Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

Cellular LTE antenna project

We thought we would share another antenna project with the group. This time for cellular voice and data for our Jay Flight 28BHS. I have posted the details on my project blog at:

Edward Plumer: Yet Another Trailer Antenna

Edward
dcplumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Just curious to ask if you've ever considered using PDA net on your phone (currently FoxFi). We just tether the phone to our laptop. Just a one time fee and we've transferred it to different phones.
Ozkamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #3

We use AT&T iPhones which have tethering built in ... AT&T just recently started allowing tethering on their network as part of the normal data plan. That is, in fact, what motivated the project. Even if we go over our data allotment, the incremental overage charge is still less than signing up for a week of data on the Verizon Mifi.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Nice!!!
I just need to explain to DW why I spent just under $500 for this setup. Currently, when we are at our summer location, we Call FWD the cell phones to our Magic-Jack # and pick them up on the old LAND LINE phone/ans machine.

Where we spend our summers is in a valley surrounded on all sides by 1500' mountains and the cell site is right around the 6 mile mark away from us. So if all the stars are in alignment she may get 2 bars, but it is usually 1 bar 99% of the time. I even tried the RV movie trick, standing on top of the TT.. 1 bar.

Will probably be looking into this one day.

If you can, track the cell tower mileage and see how the signals match up and where they start dropping off.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Cellular LTE antenna project

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplumer View Post
We use AT&T iPhones which have tethering built in ... AT&T just recently started allowing tethering on their network as part of the normal data plan. That is, in fact, what motivated the project. Even if we go over our data allotment, the incremental overage charge is still less than signing up for a week of data on the Verizon Mifi.

I have Verizon iPones and its free to use the phones as a hotspot (tethering is an old term). It's been that way for the two years we've had the service. Whatever we connect to the iPones just uses the data plan the phones have. No additional fees unless u go over your data plan but we never have...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Edward,

Is there a way to limit the individuals who can have access? I don't see how they could secure it with a ID/password. With out security the campers within the signal area would degrade the signal and DW would have 1.5 bars. Word would get out and all the campers would be sitting by our TT.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Edward,

Is there a way to limit the individuals who can have access? I don't see how they could secure it with a ID/password. With out security the campers within the signal area would degrade the signal and DW would have 1.5 bars. Word would get out and all the campers would be sitting by our TT.

Don
On my Android phone (v4.4.4, carrier is T-Mobile) when you create the hotspot you set a password that is used to complete the connection. This allows only those with the password to connect. I would assume that this option would be available when setting up on an iPhone as well.

Edit: I think I mis-understood Don's question - wasn't in regards to the hotspot/tethering comments....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

As mentioned, the hotspot itself is secured. The raw cellular signal boosting is not. However, it has nothing equivalent to an SSID broadcast to attract attention and the patch antenna does not radiate much outside the trailer.

Now, if they come in the trailer and camp out at our kitchen table, our labrador may have to give them a piece of his mind ;-)

Tags
antenna, jay flight 28bhs, lte