Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #361

My kids kept saying they were warm (even with the AC on) back in the bunks, So, I took an idea that I did years ago to my boat (24 Ft Thompson Cruiser) and installed 12 volt auto/RV fans. Used small grommets to run the wiring thru the hole in the wall and attach to the light wires. Kids love the increased air flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Bunk Fan.jpg   Bottom Bunk Fan.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #362

Nice John! I did a similar thing in our loft for my daughter (even though she wasn't complaining about being hot). Only I just got a small plastic desk fan from Wally World and plugged into 110 outlet. About same size as yours but with a base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
My kids kept saying they were warm (even with the AC on) back in the bunks, So, I took an idea that I did years ago to my boat (24 Ft Thompson Cruiser) and installed 12 volt auto/RV fans. Used small grommets to run the wiring thru the hole in the wall and attach to the light wires. Kids love the increased air flow.
We're using a clip-on 110V fan. Could be a problem if we're camping without the genny or hookups, but hasn't been so far.

I like your solution though, I've been trying to come up with a 12V solution. It gets pretty stuffy back in those bunks. I've slept back there a time or two with my little boy, and you pretty much need something to move air in there.

I wish they had put a 110V plug on the INSIDE of my bunks. The only one in the area is in the ladder cutout, and there's one on that end of the dinette. Another problem I will likely have to fix "some day"!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #364

I'm still hoping to one day do my AC duct mod branching off of the bathroom vent, but until then, I'll either do fans or wait. Kids haven't complained so far.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #365

Hi used the Noggle, it extends the a/c through a tube. I attached the Noggle to the A/C vent in the upper bunk and ran the hose to the lower bunk.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Hi used the Noggle, it extends the a/c through a tube. I attached the Noggle to the A/C vent in the upper bunk and ran the hose to the lower bunk.

Here is the link address to the Noggle, I purchased the 8 ft. noggle in black.

I look forward to Big Johns duct mod.
copy and paste the link.

http://www.nogglenation.com

Trashman
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #367

Quote:
Does this take away the airflow from the upper bunk?
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #368

on the 28 bhbe there is two vents in the general area, one is right inside the top bunk, the other is forward to that vent by about a foot, attach the circle fitting to that vent. when its time for bed, attach the hose by turning 180 degrees to the fitting and then feed the tube to the bunk. The tube base is attached by plastic wire ties.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #369

Quote:
on the 28 bhbe there is two vents in the general area, one is right inside the top bunk, the other is forward to that vent by about a foot, attach the circle fitting to that vent. when its time for bed, attach the hose by turning 180 degrees to the fitting and then feed the tube to the bunk. The tube base is attached by plastic wire ties.
Not all BHBEs have the vent inside the bunk area. The only vent in that area on my trailer is the one right outside the bathroom door. I can direct it toward the bunks, but that only sorta works. If it gets really bad, I will leave the bathroom door open and point that vent out into the living space, and that helps a little bit.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #370

My BHBE is a 2017 so other models and years im not familar with. Im looking forward to Big Johns mod on the A/C vent. If anyone can do it and make it look factory it would be him!

I dont like the look of the tube hanging from the ceiling vent, but it brings air to the lower bunk. The other way to do it if its a single vent is to have a way to divide the air by placing a divider inside the attachment point at the ceiling and drill some holes in the housing to send some air to the upper bunk.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I'm still hoping to one day do my AC duct mod branching off of the bathroom vent, but until then, I'll either do fans or wait. Kids haven't complained so far.

Hi John,
I can see possibly getting the duct to the ceiling of the top bunk. However, I am wondering how you plan on getting it to the bottom bunk?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #372

Shallow duct run down the wall between bunks and bath. You'll just see a vent in each bunk and rigid duct will blend in on bath side. It's been in my head for a while, just need time and money, like all things.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #373

BigJohnD- We bought a new 2017 28BHBE in May. I just went through this thread and WOW!!! You're not a handyman..., you're an Artist!
Great job on the mods. I'm still trying to just get things working right as my dealer doesn't have a repair shop and their "fix it guy" is... well let's just say there are a few things I've given him a chance to fix only for me to come back and do it right. I'm sure I'll be asking for some advice down the road but thanks for the postings and the detail you've included on your work!
baumer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #374

Thank you for the compliments baumer64. I've been at a stand still for quite a while and looks like my modification days are numbered if not over. The finances are just no longer there. We hardly even camp much now which is kind of a downer for somebody that used to live for this stuff. However, I'm still here hanging around and always available to help, give ideas, or just brainstorm. Don't hesitate to shoot me a private message if you have any questions. I've left a lot of details out of this thread, and a few mods.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #375

Trim and Finishes

Great thread and nice work!
I was doing a bunch of my own mods. I'm struggling to find a finish that looks factory. Any input?
tmedic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #376

Not sure how much has changed with cabinets and stain colors since mine was built. I originally emailed Jayco, which took the vin and told me who made the cabinet doors. I then called them and they were able to give me the information I needed. On mine, the color is called Heritage Mocha Beach Glaze. The cabinet maker (made the cabinet doors) was Middlebury Hardwoods. Not sure where they get the stain, but you can get it from Rollie Williams Paint Spot and their part # for it is 4928.4. Might give them a call at (574) 264-3174. That's where I ordered my stain from.. On the poly, I always use a clear satin finish.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #377

Mine is 2015 also. Just saved me a ton of work.
Thank you!
tmedic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Problem with waiting, is the next time you may have a bad flooded camper. The front half of the bottom bunk obviously hinges up. I removed the mattress and propped the hinged opening up. Also pulled the bypass valve access and opened th hatch door for a little more light. Believe it or not I shoed my 225 lb self in there head first. No need to get up in that wall cut out. Make a cut on the pex inlet side and on the soft hose side right there near the inlet. The rest may just fall out.
I think I mentioned before that my Jayco dealer is a friend of mine? I had planned on taking the camper in after we were done camping this season to have the black tank flush fixed. I was talking to my friend (The dealer) the other day and out of the blue, he mentioned the black tank flush. He was saying to give him a call when I'm ready to bring it in. I said "ok". He then went on to say "we have just been cutting the relief valve out and making it a straight pipe into the tank". I was very happy to hear that! I proceeded to tell him that's what I've been reading online as well.

TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #379

The dealer I bought from cuts them out as well.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #380

Big John, going back to the bed mod. I closed off the storage under the bed and split the bed opening / hinge over the new partition. I found that made the top part of the bed less supported. So I want to run some 2x2 's from the new partition to the support on the front wall. Did you do that? And if so how did you do it?

Also trying to figure out the pneumatic lifts. Did you use the old ones? And if so how did you mount it? Or did you get new ones?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote