On my 2011 the awning support arms had another slot opposite the OEM wire already ran to the extend/retract motor. This is where I ran it from the motor to the side of the camper. Once there, I loosened the mount from the side of the camper and after slightly enlarging the existing entry point was able to get the wire inside the camper. This brought me in and behind my dresser. I removed the cargo bay panels, the main living room thermostat and the factory awning switch and fished it up through those slots. The only thing I had left to finish was to cut a hole to install the new switch and connect the wires. My plan was to finish it up this spring, however, the tornado had other plans.
I'm hoping to get it installed on our 2012 this coming week if I have time, but have several other projects to finish as well so we will see what happens.