Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Coleman A/C Control Switch Repair

On our last outing in June, I noticed that in turning the A/C on via the control knob on the ceiling, I went through both Low Fan positions without the unit making a sound. When I hit High Fan, the blower started and when passing through Low Cool, the blower stopped, but I could hear the compressor running. I finally landed in the High Cool position and we had a good camping trip in cool comfort.

I decided to work on the unit this weekend ... hoping to determine whether it was a broken wire or a burned out blower motor winding. I killed power to the unit and pulled out the control panel so I could bring it inside to troubleshoot the switch. Sure enough there was no continuity between the line in and the out pin to low fan speed. I unplugged all 5 wires on the switch and tested continuity in all the various knob positions. I decided to open the switch to see if there were any burned contacts within. Once opened, I immediately saw nothing burned, just everything covered in a very thin grease, I broke out the alcohol and cleaned everything to remove the oily residue. I put a tiny dab of silicone lubricant on the rotary part and the bakelite axle and re assembled the switch. I tested continuity before I crimped the cover back into position...all positions showing continuity at the appropriate position. I reassembled the control panel into the A/C unit, set the circuit breaker and went through all the positions. I now had Low Fan and Low Cool, as well as High Fan and High Cool.

Conclusion: The Chinese made control switch should never have been lubricated with low temp grease that would liquify in the 90 degree + temperatures at the ceiling of a closed up camper in this SE Louisiana heat.

I hope this may help a fellow forum reader with a similar problem. Had I just replaced the switch, the problem would have likely recurred over time. ............... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
We thinks quality control is lacking in North America..................in China there's none at all. They probably sell used snow as new to the Eskimos in Alaska. Just think about the Tire crap is coming from there.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:48 AM   #3

It's great to see someone take the time to troubleshoot something down to the component level instead of jumping directly to parts replacement mode. I have always looked for ways to fix rather than replace.

Nice work sir!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
Site Team

I have tried to take switches that are held together with tabs before with limited success.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have tried to take switches that are held together with tabs before with limited success.
Norty,
I used a jeweler's screwdriver a pair of needle-nose pliers and a pair of diagonal pliers plus a whole lot of patience! I think the trick with those tabs is not over bending them. Just bend enough to clear the anchor points then slowly open the enclosure watching for flying springs. I spent more time figuring out where & how that little stainless steel leaf spring fit in the switch, than in cleaning and reassembling the switch and the A/C unit combined.

Good Camping to all. ......... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote