Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #161

I've had plenty of "wants" or "requests" from others to do things, but they always end with, you live too far away. I did just finish a few things on my father in law's rig a couple of weeks ago, but nothing special. I would say I'm done for now, but that's when something else comes up. Oh yeah, inverter is next when funds allow.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Great work!!!

As to what next after all the kids are done, maybe knock on a neighbors door and ask them if they need a couple thing modded! Lol

Way to much work and time to just sell the rig off and start over.

Keep up the mods!!!
Seriously. Are you still looking for work? You could have quite a business "customizing" and "upgrading" trailers. There are plenty of users on here and other forums who complain that the QC is just not what it should be and that they would pay a little extra for that little added quality or customization. The manufacturers aren't willing to collect on that, but you could! I know you said most users here are too far away, but you could hit up a couple local dealers and put some feelers out to see if there would be any demand. You already have quite a portfolio of work that dealers wouldn't be willing to do anyway, and their customers could be made REALLY happy. AND it seems like you really like what you do; besides that, you seem to be pretty darn good at it...

Anyway, I love the boot box idea. I've been toying with an idea like that for a while now. I might just steal yours!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Thank you Tom. You got me whooped on the mods. I can't remember how many pages you have now. As always, love them, and great job on your end as well.

You are too kind sir. Mine are simple customizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #164

I agree with camper bob. You should find a way to monetize your talents and passion for RV customizing. Maybe a mobile tech of sorts?

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I agree with camper bob. You should find a way to monetize your talents and passion for RV customizing. Maybe a mobile tech of sorts?

John,

Just think of the sights you would see while traveling for jobs!!!

ps: if a mod could change the darn "kids" to "mods" I would appreciate it!!! Darn auto correct!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #166

i will echo the many thanks in this thread and the praise on the great work. I am new to TT's and your mods are practical, well thought out, and executed. My wife has asked (without seeing this thread) for exactly what you have done on some of these mods. After only a couple of outings in our new TT she said we needed a place for shoes, a place to store a ladder and sewer and i was thinking about the roof sealant. your thread is a one stop shop.

I won't tell her about the fridge mod just yet LOL.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #167

Man, I really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. I'm actually working on getting a job in Baton Rouge at a hospital right now. Yes, quite different than RVs. Gotta remember, 3 young kids, and I need affordable benefits quick. Have been out of work since early March.

Toklas, thank you for the post. Anything you need, just shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to provide you with any information you need. My wife knows all of my skills, therefore she strategically asks for certain things. Normally she never asks for much, so when she does, I never say no.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #168

Hope all goes well regarding the new job!!!

Keep us posted.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #169

Quote:
Man, I really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. I'm actually working on getting a job in Baton Rouge at a hospital right now. Yes, quite different than RVs. Gotta remember, 3 young kids, and I need affordable benefits quick. Have been out of work since early March.

Toklas, thank you for the post. Anything you need, just shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to provide you with any information you need. My wife knows all of my skills, therefore she strategically asks for certain things. Normally she never asks for much, so when she does, I never say no.
good luck on the new job. I also have 3 young kids (all girls!!) so i know that putting food on the table and their health is a weight we bare. proudly bare!

mine are 11, 6, and 2.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #170

Funny thing is, last night i was telling my wife i needed to buy the wetbolt/shackle kit and the cross braces and go see BigJohn! Good excuse for a cross country trip in my opinion
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #171

I know that if John was my neighbor, he would be my BEST friend!

Good luck with the new job...let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I know that if John was my neighbor, he would be my BEST friend!

Good luck with the new job...let us know how it turns out.
Truer words have never been spoken!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #173

Thank you Dan. Good luck with the 377. That is a fine rig that I'd love to go to town on.

Thank you Marcm357.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #174

John, where did you get the extra poles and floor holders for the dinning room table? The 29.5 table is Wobblie as well. I want to see if I can do something to mine to help out. DW hates the wobble in the table.

Another I have is maybe just add a wall-mounted bracket (like the outside grill mounts some campers have) so when we set the table up, it can rest on the wall bracket. I think this would create a nice brace and stop it from moving.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #175

Dave,
Here's the parts I ordered:

Table Legs: ITC (81TL27-BH-DB) SurFit black 27" Table Leg
Pedestal Base: ITC (TS1000HPPR-B-DB) SurFit High Polymer Table Base

I got these off of Amazon and they are the exact parts that were originally installed in the RV.

Here's a link to the parts on the manf. website:
SurFitâ„¢ Table Leg & Base System - ITC Marine

I have 4 legs on the new table, and there is absolutely no wobble. The new table is twice the size of the original.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #176

Custom Table Cloth

Got a fitted table cloth made for the new table. Not sure what it's made of really. Pleather? Either way, thank goodness my mom is a great seamstress. She's hooked me up with a pin box cover and black out curtains in the past, so she was happy to help this time as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7192.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #177

So here's a little info from this last weekend. I'm not knocking anybody who likes skylights and "natural light", BUT, here's proof that what I do works. Both of my skylights are insulated / deleted as seen in the mods. 6 out of the 9 windows in the RV are covered in reflectix. The outside temp of 100 deg was read under the awning in the shade between 14:00 and 15:00 (Clock was not set right in the picture, AND, that's between 2-3 pm for those that don't use the 24 hr time clock). The RV itself was exposed to full sun as seen in the picture. Heat index was around 110 deg. Temp setting on the coleman electronic thermostat was 73 deg, and yes, the inside temp maintained 73 deg. The sensor inside was placed near center of the RV, and in a place where it was NOT being hit by the air off of a register, as that would give a false reading. This is a 15k single coleman unit on a 33' rig. So, yes, it is possible to keep cool, if you play your cards right. Our last 40' rig with 4 slides would maintain 70 deg in the same temps with 2 AC's, with a few mods. Think twice before you want that natural light, as natural radiant heat comes with it, especially in the southern states.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7177.jpg   IMG_7179.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #178

Quote:
So here's a little info from this last weekend. I'm not knocking anybody who likes skylights and "natural light", BUT, here's proof that what I do works. Both of my skylights are insulated / deleted as seen in the mods. 6 out of the 9 windows in the RV are covered in reflectix. The outside temp of 100 deg was read under the awning in the shade between 14:00 and 15:00 (Clock was not set right in the picture, AND, that's between 2-3 pm for those that don't use the 24 hr time clock). The RV itself was exposed to full sun as seen in the picture. Heat index was around 110 deg. Temp setting on the coleman electronic thermostat was 73 deg, and yes, the inside temp maintained 73 deg. The sensor inside was placed near center of the RV, and in a place where it was NOT being hit by the air off of a register, as that would give a false reading. This is a 15k single coleman unit on a 33' rig. So, yes, it is possible to keep cool, if you play your cards right. Our last 40' rig with 4 slides would maintain 70 deg in the same temps with 2 AC's, with a few mods. Think twice before you want that natural light, as natural radiant heat comes with it, especially in the southern states.
Other than the Reflectix, and the skylight delete, do you have any other AC related mods in the trailer? Any added insulation tucked away somewhere? I see you have a slideout cover; do you think that has helped?

I don't have a skylight, or a slideout cover, but I have a roll of reflectix. DW doesn't want to put it in the windows because she things it looks "trashy" but if I can convince her it really makes a worthwhile difference, I think it would help. Right now, we're thinking of installing a 2nd AC unit (we already have 50A and "AC Prep").

Really, our current solution is not to camp this time of year. We had to cut our last trip short because it was just too hot and we didn't want to be holed up in the trailer even if we COULD keep it cool.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #179

Hey Bob,
On this rig, I haven't gone above and beyond like the last one. I know the way I did the skylight far exceeds just sticking a cover over the inner panel, but you said you didn't have a skylight. Not even in the bath / shower? The reflectix in the windows is very snug and is fitted between the window and interior screen. You really can't see it much with the tinted windows. The slide top definitely does help, considering the roof on the slide is extremely thin. All vents have the outer covers as well as the thick pillows inside. Other than that, keeping the AC extremely clean. I probably change filters at a minimum once a week. I cut my own and it's cheap insurance. I also clean the condenser and evap coils 2-3 times a year.

There are some other things I've done on the larger rig before that I guess is worth mentioning. On that one I built air deflectors under the squirrel cage blower in the AC that tied it directly to the 2 duct runs. Talk about increase in air flow. It almost eliminates the quick cool feature, but the airflow everywhere else is worth it. I've also built small scoop type outfits at certain ceiling registers to direct more or less cooling in certain areas. A lot of times I baffle off the duct run right at the last register on that run. On some other rigs, I have had them not be sealed so good thus losing a lot of air into the ceiling or wherever else it doesn't need to be. I use pipe insulation for that as it's easy to shove up in the duct to seal off just past the register. And of course, have wrapped AC return air box (outside) with more reflectix to keep the return air from being affected as much by the outside heat.

I really debated going anywhere in this heat, but, just had to, and kids wanted to go. That said though, the shop fan ran all day with water misters attached to make it a little more bearable.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #180

Quote:
Hey Bob,
On this rig, I haven't gone above and beyond like the last one. I know the way I did the skylight far exceeds just sticking a cover over the inner panel, but you said you didn't have a skylight. Not even in the bath / shower? The reflectix in the windows is very snug and is fitted between the window and interior screen. You really can't see it much with the tinted windows. The slide top definitely does help, considering the roof on the slide is extremely thin. All vents have the outer covers as well as the thick pillows inside. Other than that, keeping the AC extremely clean. I probably change filters at a minimum once a week. I cut my own and it's cheap insurance. I also clean the condenser and evap coils 2-3 times a year.

There are some other things I've done on the larger rig before that I guess is worth mentioning. On that one I built air deflectors under the squirrel cage blower in the AC that tied it directly to the 2 duct runs. Talk about increase in air flow. It almost eliminates the quick cool feature, but the airflow everywhere else is worth it. I've also built small scoop type outfits at certain ceiling registers to direct more or less cooling in certain areas. A lot of times I baffle off the duct run right at the last register on that run. On some other rigs, I have had them not be sealed so good thus losing a lot of air into the ceiling or wherever else it doesn't need to be. I use pipe insulation for that as it's easy to shove up in the duct to seal off just past the register. And of course, have wrapped AC return air box (outside) with more reflectix to keep the return air from being affected as much by the outside heat.

I really debated going anywhere in this heat, but, just had to, and kids wanted to go. That said though, the shop fan ran all day with water misters attached to make it a little more bearable.
Thanks John!

We only have the one vent for the entire trailer, it's in the bathroom. ETA: We DO have a skylight in the shower, but I don't see myself sealing that one up...

It's on my to-do list the very next time I have the trailer to drop all the registers and make sure I'm not losing air into the "attic". I replaced the one in the front bedroom from a directional register to one of those screw-out ones because DW and I got tired of arguing over who it was pointed at. While I was up there doing that, I noticed how sloppy those registers are, so I plan to remedy that. I'll definitely see if I can implement some of your other pointers while I'm at it.

At the same time, I plan to add reflectix to the cold side of the outside unit up top.

I will also have to take a look at the ducting and the air return. My bathroom vent blows like CRAZY while the bedroom vent blows about half. Unfortunately with those louvered vents, I can't trim down the rear of the trailer to get the front vents to blow harder; they just close as soon as there's pressure. AND there are no vents in the bunks, so I kind of want a lot of air back there anyway or it gets REALLY stuffy and hot in that bottom bunk. My son has woken up much hotter than I'm comfortable with and soaked with sweat after a few hours in that bunk. So we point the vents at the bunk, leave the curtain open a bit and deploy a small clip-on fan and that has helped.

Which brings me to my next project; to insulate the bottom bunk in the rear. At the same time, I'll seal up and insulate the master bed up front. Lots of heat from those two places, and relatively simple to make significant improvements.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV