Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #61

Great write ups on your mods.

You pulled the windows and swapped the refer on a '15 trailer?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #62

Yes sir I did. Did have some things that pushed projects along faster than intended, like fridge issues. Nothing on the market exactly like what we want or expect, so we choose to buy "close enough", and make it how we want.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #63

I really like the size of your building. I want one.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I really like the size of your building. I want one.
+1!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #65

Very few have took the grand tour of it, as it is in the middle of nowhere. But, if anybody is ever in the area, your welcome to stop by, have coffee or other beverages, and maybe even work on something. It's one of those places you can leave doors unlocked. It has roughly 6000 sq ft of space to work with, contains a welding shop, a wood shop, an apartment in the middle with everything you could need (washer, dryer, tub shower, small kitchen then living / sleeping area), lots of storage upstairs, and of course full hookups where that RV sits. I get asked sometimes if I won the lottery when looking at that shop. The answer is no. There was a time I was single. I've been offshore for 20 years, and at the time (2002), I was single, wanted a shop, and that's where my money went. A LOT of it, most of it, etc. Now, I couldn't afford to build one bay of it now, married, 3 kids, quite the different life, and income now. So, that's part of the story on the shop / building.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #66

Here's a floor plan of the shop. Very little has changed, besides the fact I'm out of room and out of places to add on.
Attached Thumbnails
Shop Floorplan.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Here's a floor plan of the shop. Very little has changed, besides the fact I'm out of room and out of places to add on.
Man, I know guys who run their BUSINESS out of shops less equipped than that! A LOT less equipped! But like you said, times were good back when you built it, and I'd say it was money well spent. I would love to have something 1/4 that size. As it is, all I've got is my garage and driveway. Luckily, DW insists that vehicles go in the garage, so when i have a project, I just back the truck and her XTerra out, and I have a pretty nice open space to work in. So far all my tools fit around the perimeter and I have a nice spot for a work bench. Long materials get stored on the floor under the vehicles. It works for now...

Some day, I'll own some acreage further out of town. And some day I'll put a shop on that land... Gotta have goals!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Man, I know guys who run their BUSINESS out of shops less equipped than that! A LOT less equipped! But like you said, times were good back when you built it, and I'd say it was money well spent. I would love to have something 1/4 that size. As it is, all I've got is my garage and driveway. Luckily, DW insists that vehicles go in the garage, so when i have a project, I just back the truck and her XTerra out, and I have a pretty nice open space to work in. So far all my tools fit around the perimeter and I have a nice spot for a work bench. Long materials get stored on the floor under the vehicles. It works for now...

Some day, I'll own some acreage further out of town. And some day I'll put a shop on that land... Gotta have goals!
That is exactly what I am doing. We just sold the house and we are to be out by Monday. Packing, packing, and more packing.

Not sure where I am moving too so I bought two shipping containers to store all my stuff. A friend is letting me keep them at his place until I get a piece of land of my own.

So, I bought the RV to stay in until I figure out where I am going to live and what the property will or not have when purchased.

I will go from there.

I was thinking of a shop 20' x 20'. But now with the RV, it looks like one wall will have to be a minimum of 50-55'.

I should never have seen BigJohns building. Just like the TT, I was looking at the JayFlight 34RSBS and you can see what I wound up acquiring.

Thanks for the floorplan attachment. Happy Holidays to you and yours!
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #69

An Oldie I Never Posted

I never did post this, but it's really not a mod. The accessory hitch that you can get on the Jay Flights is ok. It serves it's purpose, and being rated at 300 lbs, you can put a few good things back there if you wanted to. BUT, how many people have looked at the angle iron brackets that are welded to the frame to receive the hitch? 3 - 1" stitch welds per side. That's it. So maybe it will handle 300 lbs, static. I wouldn't want to test a dynamic load that big. So, first picture is the original welds, second picture is just one of the sides with a lot more weld. I also swapped out the Gr 5 bolts / nuts for Grade 8.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5846.jpg   IMG_5857.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #70

Sheet Metal

I like the fact that Jayco puts sheet metal above the wheels to help prevent damage in the event of a blowout. Ours somehow suffered a little damage to the Darco in transit from Indiana to home. The Darco aft of the wheels looked as if they had ran through some sharp rocks and it punctured the Darco. Several small holes. I patched it all up with gorilla tape for the last year, but today I decided to put sheet metal from the wheels to the rear of the trailer. As long as you're running dry, all is good. If you're running in a monsoon, there is that chance of getting water up in the Darco (in our case with the punctures), which would wet the insulation and probably not dry out real quick. Not a necessity to put the sheet metal since I had patched the holes, but makes me feel better anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5860.jpg   IMG_5864.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #71
Site Team

Very detailed and informative mod thread, and I also like that shop!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #72

Bumper / Misc. Repaint

Jayco was kind enough when they built my unit, to paint directly over lots of rust on the bumper brackets and other stuff. It looked pretty crappy to say the least. Finally broke down and redid everything. My preference has always been VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Satin Black. It holds up very well, and is a shade easier than breaking out a Binks for these type of projects.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5868.jpg   IMG_5874.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #73

Quote:
I never did post this, but it's really not a mod. The accessory hitch that you can get on the Jay Flights is ok. It serves it's purpose, and being rated at 300 lbs, you can put a few good things back there if you wanted to. BUT, how many people have looked at the angle iron brackets that are welded to the frame to receive the hitch? 3 - 1" stitch welds per side. That's it. So maybe it will handle 300 lbs, static. I wouldn't want to test a dynamic load that big. So, first picture is the original welds, second picture is just one of the sides with a lot more weld. I also swapped out the Gr 5 bolts / nuts for Grade 8.
And how much longer would it have taken to weld it up properly from the factory?

I will save the soap box for later.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #74

2016 Full Timing

Ok, I'm steering a little off of 28BHBE mods, but I only have about 4-5 more things to do to get this rig how I want. But, I will still post those as they get done. For now, since I'm out of materials, I figured I'd get back to our prep for full timing, again. For those that didn't know, we did full time for a year or so in a 40' cedar creek. We got out of it for a few reasons that I won't go into. Lets just say I could write a book on things you should think about before selling your house and committing to a new rig on the road.

So, the picture is of our cargo trailer we had when we full timed before. After we got out of it, I had gutted the interior with no intention of returning to the lifestyle. After getting out of full timing, we sold the big rig and bought the Jayco to keep camping, however we were practically homeless. Good thing there was a family owned house across from my shop (previously my granddad's house). So, we've been shacked up there for over a year now. Over this time, the oilfield has went to crap, and even though I'm still employed, we just haven't felt comfortable committing to another home. Add to the fact that my kids have been bugging me over this time about living in a camper again (They loved full timing), and the full timing thing is coming back into action. So, the plan that everybody agreed to is, we're out of here in January for a 3-4 month stretch in the Jayco, and the cargo trailer. The cargo trailer is being outfitted similar to what it was before, plus a few things. It serves as storage, mobile shop, man cave and whatever else you want to call it. If we can make it those 3-4 months in the what we consider a small rig, then we will be purchasing another 40' plus rig and hitting the road full time for hopefully a long time. The kids are very excited, and have already picked "Their" new Jayco full time fifth wheel. Actually they're arguing over the floor plan. So, stay tuned over the next several months.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5877.jpg  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #75

Are you planning to run 2 vehicles? Or are you thinking you'll tandem-tow the cargo trailer? Just curious.

As an aside, MANY of our clients deal with the oil fields in varying capacities from pipe/valve manufacturers to welders to land/mineral interest owners. ALL of them are feeling the squeeze. For my part, I'm happy the price per barrel is so low; now I can afford to take my fuel guzzling truck on more RV trips!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #76

Quote:
Lets just say I could write a book on things you should think about before selling your house and committing to a new rig on the road.
Sounds like a good topic for another fine thread. We just went full time I'd love to hear your thoughts.
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #77

Hey Bob, we always have run 2 vehicles. Always too close on the loaded weights to add much more. And of course I gotta have one for work 21 days at a time and wife keeps hers wherever we're at. I don't like the oilfield being down, but believe me, like you I love the cheap gas and diesel right now.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #78

Quote:
Jayco was kind enough when they built my unit, to paint directly over lots of rust on the bumper brackets and other stuff. It looked pretty crappy to say the least. Finally broke down and redid everything. My preference has always been VHT Roll Bar & Chassis Satin Black. It holds up very well, and is a shade easier than breaking out a Binks for these type of projects.
I got under my trailer this fall and sanded off what rust I could get at and sprayed it with Tremclad satin black. Rust attacks pretty fast with the poor painting they get from the factory. Some used trailers I looked at when shopping were in horrible shape from being hauled when salt is on the road.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #79

Players, that's why I find it funny how most manufacturers advertise their great "coating" on the frames, which is no better than krylon spray paint in my opinion. We usually do annual touch ups.

Ok, I had forgotten about something I wanted to do. This is almost 28BHBE specific. On this particular model, there's a few things going on under the bottom bunk. You have the backside of the water heater, main water inlet, misc. hot / cold lines, back of outside shower, an opening to under the shower etc. Of course you also have the thin cargo door which has little to no insulation factor. In our previous rig, we blocked off this similar located cargo door with 1" block foam. Can't really do it in this one. So, I know it really wasn't necessary, but why not. I added a heat duct under that bunk to keep the area warmer than cold. Yes, I measured several times to make sure I was going to tap into the floor heat duct run. Hole was cut (2-1/4"), lined with ducting tape and vent installed. It doesn't look as good as I wanted it to, but I worked with what parts I had. I'm a packrat for RV parts, and just so happened to have 8 of these vents laying around. May change it out later for a smaller one. Under the bunk stays nice and warm now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5883.jpg   IMG_5884.jpg  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #80

Quote:
Players, that's why I find it funny how most manufacturers advertise their great "coating" on the frames, which is no better than krylon spray paint in my opinion. We usually do annual touch ups.

Ok, I had forgotten about something I wanted to do. This is almost 28BHBE specific. On this particular model, there's a few things going on under the bottom bunk. You have the backside of the water heater, main water inlet, misc. hot / cold lines, back of outside shower, an opening to under the shower etc. Of course you also have the thin cargo door which has little to no insulation factor. In our previous rig, we blocked off this similar located cargo door with 1" block foam. Can't really do it in this one. So, I know it really wasn't necessary, but why not. I added a heat duct under that bunk to keep the area warmer than cold. Yes, I measured several times to make sure I was going to tap into the floor heat duct run. Hole was cut (2-1/4"), lined with ducting tape and vent installed. It doesn't look as good as I wanted it to, but I worked with what parts I had. I'm a packrat for RV parts, and just so happened to have 8 of these vents laying around. May change it out later for a smaller one. Under the bunk stays nice and warm now.
Cool idea!

Question: Where's that telephone line going, and what's it for? I would assume it goes to an EMS, but that cord looks like it goes into the bathroom?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV