Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Camco Countertop Extension - Does it fold flat?

I just installed the countertop extension I got for father's day on my 2011 Starcraft 235fb (twin to the Jayco 23fb or 23rb, depending on model year).
I followed the instructions to the letter. Even remeasured everything once it was all done...all measurements according to directions.

Yet, when I fold the extension down, it does not fold flat, but rather sticks out at about a 33 degree angle. The locking bracket only folds so far and then the two folding parts of the bracket bind against each other preventing it from folding farther.

Is this normal? For those of you who have installed this, did you have this same situation? Or what did you do to get it to fold flat. Thanks for any ideas or advice.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

did you put the hinge on backwards
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

I have installed several of these. I remember one wasn' t fully collapsing properly. It's been awhile but if I remember correctly,I had to reposition the locking leg to a different position on both ends to get it working properly. Can't exactly remember the reasoning behind it but it took care of the issue. I think it had somerhing to with the overhang and distance from side of cabinet. Hope this helps.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabalin View Post
did you put the hinge on backwards
No. Hinge location, position and everything exactly according to instructions.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
I have installed several of these. I remember one wasn' t fully collapsing properly. It's been awhile but if I remember correctly,I had to reposition the locking leg to a different position on both ends to get it working properly. Can't exactly remember the reasoning behind it but it took care of the issue. I think it had somerhing to with the overhang and distance from side of cabinet. Hope this helps.
OK, that's what I was thinking. I just didn't want to drill more holes and find that it still doesn't fold flat. Did you use some trick or method to insure a flat fold before you drilled more holes?

Any other tips/tricks from others who have installed and solved this problem would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

Been a long time, but I think you have to put a small "rail" under hinges, which allows space for the brackets to fold . Something like 3/4" or so. As I said it's been years since I installed one of these.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Been a long time, but I think you have to put a small "rail" under hinges, which allows space for the brackets to fold . Something like 3/4" or so. As I said it's been years since I installed one of these.
Thanks, but I don't think that's it. I have a lip on my base cabinet countertop, so there is about 1.5 inch overhang on the base cabinet to where the countertop ends. So there is plenty of room for the bracket to fold and have the Camco countertop fold flat. The problem is the bracket binding against itself (its two folding parts).
Old 06-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Is this going to help ?

At one point in the video we can see briefly at 49 seconds that when folded the countertop isnt flat against the vertical panel.... resting at about 33 degrees like you mentionned

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

I'm sure mine were made by camco. Wood platform with piano hinge and a center arm that's like spring loaded and folds in half. I know about the holes, had a few but a little spot putty not a big deal underneath. It was a pain, had my wife hold it a hair above level, then kinda held that bracket where it looked good and folded to see how it worked. Think I only used one screw to test. It got done but wasn't easy. Also make sure that center arm isn't reversed, not sure if they could make a difference also.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

Thanks to Homer1959 and Shadester.
I'm going to sleep on this and start fresh in the morning and try Shadester's suggestion.
If it doesn't fold flatter, I will live with it...and yes, it certainly looks like it doesn't fold flat in that official Camco video either. In my opinion, that is a MAJOR design flaw.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #11

OK, so it is now morning and I have one more question.
Surely a lot of people have installed these. Does your fold down flat? Or do the ALL stick out at an angle. Just trying to determine if I'm trying to do something that there actually is a fix for. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #12

Why not calling Camco ? They may have a solution ? One thing for sure, i wouldnt keep it and i would look at a different solution but hey its just me :-) good luck but there is a way to fold it flat see the pic here https://www.google.ca/search?q=camco...UsTP_lFJ6cM%3A

Old 06-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #13

I watched homers video. When it first came on it shows the board stowed relatively flat. Later, it looks like it stows at a angle. I'm thinking it must be mainly dependent on the overhang. When collapsing, I would believe once that center arm hits the side of cabinet flush that's it. That would be hard to deal with especially in an aisle you walk past all the time. I wish I had pictures but I'm sure mine ended up pretty much parallel to the side of the cabinet. I have doubts with little or no hangs much can be done where it stows.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #14

Dewey02, I just went on Amazon and noticed in the reviews that several people complained that it did not fold flat and stuck out 3 or 4 inches. To me that would be a deal breaker and would send it back. I wondered if putting a strip of wood under the bracket would make a difference?
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #15

do you know if jayco makes an extension i can put onto my table in precepppt 31ul?
cathy.welles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

There is all kind of hinges at lowes that you can use to build the same extension, personnaly I would return it . Camco doesn't deserve your money