounting method would be using strong cord stretched between a single screw on the top where there is likely some frame structure and a bottom screw to keep the line taut.

My concept would be to use wire shelves and "S" hooks mounted at the appropriate levels. The shelves shouldn't jump out of the hooks while underway, but if that is a concern then the hooks can be crimped closed.

The hooks would be tied into place. I would use a bowline knot at the top. Two half hitches with a lock, or figure "8" loops would secure each hook. The lines can be pre-fabricated using a long enough board using a top screw anchor. The hook locations can be marked on the board to assure consistency. The lines would then be installed and tensioned to the bottom screw as the last step using two half hitches and a lock.

Strong nylon or Dacron cord would work. High tech line would almost guarantee no stretch over time.
APS: High Tech Single Braid Sailing Lines

I would simply use a wood screw or deck screw at the top and bottom.

Advantages:

You will be installing the screws in a strong, relatively safe area for penetration.
The shelf heights can be adjusted if your needs change.
It is a strong, inexpensive, and relatively easy install.

Disadvantage:
The shelves may shift a bit and may scuff the interior. A single stabilizing screw cable tied to each wire shelf should solve that issue.

FWIW. vic
Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Another possible mounting method would be using strong cord stretched between a single screw on the top where there is likely some frame structure and a bottom screw to keep the line taut.

My concept would be to use wire shelves and "S" hooks mounted at the appropriate levels. The shelves shouldn't jump out of the hooks while underway, but if that is a concern then the hooks can be crimped closed.

The hooks would be tied into place. I would use a bowline knot at the top. Two half hitches with a lock, or figure "8" loops would secure each hook. The lines can be pre-fabricated using a long enough board using a top screw anchor. The hook locations can be marked on the board to assure consistency. The lines would then be installed and tensioned to the bottom screw as the last step using two half hitches and a lock.

Strong nylon or Dacron cord would work. High tech line would almost guarantee no stretch over time.
APS: High Tech Single Braid Sailing Lines

I would simply use a wood screw or deck screw at the top and bottom.

Advantages:

You will be installing the screws in a strong, relatively safe area for penetration.
The shelf heights can be adjusted if your needs change.
It is a strong, inexpensive, and relatively easy install.

Disadvantage:
The shelves may shift a bit and may scuff the interior. A single stabilizing screw cable tied to each wire shelf should solve that issue.

FWIW. vic
I really like this idea! Very creative, and you can put it back to "factory" if you ever decide to sell the trailer. Very nice!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I really like this idea! Very creative, and you can put it back to "factory" if you ever decide to sell the trailer. Very nice!
Thanks.

It occurs to me that the "S" hooks may not even be needed. The figure "8" knot loops may be able to be just hooked over the extended cross round stock at the end of the shelves. Without hooks a small cable tie may be needed to keep the loops in place on the ends. Overall a bit cheaper than "S" hooks.

vic
Old 04-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #53

Nice job Vic! I'm stealing your idea!
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #54

I think it will very difficult to get all the knots exactly even on the vertical cords.
In technical rigging we call this an equalized system. Hard to achieve perfect equalization.
Maybe try using light duty chain instead of cord?
Good luck.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightOsix View Post
I think it will very difficult to get all the knots exactly even on the vertical cords.
In technical rigging we call this an equalized system. Hard to achieve perfect equalization.
Maybe try using light duty chain instead of cord?
Good luck.
That is a good possibility too. Chain is good for stabilization, but may scuff the surfaces more.

Suggesting the mock-up board and high tech line was my way of trying to get uniform results. I suppose that screws or nails could be set at each level on the mock-up board to give something to strain against. That should give consistency. Using S hooks might be easier than not using them.

I guess a lot depends upon how picky you are as to the shelves being exactly level. Once you close the doors...
Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #56

Perhaps you could use the tension on the cords to adjust the heights? If you were a little high or low on one corner, you could increase or decrease the tension on that cord slightly for the desired fine-tuned adjustment. You'd have to get pretty close with the knots, but I think it could be done.

Or possibly a really tight cord-lok to hold the shelves? I wonder if you could get one tight enough?

I'm having a frenzy of ideas for this project!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Chain is good for stabilization, but may scuff the surfaces more.
Plastic chain?
Old 04-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #58

CHeck out LOWES for the CLOSET ORGANIZER wood kits. They may have just what need.

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Perhaps you could use the tension on the cords to adjust the heights? If you were a little high or low on one corner, you could increase or decrease the tension on that cord slightly for the desired fine-tuned adjustment. You'd have to get pretty close with the knots, but I think it could be done.

Or possibly a really tight cord-lok to hold the shelves? I wonder if you could get one tight enough?

I'm having a frenzy of ideas for this project!
Keep thinking. Many of my threads and suggestions are really just thinking out loud. Hashing it around usually works toward a better solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightOsix View Post
Plastic chain?
Good thinking. Or maybe plastic covered steel chain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
CHeck out LOWES for the CLOSET ORGANIZER wood kits. They may have just what need.
Yep, or IKEA. Either has some really great organizer products that will work.
The cheap side of me has me looking to less expensive, and lighter weight, solutions.

vic
Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #60

Here are the shelves I added to my 23B last summer. Just some furring strips and some white pine boards.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150424_215541.jpg   20140808_101423.jpg  

2005 Jayco Jay Feather 23B -- current
1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 -- current

2001 Coleman Bayside Elite
2003 GMC Sonoma ZR2 Quad Cab
Jhmlbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote