Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #71
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 13,967
Very detailed and informative mod thread, and I also like that shop!
__________________

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
BigJohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florien, LA
Posts: 1,146
Bumper / Misc. Repaint

Jayco was kind enough when they built my unit, to paint directly over lots of rust on the bumper brackets and other stuff. It looked pretty crappy to say the least. Finally broke down and redid everything. My preference has always been VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Satin Black. It holds up very well, and is a shade easier than breaking out a Binks for these type of projects.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5868.jpg   IMG_5874.jpg  
__________________

__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I never did post this, but it's really not a mod. The accessory hitch that you can get on the Jay Flights is ok. It serves it's purpose, and being rated at 300 lbs, you can put a few good things back there if you wanted to. BUT, how many people have looked at the angle iron brackets that are welded to the frame to receive the hitch? 3 - 1" stitch welds per side. That's it. So maybe it will handle 300 lbs, static. I wouldn't want to test a dynamic load that big. So, first picture is the original welds, second picture is just one of the sides with a lot more weld. I also swapped out the Gr 5 bolts / nuts for Grade 8.
And how much longer would it have taken to weld it up properly from the factory?

I will save the soap box for later.
__________________
2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C 15K BTU, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
BigJohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florien, LA
Posts: 1,146
2016 Full Timing

Ok, I'm steering a little off of 28BHBE mods, but I only have about 4-5 more things to do to get this rig how I want. But, I will still post those as they get done. For now, since I'm out of materials, I figured I'd get back to our prep for full timing, again. For those that didn't know, we did full time for a year or so in a 40' cedar creek. We got out of it for a few reasons that I won't go into. Lets just say I could write a book on things you should think about before selling your house and committing to a new rig on the road.

So, the picture is of our cargo trailer we had when we full timed before. After we got out of it, I had gutted the interior with no intention of returning to the lifestyle. After getting out of full timing, we sold the big rig and bought the Jayco to keep camping, however we were practically homeless. Good thing there was a family owned house across from my shop (previously my granddad's house). So, we've been shacked up there for over a year now. Over this time, the oilfield has went to crap, and even though I'm still employed, we just haven't felt comfortable committing to another home. Add to the fact that my kids have been bugging me over this time about living in a camper again (They loved full timing), and the full timing thing is coming back into action. So, the plan that everybody agreed to is, we're out of here in January for a 3-4 month stretch in the Jayco, and the cargo trailer. The cargo trailer is being outfitted similar to what it was before, plus a few things. It serves as storage, mobile shop, man cave and whatever else you want to call it. If we can make it those 3-4 months in the what we consider a small rig, then we will be purchasing another 40' plus rig and hitting the road full time for hopefully a long time. The kids are very excited, and have already picked "Their" new Jayco full time fifth wheel. Actually they're arguing over the floor plan. So, stay tuned over the next several months.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5877.jpg  
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 3,700
Are you planning to run 2 vehicles? Or are you thinking you'll tandem-tow the cargo trailer? Just curious.

As an aside, MANY of our clients deal with the oil fields in varying capacities from pipe/valve manufacturers to welders to land/mineral interest owners. ALL of them are feeling the squeeze. For my part, I'm happy the price per barrel is so low; now I can afford to take my fuel guzzling truck on more RV trips!
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #76
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fruitland
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Lets just say I could write a book on things you should think about before selling your house and committing to a new rig on the road.
Sounds like a good topic for another fine thread. We just went full time I'd love to hear your thoughts.
__________________
2016 Jayco Jayflight 24fbs Elite w/Thermal
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
BigJohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florien, LA
Posts: 1,146
Hey Bob, we always have run 2 vehicles. Always too close on the loaded weights to add much more. And of course I gotta have one for work 21 days at a time and wife keeps hers wherever we're at. I don't like the oilfield being down, but believe me, like you I love the cheap gas and diesel right now.
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wasaga Beach
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Jayco was kind enough when they built my unit, to paint directly over lots of rust on the bumper brackets and other stuff. It looked pretty crappy to say the least. Finally broke down and redid everything. My preference has always been VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Satin Black. It holds up very well, and is a shade easier than breaking out a Binks for these type of projects.
I got under my trailer this fall and sanded off what rust I could get at and sprayed it with Tremclad satin black. Rust attacks pretty fast with the poor painting they get from the factory. Some used trailers I looked at when shopping were in horrible shape from being hauled when salt is on the road.
__________________
2011 Ford F350 CC LB DRW
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
BigJohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florien, LA
Posts: 1,146
Players, that's why I find it funny how most manufacturers advertise their great "coating" on the frames, which is no better than krylon spray paint in my opinion. We usually do annual touch ups.

Ok, I had forgotten about something I wanted to do. This is almost 28BHBE specific. On this particular model, there's a few things going on under the bottom bunk. You have the backside of the water heater, main water inlet, misc. hot / cold lines, back of outside shower, an opening to under the shower etc. Of course you also have the thin cargo door which has little to no insulation factor. In our previous rig, we blocked off this similar located cargo door with 1" block foam. Can't really do it in this one. So, I know it really wasn't necessary, but why not. I added a heat duct under that bunk to keep the area warmer than cold. Yes, I measured several times to make sure I was going to tap into the floor heat duct run. Hole was cut (2-1/4"), lined with ducting tape and vent installed. It doesn't look as good as I wanted it to, but I worked with what parts I had. I'm a packrat for RV parts, and just so happened to have 8 of these vents laying around. May change it out later for a smaller one. Under the bunk stays nice and warm now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5883.jpg   IMG_5884.jpg  
__________________
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Players, that's why I find it funny how most manufacturers advertise their great "coating" on the frames, which is no better than krylon spray paint in my opinion. We usually do annual touch ups.

Ok, I had forgotten about something I wanted to do. This is almost 28BHBE specific. On this particular model, there's a few things going on under the bottom bunk. You have the backside of the water heater, main water inlet, misc. hot / cold lines, back of outside shower, an opening to under the shower etc. Of course you also have the thin cargo door which has little to no insulation factor. In our previous rig, we blocked off this similar located cargo door with 1" block foam. Can't really do it in this one. So, I know it really wasn't necessary, but why not. I added a heat duct under that bunk to keep the area warmer than cold. Yes, I measured several times to make sure I was going to tap into the floor heat duct run. Hole was cut (2-1/4"), lined with ducting tape and vent installed. It doesn't look as good as I wanted it to, but I worked with what parts I had. I'm a packrat for RV parts, and just so happened to have 8 of these vents laying around. May change it out later for a smaller one. Under the bunk stays nice and warm now.
Cool idea!

Question: Where's that telephone line going, and what's it for? I would assume it goes to an EMS, but that cord looks like it goes into the bathroom?
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.