Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Cable TV

We just bought a new Jayco 154BH. Great camper but one of the first things we did was add a TV. After all, the antenna was already installed, right? Works great for pulling in local stations. Well, we are planning a trip in the fall where several of the campgrounds we are planning on staying at offer cable TV. Any thoughts on mods to add some type of cable outlet without damaging the camper?
JimboC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

I have seen some "flat" coax cable that can be closed in a window. That might be the least intrusive. They do make a nice clean connector that goes the outside of the trailer - it would not damage it, but you could have to drill a hole.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

You can get those flat cables at Radio Shack.. Under $5.00 ea
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

Hello JimboC,
I just purchased a 154bh and am waiting for delivery. I wanted to know how you mounted the tv in the trailer and how to connect the cables? Please guide me if you can
Newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #5

Are you sure you dont have a flip up lid on the outside of your traile usually pretty close to the shore power connector that has two televison type connectors one labeled CABLE and the other one LABELED SAT.

I would be very surprised these connector are not already installed on your trailer.

On the inside you should see TV connectors in the main living area and the bedroom area.
The one in the living room area will be right next to the one that has the RED button you already are using for the OTA antenna reception.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

My 145 RB most definitely does not have an outside cable connector. Adding one is on my list of mods-to-do.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

Can you tell me what these door are for on this side of your 145RB

The one in particular is just below the door where your pull-out 30A cable is located. Right below this is another small door and should be you CABLE TV connection.

The other two large connection to the left of your fridg is the water connections.

I also see something up higher closer to the edge of the trailer that is above the spec sticker in this photo. I cant tell what that is...

I just cannot imagine that all of your inside TV connections are installed and you dont have an outside TV connection. They went to all the effort of installing inside wiring and dont include the outside connection. Just doesnt make sense to me...

I'm still looking on google images and see if I cant find a close up of this area.

I found a real close up photo of all of this but it wont let me post it here on the forum.

found this...

After looking at this photo I dont see the same flip lid in the above photo.
Do you have a lid under the pull out 30A cable lid?...

What is next to the ORANGE running light on the LEFT. That looks like a connector also of some sort.

Ill do some more looking... Not that i dont believe you but I dont believe you haha... You must not have found it yet. This is a 2012 model too...

found this...

This write-up said it had cable TV hookup so this must be the place where it is installed. In this picture it is behind the black shore power cable coming from the shore power cable 30A lid.

If it were me this is where I would install and not do some jeri-rig thing. It could be the wiring is behind this area anyway sine the inside of the trailer is wired for TV. I would get to the other side of this spot and see what is behind the wall. You may find all the cables already run to this location.

It is a very easy thing to mount one of those TV connector flip lids... One large hole in the middle and for screw holes and dope the crap out of it with DICOR sealent. It isnt going to leak on you... I mounted a second similar connect on my fifth wheel for some HF antenna connectors. You just have to look on the other side of the wall and make sure nothing is there before drilling. Since this is new i would almost take it back to the dealer and let him install one for you. This is way less than an one hour job if you had all the parts already.

OH NO - I was talking to AZJERRY and it turns out I should be tallking to JIMBOC with a Jayco 154BH trailer. This means my pictures are possible all wrong haha... Maybe i should just go watch TV for awhile...

As it turns out the pictures of this area of the trailer seems to be the same as a JAYCO 154BH model... geeesch...

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

Just to answer your questions about my 145RB:
- To the right of the orange runnning light and under the yellow label is another label.
- To the left of the water heater panel are the two water fills
- To the right of the water heater is the pull out 30A cord
- Under the Swift decal is the furnace

The TV/12V connector is right of the window and above the upper fridge panel. I plan on, probably, drilling through the outside from behind that connector panel. I haven't taken it off yet to see what it looks like.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #9

AZJERRY - Is there any way to get behind the panel where the SHORE POWER CABLE gets pushed into the trailer. Just below this lid is where JAYCO probably has mounted the CABLE/SAT TV connectors in a flip lid box.

Its possible that JACO has already run the cables you are going to need to connect these cables to where they hook up inside the trailer.

I would definately look in the area and see what is there. I have no idea what is on the other of this wall but the SHORE POWER CABLE has to coild up inside a open area just behind the wall and I'm betting your will find two COAX CABLES not hooked up behind this wall. I suspect the on-board CONVERTER/CHARGER unit is not very far from this area as well where the SHORE POWER CABLE will hook up to.

You can see the CABLE/SAT FLIP BOX in the first and last pictures I posted under the SHORE POWER CABLE lid. The bottom picture said this trailer has CABLE/SAT connections installed. The middle photo didnt say anything about CABLE/SAT TV connections.

If those two RG TV cables are laying inside the SHORE POWER CABLE coil up area it would be silly to me to not use them. They will eventually connect to the panel where the OTA panel is installed (the one with the push button on it to send 12VDC power up to the OTA Antenna built-in amplifier).

The TV connection shown here is where those two RG cables will connect to.
Now that i have looked at this photo you will have complete access to the coil-up area under the bench seat. PLease look in this area for your two RG TV cables laying in the floor behind the converter/charger box. If all of this is where these cables are located then this is where I would mount the CABLE/SAT TV connector box on the outside wall... This is where it porbably is suppose to be installed...

This is what my outside CABLE/SAT DUAL TV connector flip box looks like... Easy install thru the wall.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

Ah, that's a bet you'll lose.

Here's a picture of the area under the dinette seat next to the fridge. The shore cord gets pushed into the sealed wood box above the converter (at the bottom of the picture). You can see the shore cord exiting the lower left corner of that box. There are no coax cables visible anywhere under the seat.

I also took the Winegard 12V/TV plate off the wall. There is one coax attached to the Antenna connector. The Set 2 and Cable connectors are empty.

It's quite obvious to me they didn't intend for an outside cable TV connector. I believe if Jayco could have found a 12V/antenna only plate for less money they would have used that.

I should be easy enough to remedy, though.
Attached Thumbnails
2012-05-15 17.31.07.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #11

Ah so.... Thanks for looking. Win some lose some hehe...

I just cant image why JAYCO would not wire the trailer up for TV connections. Especially since they have included most of the inside TV wiring already.

Learn something everyday here...

Must be something JAYCO does alot as a couple of others on here are saying the same thing.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

Just a way of saving a dollar, I suppose. At least I know the TV antenna and radio work.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #13

Solution for cable in Swift SLX - I had another forum member send me pics on what he did and that got me rolling.

Basically ran about 35 ft of cut cable - started with feeding through shore power hole ( use Velcro tie to keep secure to power cord so will not fall back in housing when putting power cord back up). Ran and secured wire all ling bench seats and behind water tank and made small hole in bottom corner where floor hits seem of front camper wall. Ran along that seem and back through small hole to other side (side with kitchen and counter space for tv). Then ran under that bench with small hole coming out by door and ran under door finish panel ramp. I then spliced ends and put on cable connectors (used cable without ends so would be thinner to run through camper and smaller holes to drill). Only place you can really see is stretch that runs across floor seem at front floor of camper but with table up or bed made you cannot even see. Still looks fine even if you can see. I then purchased 25ft cord to connect outside to my cord in shore power housing - will just attach when wanting to hook up cable. Pretty simple altogether.
bench724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #14

I would suggest you send and email to Jayco Customer Support on their website. Include your Jayco serial number and ask them to email you the cable installation-TV diagram. They have send me numerous items and diagrams I have requested by email for my 2005 Granite Ridge, quite quickly and without charge.

Just what I would do.
Charles
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote